Metal Storm logo
The Most Influential Modern Metal Bands

Original post

Posted by mz, 13.05.2015 - 02:47
Hopefully there is not a similar topic to this in forums.
So, following a discussion on shout box, I thought it is a good idea to have a more in depth debate regarding the most influential modern metal bands. I think that Ved Buens Ende, Opeth, Deathspell Omega, Portal, Meshuggah and Alcest are some of the most influential modern bands, but I admit that my musical taste is very limited in scope and I am missing a lots of bands. So, what band have had a great impact on metal music in modern times?
Please note that I am aiming not for a literal meaning of modern, i.e being chronologically new. For me, Ved Buens Ende and Opeth are modern because their musical vision is ( or was in the case of Opeth) modern, despite the fact that their materials are old.
13.05.2015 - 20:26
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Elite
Significant twist huh? How about Deathspell Omega?
Acid King as well (=
----
loves 小巫
13.05.2015 - 20:48
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Entombed adhers to your two points. Btw in1995 dm was about dead not well established at all any more
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

14.05.2015 - 01:43
Ganondox
Written by deadone on 13.05.2015 at 09:00

Written by Ganondox on 13.05.2015 at 08:47

The reason why popularity is relevant is because I had the specifier of mainstream, whatever the cutoff for that is.

By metal standards, KSE, Trivium, LoG, Shadows Fall were quite mainstream back in those days.

Quote:

And I'm pretty sure Slipknot is considered a central NWOAHM bands.

They certainly weren't at the time. They were always regarded as Nu-metal. The term NWOAHM fell into disuse after a couple of years. Those bands got relabelled metalcore or groove metal or whatever.

Well Slipknot is considered NWOAMH nowadays as they are groove metal. Anyway it's all whatever because I found where the Disturbed claim from, it's not actually legit.
15.05.2015 - 00:29
Ganondox
Written by deadone on 14.05.2015 at 02:30

Written by Ganondox on 14.05.2015 at 01:43

Well Slipknot is considered NWOAMH nowadays as they are groove metal.

Nothing is considered NWOAHM nowadays. The term never gained any level of acceptance within the metal community.

It joins post-thrash as another metal term consigned to the dustbin of history.

That is not true. First, I still see people use it on occasion, second, it's gained enough acceptance to merit a Wikipedia article. It's a scene, not a genre.

Anyway, back on topic.
15.05.2015 - 02:10
Guib
Thrash Talker
Gotta agree on deadone, I've never heard of NWOAHM until you mentioned it lol and if I ever did I probably didn't notice thinking it was NWOBHM instead.
I never had anyone mention this to me in a discussion, have it online or on events and concerts... so yeah. I mean if it's ''accepted'' and well ''established''
I've seriously missed a whole chunk in my metal life without ever noticing.

Oh and Slipknot is Nu-Metal. Even though not all their albums are, it's the genre where it fits most.
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
15.05.2015 - 03:05
Ganondox
Whatever! Back on topic!
15.05.2015 - 22:12
ADIresiduos
Written by Bad English on 13.05.2015 at 14:55

And exatly what did you mean by modern? bee gees can be modern, Iron maiden, Black Sabbath, even mayhem can be modern band, so what exactly you mean

what period.. 80's, now? last 2 years?

Good question: we need a more specific definition of modern... could it be that you meant innovative? ahead of their time?
If we take modern literally we would think you are referring to bands from this century.
16.05.2015 - 03:06
Joe Zombie
I like to think Nachtmystium have had an influence on some more recent psychedelic BM bands.

Ghost has driven more people to look for similar "occult" sort of rock/doom bands.

Deathcore still seems to be a big thing in the States, and djent.
16.05.2015 - 03:11
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Joe Zombie on 16.05.2015 at 03:06

I like to think Nachtmystium have had an influence on some more recent psychedelic BM bands.

Ghost has driven more people to look for similar "occult" sort of rock/doom bands.

Deathcore still seems to be a big thing in the States, and djent.

Ghost jumped on the occult bandwagon

Psychedelic bm was there way before Nachtmystium decided to do it.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

16.05.2015 - 03:19
mz
Written by ADIresiduos on 15.05.2015 at 22:12

Written by Bad English on 13.05.2015 at 14:55

And exatly what did you mean by modern? bee gees can be modern, Iron maiden, Black Sabbath, even mayhem can be modern band, so what exactly you mean

what period.. 80's, now? last 2 years?

Good question: we need a more specific definition of modern... could it be that you meant innovative? ahead of their time?
If we take modern literally we would think you are referring to bands from this century.

I've already described my definition of "modern band" , which seems to be a little too exclusive according to some people. feel free to participate in the discussion with your personal definiton.
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
16.05.2015 - 04:50
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by Guib on 15.05.2015 at 02:10

Gotta agree on deadone, I've never heard of NWOAHM until you mentioned it lol and if I ever did I probably didn't notice thinking it was NWOBHM instead.
I never had anyone mention this to me in a discussion, have it online or on events and concerts... so yeah. I mean if it's ''accepted'' and well ''established''
I've seriously missed a whole chunk in my metal life without ever noticing.

Oh and Slipknot is Nu-Metal. Even though not all their albums are, it's the genre where it fits most.

The only times I've heard it was on Sam Dunn's documentary and in a book on the top 100 metal guitarists.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
16.05.2015 - 23:06
musclassia
Staff
Written by ADIresiduos on 15.05.2015 at 22:12

Anyone saying modern metal and mentioning black sabbath and iron maiden is taking the piss, considering those bands either pioneered the genre (BS) or further developed and popularized it (IM). Modern for me would count as something that comes along after all the major genre and subgenre (death, black, prog, doom, industrial and so on) guidelines were laid down, so I suppose mid-late 90s following the Gothernburg trio and MDM? In that case, I suppose the entire melodic metalcore/groove/thrash early 00s scene alongisdue nu metal had major influence on the scene, and outside that the biggest names to pop up are probably the likes of Gojira and (depending on definitions of modern) Tool, plus several more obviously
18.05.2015 - 03:08
Doge of Venice
Written by deadone on 15.05.2015 at 02:01

Written by Ganondox on 15.05.2015 at 00:29

That is not true. First, I still see people use it on occasion, second, it's gained enough acceptance to merit a Wikipedia article. It's a scene, not a genre.

"Used on occassion" Whoopee do. I still use post thrash sometimes.

As for Wikipedia, that's hardly noteworthy. And even that article suggests it's not a concrete definition.

It was not a scene and even if it was, it wasn't really a well defined one.

NWOAHM is about as well defined as NWOABHM. The definitions rely purely on geography and timeline, and that's about it.
18.05.2015 - 14:36
Doge of Venice
What does acceptance have to do with whether or not a movement is defined well? When did the NWOBHM come into acceptance as a definitive movement? And do those dates represent the initial explosion or the scene or do they signify the entire lifespan of the movement?

Here is an article I find quite interesting on the topic.

I could easily define the NWOAHM as 2001-05, if you want to define when it initially came to prominence. But as for its longevity, it died with the naughties.
19.05.2015 - 00:44
F.N.S.C.A.C
Just to throw another band in the mix that I don't think has been mentioned (and fits within OPs timescale)

Sunn O)))

I know the music has been around a bit longer than they have, but really (in my mind at least), they have brought Drone/Doom genre to a huge audience
19.05.2015 - 02:18
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
^ Totally agree. And how didn't I think of them before?
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
19.05.2015 - 03:17
no one
Account deleted
Silencer, sterbend, bethlehem for there influence on crazy vocals in dsbm, and xasthur just for that sort of unique ambient bedroom bm
19.05.2015 - 05:00
Ganondox
Written by Karlabos on 19.05.2015 at 02:18

^ Totally agree. And how didn't I think of them before?

Thirding this.
19.05.2015 - 21:51
mz
^I'm waiting for Marcel's English language lesson.
----
19.05.2015 - 21:53
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by mz on 19.05.2015 at 21:51

Actually I am fourthing that comment about Sunn O)))
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

19.05.2015 - 21:59
mz
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 19.05.2015 at 21:53

Written by mz on 19.05.2015 at 21:51

Actually I am fourthing that comment about Sunn O)))

Should have known that you and K7 are the same guy
----