03. Piss On Your Grave
04. Zero Tolerance
05. Sent Off To Die
06. Fear The Reaper
07. Flatline Invasion
08. Thrashed To Kill
09. At Dawn We Ride
10. Taken By Force [feat. Josh Christian]

Thrashed To Kill resulted in drinks spilled.

When last we left Project Pain, I reviewed their debut I Have Sinned, the first album of some old school Dutch thrashers. With Thrashed To Kill it seems the band has continued their thrashin' ways, gobbling up Gouda, pounding Jenever, sticking their fingers in dikes and shoving their wooden shoes up the backsides of poor posers. Thrash. Sorry, hadn't used that word in a sentence or two, needed to get it in.

Thrashed To Kill represents a nice step forward for the band. It's still thrash, with all the various elements you expect, nay, DEMAND from your thrash. Riffs, riffs, riffs. Plenty of e-string chugging and galloping coupled with single note runs. Lots of shredding and soli, including a ripping cameo by Josh Christian of Toxik on "Taken By Force".

Sure, I have some minor quibbles with the album. The vocals are decent, but sound awkward when going super high, as in "Flatline Invasion". Additionally the production, while the guitars sound great, could use a little more grit and perhaps the drums some more muscle. Of course, it is the belief of the author that the best thrash sound would be something akin go Vio-lence Eternal Nightmare, only with the drum sound/force of Dave Lombardo on "War Ensemble". Thrashed To Kill, while not to my ideal, still sounds a hell of a lot better than, say, World Painted Magnetic.

The big thing is the riffs feel tighter. And better. They took what they did with I Have Sinned, worship of the 80s thrash of their glory years, and refined it. Instead of rusty hatchet thrash fury, you now get razor sharp thrash fury. Particularly the great 1-2 punch of "Piss On Your Grave" and "Zero Tolerance" which include such happy thoughts as "Zero tolerance/Punch you in your face".

The album has more barnburners than Amsterdam has "coffee houses"? The listener is bombarded by an unrelenting array mach666 riffs and all sorts of venom.

So if you dig the thrash, check it out.

And just one more time for shits and giggles.

Thrash!

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 7
Production: 7

Written on 23.04.2015 by BitterCOld has been officially reviewing albums for MetalStorm since 2009.

Comments

Comments: 9   Visited by: 142 users
23.04.2015 - 16:40
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Is Takn By Force by any chance a Scorpions cover?
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

23.04.2015 - 17:06
Rating: 7
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 23.04.2015 at 16:40

Not really a Scorpions fan, beyond "Rock You" when I was a kid in the early 80s. Saw they had an album of that name, but didn't see any songs titled "Taken By Force". If it is, the Scorps have more balls than I thought and I might need to check them out.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
23.04.2015 - 17:10
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by BitterCOld on 23.04.2015 at 17:06

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 23.04.2015 at 16:40

Not really a Scorpions fan, beyond "Rock You" when I was a kid in the early 80s. Saw they had an album of that name, but didn't see any songs titled "Taken By Force". If it is, the Scorps have more balls than I thought and I might need to check them out.

Yeah, my mistake, Scorps indeed don't have a song by that name, but Agent Steel does, maybe it's a cover of that song?
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

23.04.2015 - 19:25
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Try compare original hit that, also lyrics, that's how I do
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
23.04.2015 - 20:17
Rating: 7
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 23.04.2015 at 17:10

Yeah, my mistake, Scorps indeed don't have a song by that name, but Agent Steel does, maybe it's a cover of that song?

If it is a cover, it a truly unique interpretation. so, no. had to compare it through, though as the chorus sounds kinda Agent Steel-y, even if the singer can't hit the same high notes.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
23.04.2015 - 20:41
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Your review throws out more score than you finalized it.

It seems like it should've been close 8 to 8.5 but seeing 7.6 welcomes more castigation. Anyway, i'll check out this soon.
23.04.2015 - 21:10
Joppe
Steelemeister
Massive boobs on album cover in most cases seems to try compensate shortcomings of quality of other attributes on the album. Just an observation no clue if that's the case here
----
My vision is augmented
23.04.2015 - 23:43
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
If its cover PM me I need then do something

and its nice that Marcel don't know something about music great
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
24.04.2015 - 01:39
Guib
Thrash Talker
Hmm... Well, I was waiting for this, seems like Bitter got a taste of it.
I'll be checkin' this out for certain.
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here

Hits total: 4120 | This month: 8