Metal Storm logo
Metallica - the 90s albums

Poll

Which is your favourite 90s Metallica album?

Metallica (the black album) - 1991
Garage Inc - 1998
S & M - 1999
Load - 1996
Reload - 1997

Total votes: 146
26.02.2007 - 10:36
marillionfan
Account deleted
I'm just curious to know which 90s metallica is dearest to you. in my opinion, Load is the last great album that Metallica did. Although the speed & thrash days are gone, Load is still a really good rock album, with good musicianship and good lyrics. After this, "their ship began to sink". Reload is half good, half uninspired. Garage Inc. is another covers album which many Metallica fans did not need. S & M is a good live album. IMO, the album is not spectacular but just musically correct.

Feel free to contradict me, I was subjective after all I'm looking forward to your opinions.
26.02.2007 - 13:29
matthioso

I voted for the black album. It's the heaviest album they made in the 90s. To me Load also is a great album, Reload is not that good, but still good. Garage inc. is something different, it's nice to hear them play other great songs. and then S&M, it's not so special, james' voice on it is awesome, but the combination of heavy guitars and an orchestra only worked with 'nothing else matters' and the songs that were created specially for this album.
----
www.seedofrock.be
26.02.2007 - 23:35
Baz Anderson

it was exactly this period that put me off Metallica.. I only really listen to the first four albums - and that is on the rare occasion nowadays..

the best out of these? haha - I ended up voting for 'Reload' because I remember liking the track 'Fuel'..
'S & M' was interesting but I would leave the orchestra for bands that it would actually suit..
I really didnt put much attention into these albums even though I bought them at extortionate rates. oh well. I cant get my money back now..
26.02.2007 - 23:46
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
My favorite is The Black Album...I can't stand the other ones...I tried to get into Load and Reload but just couldn't...
27.02.2007 - 04:02
Toolshed

I voted Reload - reason is simple.

It is first album I ever bought

And yes,newer albums are still great,except crap knows as St.Anger.
27.02.2007 - 05:01
Oracle
Orcinus
ok Metallica's S/T album is the best 90s album because yeah its still heavy metal and i hate the other albums because they are shit. i especially hate the fact that they changed to Nu Metal with their St. Anger album, it just ruined it.
27.02.2007 - 06:47
Bitch Boy

My top favorite album ever: "S&M". I love Metallica and I love symphonic metal. It's really a masterpiece.
27.02.2007 - 10:09
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
No doubt ''Metallica'' because its only who sohdns like old Metallica in 90ties, and IMO there shood not be huge explanation why.

Other album hat I like ''Garage INX'' but CD 1
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
27.02.2007 - 10:30
Eternal Flames

For me, Metallica's 90's albums got progressively worse as the years went by. So therefore, Metallica/The Black Album was definitely my favourite of their 90's work. Load would be second, and after that it just got worse and worse in my opinion. Their self-titled album however, despite not being thrash metal, was a good heavy metal record nevertheless. It had some rather decent songs on there, nothing amazing, but not too bad compared to the albums they had released after it.
27.02.2007 - 11:29
AnGina--
Dark Phoenix
Well if the question would be what is ''the best Metallica album for you'' from these, I'd definately go with the Black Album. It has to be the best hard rock album I have ever heard, I simply love it from first track to thr last. But since the question was about ''your favourite'' I had to go with S&M. The only thing this album actually lacks IMO are some tracks I would pick instead of some others (more songs from early albums), but otherwise every time I'm listening to S&M I just feel exstatic! Not to mention the DVD is obligatory!!! When I hear the Metallica classixs with symphonic orchestra such as One, Master of Puppets and For Whom The Bell Tolls I just get shivers down my spine, because the symphonic parts just fill the classix metallica tunes with perfection and the whole show is driven to perfection. Each and every songs sounds hard as it would suppose to, but orchestra just adds the majestic note to it. For me, a perfect album and from this point of view I personally like it more than The Black Album.
----
You think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it. Molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was a man. But it was nothing to me but blinding.
04.03.2007 - 02:17
BloodTears
ANA-thema
yes black album its the best out of those. from there on i dont find a consistent metallica album, only 3 good songs on Load and Reload.

S&M is enjoyable but most songs dont work with an orchestra in my opinion.

I still love their early releases
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
04.03.2007 - 03:23
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
S & M. Because it's my fav. live album ever.
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
04.03.2007 - 15:54
Rimfrost

Black Album is the only one of these that I like.
10.03.2007 - 02:59
ThrashMetal_Rulz
Account deleted
Black Album because it's the only one out of those that is actualy somewhat heavy. Load sucks, Reload sucks even more then Load (didn't know it was possible till i heard it ) and the albums after those two are even worse.
10.03.2007 - 15:16
Spooks
Account deleted
THe Black Album ... OK it's buisness..but there are some terrific songs...James's voice was still there, and there was still a little bit of the old day's sound
10.03.2007 - 19:02
Valentin B
Iconoclast
definetely the black album(which is obvious as fuck commercial, but still good nonetheless), but reload could have been so much better if he had that rough angry voice he pleased the 80s metal hordes with, like on the memory remains(damn that song kicks ass but the vocals, both the annoying self-lamenting melody ruin it)
12.03.2007 - 02:52
Sonic MrSumo

Let's face it, Bob Rock ruined Metallica. Hey, he was great for Motley Crue...but Motley Crue and Metallica are pretty different beasts. I think a bit out of his league.
----
All the bridges in the world won't save you, if there's no other side to cross to.
- Rock poetry from Silverchair.
13.03.2007 - 04:16
FTW
Account deleted
As for studio albums I'd have to say Load, musicially it is their 3rd best album next to MOP and AJFA. But my vote went to S&M mainly because its the first album that I heard of Metallica and the album that intrduced me to Metal. Such an epic live performance.
31.03.2007 - 19:26
okt31
Account deleted
They're all OK.
Black Album gets my vote, 'cause it is what real heavy metal is about. Emotional and intense ballads (I agree, that they are overplayed, but they are great indeed) and some furious stuff that made them great before..
Load/ReLoad should've been a pair like Use Your Illusion I-II were. They are OK hard rock. Far from the best in business, but at leat they were music.
Garage Inc has a lot of great covers from excellent bands: Holocaust, Mercyful Fate and Diamond Head come to mind quickly, as well as Black Sabbath and others. Basically it's awesome as well.
S & M is an attempt succeded mostly, because it's highly enjoyable.. So 90s Metallica wasn't bad.
St. Anger is one of ythe 5 worst albums released by once good musical acts (I'm not counting now every crappy idiot who made an album because he had 2 verses which he could do rapping to)..
Soi that's iot.. The Black Album still owns..
31.03.2007 - 21:45
Insineratehymn
Account deleted
To me, the only good Metallica album of the 90s was the Black Album. All of the other albums from that period were pure crap.
01.04.2007 - 01:52
Thrash666

Written by Guest on 31.03.2007 at 21:45

To me, the only good Metallica album of the 90s was the Black Album. All of the other albums from that period were pure crap.

i agree. its sad 2 say becuase Metallica is my favorite band but the 90s stuff is nothing compared to the old school thrash Metallica. but the black album is good and definatley the best of the 90s
----
LONG LIVE THASH!!!!!!!!!
R.I.P. "Dimebag" Darrell Abott
Drink a "blacktooth" for Dimebag
01.04.2007 - 13:41
|Angela|
Account deleted
Um they just get worse as they move along. I voted for the black album but even that was like the start of the fall I think. At least its better than the rest over there. S & M was an interesting experiment but nothing special compared to the first 4 amazing albums.
13.10.2007 - 03:06
BurbotsRevenge
Foetal Butchery
i voted black album - way bettter than the rest of the stuff they pt out in the 90's, followed then by S+M
----
Dark death metal from Sydney: https://www.facebook.com/GolgothanRemains
13.10.2007 - 12:01
Woutjinho
Account deleted
black album for sure. best of the crappy shit albums they did in the 90's
10.12.2007 - 21:50
RockeRoy

I like their earlyer stuff better, but i like theri late stuff also! i votet the black album because it has ment the moast to me of the 90 metallica albums!
----
You found god? If nobody claims him in thirty days, he's yours

Walk with me in hell
11.12.2007 - 00:03
Nilla
Account deleted
The black album. It was the first Metallica album I heard and its still a good album, even if it is slower and more "radio friendly" then their previous releases. I sort of like Load too, but by then they sounded like another band. Reload is the leftovers from Load and "Fuel" is the only really good song on it. S&M is good but its really more a live album with classical music and Garage Inc is just covers so I wouldn't reaaly count them into this.
11.12.2007 - 00:35
Warman
Erotic Stains
S&M surely is the best and Load and ReLoad helped me get into Metal... but I fucking have to vote for Metallica! That one really made me a Metalhead and when you're 11 years old it's impossible to resist it. Thank you Black Album, you've made what I am.
----
11.12.2007 - 01:16
DrunkenFuck
Thrasher!
I voted Black album. It's clearly the best of them all. Enter Sandman alone blows the others away. S/M and Garage Inc are different though, because they're not actually new studio albums. They are both good though.
----
THRASH!!!
11.12.2007 - 06:28
panchowl

The black album for me... because (in my personal opinion) this album was their last respectable cd, a very good work with some great songs...
But if I must speak of the other albums of to '90 to the present, I can only say that all is shit for me, I consider Metallica as a dead band...
11.12.2007 - 22:41
Oskmrgo83
Oskmrgo83
I'm not going to give any explanations. I like every Metallica album. I'm a true Metallica fan. So, everything is good for me.
----
Now it's time to... rock!!!!!