Metal Storm logo
Symphony X - New Album In July, Details Revealed

After four years, Symphony X finally reveal all about their new album. Today is the day! The New Jersey progressive metal masters are set to release their brand new, ninth studio album called Underworld on July 24th via Nuclear Blast Records. This is not a concept album but it is inspired by the Italian poet Dante Alighieri and will feature 11 new songs. Feast your eyes on the cover and more important details right here.

Tracklist:
01. Overture
02. Nevermore
03. Underworld
04. Without You
05. Kiss Of Fire
06. Charon
07. Hell And Back
08. In My Darkest Hour
09. Run With The Devil
10. Swansong
11. Legend

"This new one is about the song, really crafting each one on its own, to be as strong as it could be" says guitarist Michael Romeo, chief writer in the band, and proprietor of The Dungeon, the tricked-out studio in which the album was crafted, newly equipped with the latest in technology.

"Musically, Underworld has things reminiscent of the bands previous albums but this one definitely has its own individuality," stated Michael. "Every element added was in service of the song, so the album flows and becomes a total listening experience from start to finish. Every song is to-the-point and fine-tuned, with us paying a lot of attention to the hooks, voices, riffs, and keeping the interest and the energy high for the entire record. It is heavy and aggressive as fuck when it needs to be, yet soaring and emotional at other times. I think the balance is just right. It had to have all the elements of what we normally would do, just tweaked up a notch and really fine-tuned. You know, industry people have talked about how we'll never see a complete album again, and that idea. I wanted to defend the reputation of the album, and really try to make Underworld worth listening to as a whole record. It's what I love about great individual songs, but still an album experience. I don't want to sound like I'm preaching, but it was a point we wanted to make. It was about the progression of the whole record. It speeds up here and then it dips down here. It all makes sense together, it all works together and it all flows together."

Heavily inspired by the Italian poet Dante Alighieri, Underworld draws on the themes from Divine Comedy most notably the part on "Inferno". As homage to Dante's use of the number 3 and its multiples, the band utilizes this motif in its music either in a lyrical or melodic context. The first song on the album is a three syllable, three note melodic phrase, and in the verses there are three references to three songs on the bands third album, The Divine Wings Of Tragedy.

For the album's cover art, Symphony X went with their established illustrator Warren Flanagan (Watchmen, The Incredible Hulk, 2012), who similarly tapped into the "secret knowledge" vibe Michael and band embedded in the record. "Warren went with the masks, similar to the first record," explains Romeo. "But when I discussed with him Dante and the underworld, he did his own research and designed a little symbol for each of the nine circles of hell. So there are these little geometric symbols that mean something. That's just what he does. He gets in there and finds these things that maybe no one really besides us knows what it means and yet it has meaning."

Source: nuclearblast.de
Band profile: Symphony X
Posted: 18.05.2015 by BloodTears

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 24   Visited by: 222 users
18.05.2015 - 20:35
YourRequiem
Talk about great news. Take that crappy monday!!
18.05.2015 - 20:44
Fat & Sassy!
elite
Omg. The album cover art looks like ass. Doesn't exactly get me excited for the music... D:
18.05.2015 - 20:45
BloodTears
ANA-thema
elite
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 18.05.2015 at 20:44

Omg. The album cover art looks like ass. Doesn't exactly get me excited for the music... D:

Ass can be a good thing... ahah Seriously though I'm HYPED.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
18.05.2015 - 20:48
nb
New Symphony X album, always welcome
18.05.2015 - 20:52
Sword_Chant
It's a weird album cover, but as quoted from another fellow Metal Stormer, "It's what's inside the sweet wrapper that counts".
18.05.2015 - 20:53
visiblenoise
I hope it has more variation this time. The last one was good, but too many of the songs felt the same.
18.05.2015 - 20:57
BlueDragon
I like the cover, and i bet the music will be awesome, they're one of those bands that never disappoint! \m/
18.05.2015 - 21:03
Written by visiblenoise on 18.05.2015 at 20:53

I hope it has more variation this time. The last one was good, but too many of the songs felt the same.

I fully agree.......last album lacked most of their past "progressive moments" for a heavier sledgehammer approach. The only songs that sounded like their progressive past were Children of a Faceless God & When All is Lost. It was not necessarily a bad thing but I'd like a more balanced band & this album could be that.
18.05.2015 - 21:13
Daniell
_爱情_
elite
I'm very curious what direction they chose this time around.
19.05.2015 - 00:12
Ellinor
This could be the worst cover I have ever seen. MS Paint?
19.05.2015 - 00:28
WorpeX
Made of Metal
Holy shit that artwork is a nightmare. Worst CGI ever and its also extremely unimaginative.
19.05.2015 - 02:03
Opethian
Cool art work!! Could never get into this band after many attempts
19.05.2015 - 02:04
Opethian
Written by WorpeX on 19.05.2015 at 00:28

Holy shit that artwork is a nightmare. Worst CGI ever and its also extremely unimaginative.

If i judged albums by their covers i would have 5 albums in my collection
19.05.2015 - 02:41
DeathSlyzer
Written by WorpeX on 19.05.2015 at 00:28

When the album drops, you should look at this cover constantly. It'll surely make you feel like you're in the "underworld" or what?

I'm so average...

Anyways, looking very much forward to hearing this. Hoping it'll be better, as well as more creative than the last one.
----
I sold my soul to any fool who'd buy it!
What's it gonna take to make you riot!?
19.05.2015 - 05:06
GustavoApolo
The artwork is full of symbolisms, but it has what it needs, nothing more. The Inferno theme is great, and I bet the music will be just as great. I don't expect their bet album ever, but I'm sure it will be an excelent work. lml
19.05.2015 - 07:11
UPDIRNS
Can't wait. Will buy first day. Love these guys.
19.05.2015 - 07:45
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 18.05.2015 at 20:44

The cover looks like ass and the tracklist looks like a Primal Fear tracklist from when they were still good.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
19.05.2015 - 11:31
DrM
DreaMutilated
The description was really vague on the style of the music, I fear Nuclear Blast is affecting them the wrong way. Ever since leaving InsideOut their music became heavier and less complex, less orchestrated and more metal-based, like Nuclear Blast likes it.

Every song is to-the-point and fine-tuned, with us paying a lot of attention to the hooks, voices, riffs, and keeping the interest and the energy high for the entire record.

The emphasis in the description sounds like they were focused on hooks rather than compositions. Not saying these won't have complexities, but I tend to appreciate songs built around an idea or a returning variating motif rather than a simple rock hook, see Divine Wings for example.

At least Nuclear is allowing them to create new releases at a comfortable timetable, once every 4 years, so as to give them time to craft a well made package. Not saying their last albums were bad in any way, really enjoyed them for what they were, I just don't like the direction their label is forcing on them. They are definitely capable of more than what they're allowed to do.

Or I might be completely mistaken and this IS the direction of their choosing, in which case I have nothing to say but best of luck, their last album was definitely a resounding success, and I'd still be buying Underworld regardless.
(Cudos for you who had the patience to read my comment to the end, it became longer than I expected).
19.05.2015 - 13:26
Hex_Omega
Gem Seeker
Latest Dream Theater, At The Gates, Nightwish, now Symphony X; black/dark cover arts are popular nowadays.
19.05.2015 - 16:41
BlankFile
Awsome!
19.05.2015 - 17:30
MikeVonDoom
I lost my interest after "The Odyssey" from 2002...
19.05.2015 - 18:04
Lethrokai
Yeah... I'm not sure why anyone thought obvious CGI over a 2D background would work. Aesthetically that album art is a mess. Even the band name doesn't really fit right.

That being said, the semi-concept they seem to have going for it has got my interest. I'm hoping for something perhaps a little less straight-forward from their last few albums.
----
Sometimes you just need to roll the dice and look away.
20.05.2015 - 06:55
Diverge
The album cover made me laugh out loud. That "X" is hilarious.
20.05.2015 - 21:33
Mechaniacal
What's with the stretched out X? Just got Photoshop and didn't know to hold shift to keep your proportions correct?

Hits total: 4659 | This month: 3