Metal Storm logo
Watain

Original post

Posted by Infurnace, 26.02.2007 - 23:12
Watain, Swedish Black Metal. Supreme Swedish Black Metal, I must say. They kinda remind me of Dissection. Perhaps Watain is the modern Dissection? So what do you guys think of Watain? I'd like to hear your opinion.
06.07.2011 - 09:57
The Turbanator

Just hearing their Sworn To The Dark album. Really good in my opinion. Love at first hear. Going to get their older albums and give them a spin.

Also someone mentioned Ondskapt as well. I love that band as well.
----
In the name of forests; In the name of stars; In the name of all the seas; In the name of storms... Proud sons of ancient nation; Proud sons of sacred song in the wind; Proud sons behind a mirror of ice who told... Fathers of the icy age!!
10.07.2011 - 09:46
Plague

Sworn to the Dark album ok. 2 songs on that album i like are: Sworn to the Dark and Satan's Hunger
----
Darkness is part of your nature...embrace it and emancipate your evil wickedness!
Infernal soldiers demonized,
Fucked up angels sodomized,
Face of the earth dechristianized
The universe...SATANIZED!
17.07.2011 - 17:00
Kok-Tengri

Watain is a good group, I love.
03.11.2011 - 14:43
Warman
Erotic Stains
Can't wait for tomorrows anniversary show! The first time I saw them, four years ago, they killed on stage. Threw a skinned goat head on me.
On their facebook page the band wrote for tomorrow: "Watain will perform a set of 1 hour and 30 minutes. The setlist will include songs that have never been performed onstage before, as well as some additional surprises."
I hope one surprise is a bad ass Dissection cover, like "Night's Blood" or something like that.
----
03.11.2011 - 20:39
Narterath

Written by Warman on 03.11.2011 at 14:43

Can't wait for tomorrows anniversary show! The first time I saw them, four years ago, they killed on stage. Threw a skinned goat head on me.
On their facebook page the band wrote for tomorrow: "Watain will perform a set of 1 hour and 30 minutes. The setlist will include songs that have never been performed onstage before, as well as some additional surprises."
I hope one surprise is a bad ass Dissection cover, like "Night's Blood" or something like that.

Man, you're watching them with Malign?! Lucky. I would give my left arm to see Malign live. As for Watain, seen them live twice so far, they never disappoint. Even though they haven't played 'I Am The Earth' in neither of their two shows.
04.11.2011 - 11:08
Warman
Erotic Stains
Written by Narterath on 03.11.2011 at 20:39

Man, you're watching them with Malign?! Lucky. I would give my left arm to see Malign live. As for Watain, seen them live twice so far, they never disappoint. Even though they haven't played 'I Am The Earth' in neither of their two shows.

Yeah, will be fun to see Malign.
They played "I am the Earth" first time I saw them.
----
05.11.2011 - 10:42
Warman
Erotic Stains
Yesterday was ridiculous. That's like all I can say. I'm still stunned this morning. What a f-ing show! First band Malign was insane, some of the guitar riffs and drums just crushed the whole place. Devil's Blood was interesting, almost felt... religious on stage.
I knew and I remembered Watain to be a great live band, but this was something else. First of all, I don't think I've ever seen that much fire. The crowd went nuts, I was soaking with sweat already during the second song. Watain really is a band you have to experience live for yourself, I really can't put words on the atmosphere. I woke up this morning with a big smile on my face, if I could, I'd take the train to Gothenburg tomorrow so I could experience it all again. Probably in the top 5 of concerts I've attended. Thank you Watain!

Setlist:
Death's Cold Dark
Malfeitor
Storm of the Antichrist
Devil's Blood
Four Thrones
Lawless Darkness
Total Funeral
Reaping Death
Stellarvore
On Horns Impaled
A Fine Day to Die
Waters of Ain
----
05.11.2011 - 21:33
Vombatus
Potorro
Ending up a show with bathroy cover + Waters of Ain must be the closest thing to musical orgasm.... One of the most entertaining black metal acts for sure.
06.11.2011 - 21:05
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
I thought the same... that ending must be fucking gigantic.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
11.11.2011 - 00:26
Savopipo

Watain was really good when they started out but nowadays it's more flash than black I must say. Are you aware they even received a grammy (which is a swedish music award) and went up there on the stage and said thank you for it! I've got all their records but I truly believe that there are much better (and more honest)acts around.

Edit: Ondskapt as was mentioned earlier in this thread is a good example of a band that's much more genuine that Watain.
----
Check Tystnad out at http://tystnad.bandcamp.com
11.11.2011 - 00:33
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Good on them for winning something. Flash or not, they play a fast-paced aggressive form of black metal and if that makes them popular I say keep flashing. When the public picks up on stuff like that they'll start looking for similar stuff, probably come across sites like Metal Storm, and ask for recommendations from us. And then BOOM. Brothers in arms.

I feel happier knowing bands like Watain have a chance of winning mainstream music awards as opposed to just Korn, Slipknot, and Metallica all the time.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
12.11.2011 - 01:05
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Troy Killjoy on 11.11.2011 at 00:33

I feel happier knowing bands like Watain have a chance of winning mainstream music awards as opposed to just Korn, Slipknot, and Metallica all the time.

I agree, some "uber-elite" dudes might think that it's a bad thing and they will get all "mainstream" but that's a load of bullshit if you ask me. As you said, this could help many people to get into the genre and maybe discover this website... I see no downsides here.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
12.11.2011 - 01:23
Slayer666

Written by Warman on 05.11.2011 at 10:42

Setlist:
Death's Cold Dark
Malfeitor
Storm of the Antichrist
Devil's Blood
Four Thrones
Lawless Darkness
Total Funeral
Reaping Death
Stellarvore
On Horns Impaled
A Fine Day to Die
Waters of Ain

Good lord, that looks delicious...
12.11.2011 - 02:44
Savopipo

Casus Luciferi was a great album but everything after that is more or less sheit. I wish them all the best but I never thought black metal to be a commercially exploitable way of life or death.
----
13.11.2011 - 16:06
Warman
Erotic Stains
Can't wait for the DVD!
----
15.11.2011 - 06:42
Savopipo

Good on them for winning something. Flash or not, they play a fast-paced aggressive form of black metal and if that makes them popular I say keep flashing. When the public picks up on stuff like that they'll start looking for similar stuff, probably come across sites like Metal Storm, and ask for recommendations from us. And then BOOM. Brothers in arms.

My problem is not with them winning the award, it's with them sitting there, drinking champagne with the "beautiful people" and then going up on stage and saying thank you and almost crying. It's so against everything they have said and done over the years, again as soon as fame and fortune comes within grasps range then all ideals are forgotten.

For instance another musical artist/writer that I admire a lot won the prize but he only send the buggers and address to post it to he he.
----
19.11.2011 - 00:32
Lit.
Account deleted
Written by Savopipo on 15.11.2011 at 06:42

My problem is not with them winning the award, it's with them sitting there, drinking champagne with the "beautiful people" and then going up on stage and saying thank you and almost crying. It's so against everything they have said and done over the years, again as soon as fame and fortune comes within grasps range then all ideals are forgotten.

For instance another musical artist/writer that I admire a lot won the prize but he only send the buggers and address to post it to he he.

Yes, Satan-forbid they break their veil of kvlt-ness and turn into one of the "beautiful people" who are always deterred by the size of their steeple.
21.11.2011 - 06:50
Savopipo

Written by Guest on 19.11.2011 at 00:32

Written by Savopipo on 15.11.2011 at 06:42

Yes, Satan-forbid they break their veil of kvlt-ness and turn into one of the "beautiful people" who are always deterred by the size of their steeple.

I guess it's more or less the sadness of discovering that yet another band that you thought was honest and believed in what they were doing proved to be nothing out of the ordinary.
----
24.01.2014 - 13:17
Warman
Erotic Stains
Whoa! Last post from 2011? Anyway, I saw Watain live for the third time last night. It was a fun experience, considering the venue. First time I saw them was 2007, opening up for Celtic Frost and Kreator. That show was held at a place called Klubben, which is my favourite venue since it's really small and you're close to the band playing. Above Klubben, in the same building, there's a bigger venue called Arenan. This time Watain played at Arenan with a pretty big crowd. Stuff has happened since '07.

Oh, and I don't know if that's okay, but I've never been so comfortable during a show as I was last evening. I don't know if there was a lot of people there who saw Watain for the first time and they were like scared to stand in the front or whatever. But me and my friend came to the venue, saw In Solitude open with a great show, went to take a piss after that, came back to the stage area and like walked through the whole crowd to the front. Didn't even have to push people around. We then stood in the front the whole show, without people pushing you around or standing to close to you. I could actually breathe and if it wasn't for me standing in front of the fire cannons or whatever it's called in english, I wouldn't even be sweaty. There wasn't a shortage of fans in the front, but it sure as hell wasn't to "crowdy".
----
25.01.2014 - 02:53
DyingWorld

For the amount of shit it's gotten, I do believe that "The Wild Hunt" is a very worthy album. I saw Watain for the first time last year, finally, with In Solitude and Tribulation. Needless to say, it was one hell of a bill. Gottfrid from In Solitude played guitar for Watain that night too.