03. Heaven In My Heart
04. The Conclusion
    1 - Randy's Jam
    2 - Long Night's Journey
    3 - Re-Introduction
    4 - Come Out Of Her
    5 - Clothed With The Sun
    6 - In Closing...

"Sola Scriptura" is the last release of Mr Neal Morse. Since that he left Spock's Beard, the Prog Rock maestro released some good solo albums but actually I really think that this one will become his best without any problems. I like Progressive Rock and Metal and when I see the line up of the album (Portnoy, Gilbert, George and Morse), when I see the quality of the compositions I can only say that we're in front of an amazing release. If you like cool Progressive Music and if you're not afraid of religious topics, you'll have to check this release as soon as possible.

"Sola Scriptura" means "Only By Scripture" in Latin and as you can already understand, we're in front of a good old "Christian Rock" release. If we forget the lyrics two minutes, we're also in front of a great Progressive album. With ballads, like fast and technical tracks full of amazing guitars and keyboards soli and of course amazing rhythms played by Portnoy himself, "Sola Scriptura" is a pleasant release full of great melodies and good ideas. The fours long songs are never linear. As an example, you'll be able to find a great break in "The Conflict" which is a nice acoustic (and super technical) cover of the Latin hit "Chan Chan" (watch Buena Vista Social Club if you don't understand what I mean). It's great really because you can pass from something which is a pure Progressive Rock/Metal to something a lot more original and all the time and during all the length of the album it's well done, with a perfect performance of the musicians. "Sola Scriptura" is just a classy album of Progressive music.

My only problem with this album comes from the lyrics. I have nothing against religions but I'm not a believer and really it was hard for me to listen to, during more than an hour, stuff about God and Martin Luther. Of course, we all know that Neal Morse is now a bit like a musical preacher or something like that, so after all nobody force you to listen to his stuff but really you have to know that it can be boring at the end if you're not into this kind of topics. Evidently on the other hand, it's so good musically speaking that you'll still have to check this album even if you cannot stand religious lyrics or really you'll miss something.

If you're not disturbed by the controversial religious concept of this release or if you just want to listen to good music, "Sola Scriptura" is a must. This album is a really beautiful piece of music and all the ones who like Neal Morse or regret his departure of Spock's Beard will clearly have to have a look on this new album, his best out to date.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 10
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 8
Production: 9

Written by Jeff | 26.02.2007

Comments

Comments: 7   Visited by: 79 users
26.02.2007 - 19:04
Spyroid
Rosetta Stoned
Mike Portnoy is on 90 % of all progressive side projects.
28.02.2007 - 19:24
Rating: 9
nb

I will check it out definitely. Las release by Neal Morse ? , was great.
05.03.2007 - 16:08
Ktar
Account deleted
This is an exception recording. As to the religious content, it is based on an historical event. The struggle of one man against a system that had become corrupt. Much of the imagery paints a picture of inner struggles and the passions of one man to make a change. This gets a 10 all the way across the board in my book.
21.04.2007 - 00:00
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Fantastic album. I have to agree with Ktar, this album is about a historical event, so anyone who wants to complain should also stop listening to Iron Maiden.

The interesting thing about Neal and his faith is even tho it is in his music, none of his albums are "praise and worship" albums.
Testimony - just that, his own testimony.
One - the relationship between Man and God (a topic covered by many metal artists)
? - the history of the Jewish Temple and how it relates to today

But anyway, this album, like all of his past work, is outstanding. The Morse-Portnoy team has been strong ever since their TransAtlantic days.
----
(space for rent)
24.07.2008 - 14:46
Rating: 10
Tadashi23

I don't know why everybody has to mention that "in spite of the lyrics" on a Neal Morse album. Of course, the music is great, so everybody recomends. But let's face it, 90% of the bands write about bullshit and nobody says a damn. At least Morse's lyrics mean something, it's not like aliens or stories about nothing.

Great album. Great musicians 10/10.
03.04.2009 - 20:44
Rating: 7
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
I only liked it partially. The three long songs had some great riffs and solos, but then they mingled with some poppish sounding music. Hence a 7.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
25.09.2011 - 01:50
Rating: 8
Regolith

I don't know why everybody has to mention that "in spite of the lyrics" on a Neal Morse album. Of course, the music is great, so everybody recomends. But let's face it, 90% of the bands write about bullshit and nobody says a damn. At least Morse's lyrics mean something, it's not like aliens or stories about nothing.

Good call, sir....good call.

Hits total: 10405 | This month: 16