03. Hell Comes Your Way
04. Like A Rat
05. Tomorrow Turns To Blood
06. Home Is Where The Gutter Is
07. Sick In The Head
08. Punisher
09. Reject
10. Dead Set

Honestly, looking at the name, you couldn't fault someone for thinking this is another one of those Municipal Waste side projects, which doesn't set the highest expectations. Don't get me wrong, Cannabis Corpse and Iron Reagan are both good fun, but ultimately a bit disposable. King Parrot meets some expectations and blows away others.

On one hand, despite unrelated, Dead Set does have that thrashy-crossover-punk vibe akin to Municipal Waste, and will surely appeal to the same demographic. On the other hand, this album sets a new high bar for this style of music, destroying anything Municipal Waste have done in...wow, probably going on eight years now. Think Municipal Waste3. Seriously, even the vocals sound like a Cam Pipes-Tony Foresta hybrid, with some obligatory death grunts tossed in for good measure. King Parrot is a band that satisfies all crossover cravings, then takes it ten steps further.

Enough of the MW comparisons, though. Dead Set really does stand nicely on its own, all comparisons aside. A lot of bands, especially of this variety, just pump out aimless riffs for the sake of being stupidly vicious at top-speed. In fact, more times than not, this is the case, making any type of replay value non-existent. Defying the aggression vs catchiness paradox is King Parrot's greatest strength. Sometimes you want machine gun riffing, other times you need something with a little more grip to it. King Parrot does both.

There's not a whole lot of hidden secrets with Dead Set, no track stands as an anomaly. Grab any song from here, give it a quick spin and you'll know pretty quickly if King Parrot is your thing.

Written on 20.05.2015 by Former EIC. Now just a reviewer guy.

Comments

Comments: 12   Visited by: 116 users
20.05.2015 - 02:41
Totenlieder

This sounds rad yo. I'm going to buy it.
----
Blut & Krieg
20.05.2015 - 03:27
Lit.
Account deleted
Haven't been let down by your thrash bands reviews yet. I love me some MW (even Fatal Feast), so I'm definitely gonna check this out.
20.05.2015 - 16:42
midland_don

Can't really hear where the thrash comparisons are coming from for this one, but anyway, KP are a great band and everyone should check 'em out. More a mix of death and grind if you ask me, certainly on their last album anyway (I've only had a quick listen to this new one as yet)...
20.05.2015 - 19:10
Rating: 8
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by midland_don on 20.05.2015 at 16:42

Can't really hear where the thrash comparisons are coming from for this one, but anyway, KP are a great band and everyone should check 'em out. More a mix of death and grind if you ask me, certainly on their last album anyway (I've only had a quick listen to this new one as yet)...

In retrospect, I shouldn't have omitted mentioning the grind aspect. However, I haven't listened to their first album, but I do get a heavy crossover thrash vibe from this.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
21.05.2015 - 12:16
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
All I know this band has funny band name ... maybe I will try to listen it and (maybe even misspell band name King Carrot)
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
21.05.2015 - 14:16
ecent

A good Australian band, Also check out Internal Nightmare.
----
http://www.last.fm/user/ecentrix
24.05.2015 - 00:14
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
Written by Bad English on 21.05.2015 at 12:16

All I know this band has funny band name ... maybe I will try to listen it and (maybe even misspell band name King Carrot)

Here's the true Australian King Parrot: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_king_parrot
----
The sun shines over The Fool...
27.05.2015 - 02:17
Rating: 7
parallax

Only gave it a complete listen twice so far. Pretty good, I'm still absolutely in love with Bite Your Head off though. That had more catchy riffs than this which I liked a bit more. This is a good album though, maybe it'll grow more on me.
01.06.2015 - 16:45
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Cool review. will check them out
----
loves 小巫
19.07.2015 - 02:45
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
Written by deadone on 16.07.2015 at 05:44

2. One of the best albums to ever come out of Australia. Actually maybe the best extreme metal album to come out of Australia ever.

Big call. Will have to check this out. Others have recommended it to me as well. In relation to your point 2. above, made me wonder about contenders for best extreme metal albums from Australian bands. I haven't followed the Australian scene much since the days when Alchemist and Armoured Angel used to regularly gig in Canberra, so I bet there is a lot I have missed.
----
The sun shines over The Fool...
14.09.2015 - 20:00
Rating: 8
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Good music.

It's like MW goes grindcore. Vibes are fun and enjoyable. You can find lot of headbangers going crazy over this disc when KP performs live.

Absolute fun record it is.
17.05.2016 - 15:06
Ball Fondlers

Check out some of their Youtube clips, they are hilarious.

Hits total: 3839 | This month: 12