08. Holy Libations
09. Cauda Pavonis
10. Music From The Other
11. One Hundred Years [The Cure cover] [bonus]
12. Laudanum Dreams [bonus]

Disc II [7inch] [Limited Boxset bonus]
01. The Motherhood Of God [demo]
02. Winds [demo]

The journey these Swedes have made is without a doubt one of the more interesting ones in the modern death metal scene. While I consider The Horror to be a solid display of old school death metal, it got old and tossed aside. Heard it. Liked it. Gone. It's basically how I view the entire genre which I love, mind you, but the albums grow old immediately as I wait for the next in line. Like that bag of chips that disappears tragically too soon. Two years ago, Tribulation released the fantastic surprise that was The Formulas Of Death, an album I could really go back and rediscover again and again? Enter now The Children Of The Night, another bag of chips that seems to have no bottom.

If you have come to love the sound that Tribulation has developed, it's safe to say that this will be a rewarding listening for most of you. Changes and fine tunings are still in place though, which is a healthy sign of an ambitious band. More passages flirt with goth than on the previous albums, while the progressive touches are kept in place just like before. It's kind of ironic that while the goth touches are increasing, the melodies seem more uplifting! It's hard to explain but while listening to the solos and leads, I couldn't help but smile. They are very bright and triumphant. The darkness is still there though but in a more elegant, subtle way which reflects well on the classy artwork.

The meticulous songwriting and mixing of multiple genres makes this album a locomotive that rolls with our without you. The landscapes change smoothly but quickly, you stop thinking about the end of the ride, and thus the album is over after an hour that felt all too short, just like its predecessor. The ending could have been a bit more exciting in comparison with the rest of the album, which results in a slight lukewarm feeling. On the other hand, it serves as a motivation to buy the ticket and take another ride!

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 9
Production: 8

Written on 30.04.2015 by A lazy reviewer but he is so cute you'd forgive him for it.

Comments

Comments: 13   Visited by: 253 users
30.04.2015 - 03:16
Rating: 7
flightoficarus
Stamp Tramp
Going with your metaphor, this is like the best bag of cool ranch Doritos I have had...but I just don't like cool ranch Doritos.
----
Daily underground metal recommendations at Metal Trenches.
Watch metal content on the Metal Trenches YouTube Channel.
30.04.2015 - 04:40
Rating: 9
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
I'd personally rate it a tad higher, however I agree with everything stated. I particularly found the following statement in your review to be incredibly observant and entirely valid: "The meticulous songwriting and mixing of multiple genres makes this album a locomotive that rolls with our without you"
30.04.2015 - 09:36
Daniell
_爱情_
Written by Alex F on 30.04.2015 at 04:40

I'd personally rate it a tad higher, however I agree with everything stated. I particularly found the following statement in your review to be incredibly observant and entirely valid: "The meticulous songwriting and mixing of multiple genres makes this album a locomotive that rolls with our without you"

While it IS nicely worded and well written, this statement can be true about any album by any band. Every album rolls with or without the listener..
30.04.2015 - 11:07
LasseMomme

Hello Album Of The Year, nice to see you
30.04.2015 - 12:08
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
One of bands what will be famous because of MS; but good what I have heard from this album, its kick ass
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
30.04.2015 - 12:14
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Alex F on 30.04.2015 at 04:40

Written by Daniell on 30.04.2015 at 09:36
While it IS nicely worded and well written, this statement can be true about any album by any band. Every album rolls with or without the listener..

Thanks for noticing Daniell, looking back I could have added one extra sentence or explain the idea further to make the connection clearer so I'll keep that in mind.
What I meant was how easy it is to not notice all the details and influences flowing in this album. Sometimes you are sitting next to a window and you reach a point where you are staring outside but not really looking, so all becomes a blur. Just like a ride, you might miss something on the way the first times you are listening to this album. "The landscapes change smoothly but quickly".
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
30.04.2015 - 14:26
Rating: 8
mz

Written by Bad English on 30.04.2015 at 12:08

One of bands what will be famous because of MS; but good what I have heard from this album, its kick ass

what do you mean? They are definitely very well received out of MS.
You are exaggerating the importance of MS a little
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
30.04.2015 - 14:40
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by mz on 30.04.2015 at 14:26

well band is good, but wont be as bIG as it is now, if there wont be I net, as everyday user I see this band, thanks to promotion they get
even some crust punk and d beat what ever band, grind core I see because of ms, even I hate genres and bands but I see those bands (mainly because db edits)
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
30.04.2015 - 15:52
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by mz on 30.04.2015 at 14:26

They are even more popular outside of MS than here. And MS is is of no significance whatsoever when it comes to popularity of bands. So, yeah K7 is definitely once again exaggerating the importance of MS
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

30.04.2015 - 15:54
musicalkaratekid

Enjoyable album for me, I didn't find any song underwhelming at all. Though my personal favourites are "In the Dreams of the Dead" and "Cauda Pavonis", the latter of which being one of the best Gothic instrumental songs I've heard recently.
30.04.2015 - 16:31
mz

Written by Bad English on 30.04.2015 at 14:40

well band is good, but wont be as bIG as it is now, if there wont be I net, as everyday user I see this band, thanks to promotion they get
even some crust punk and d beat what ever band, grind core I see because of ms, even I hate genres and bands but I see those bands (mainly because db edits)

Pretty much every single band on the earth has got some benefits in terms of popularity from the net. You could have the exact same "argument" about all the other bands on MS.
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
10.02.2018 - 02:56
Moony79

What about that new album with lady death just released? I miss that..
27.12.2018 - 01:25
BlankFile

Amazing álbum from start to finish.

Hits total: 5081 | This month: 6