03. Love Me Two Times
04. Unhappy Girl
05. Horse Latitudes
06. Moonlight Drive
07. People Are Strange
08. My Eyes Have Seen You
09. I Can't See Your Face In My Mind
10. When The Music's Over
11. People Are Strange (False Starts & Dialogue) [40th Anniversary Edition CD bonus]
12. Love Me Two Times (Take 3) [40th Anniversary Edition CD bonus]

To everyone reading this, specially metalheads who are now listening to all kind of revolutionary music and radical pieces in general: please let's not forget our roots, rock music is the main vein in our system, and I see people bashing real rockers for no particular reason, the rockers who changed the music into what it is today; that's exactly why I'm doing this review on a metal website? to show you all the actual origin of the music we are worshiping nowadays.

The Doors was surely an impressive band in their time, of course nowadays everyone gets naked on stage and all, but those days were different you know? This album is the actual proof of what I'm saying, "Strange Days" created the new "almost depressive" sound that is so common at the moment. It takes just one glimpse of the really dark and suicidal "Unhappy Girl" to realize Jim Morrison was really fucked up in the head and that he was able to make drastic pieces in matter of minutes; there's also the poetical and profound song called "When The Music's Over" which is also very sinister and mysterious. The album is covered with this kind of songs which actually can scare more than one due to the lyrical content and to the ominous atmosphere shown in the music.

Have you ever seen a cover this twisted? I'm a fan of Brutal Death and Grindcore in general, so I get to see a lot of sickening covers these days? but damn it, seeing this cover actually gives me the creeps, you can't see what's happening there, a midget dancing on a really miserable street with a fat dude carrying something we can not see, broken windows, gloomy atmosphere, that's creepy no matter what anyone says. And that's actually the concept of this album; Strange Days is all about eeriness and disturbing stuff in general, just hear the experimental and bizarre song called "Horse Latitudes", you can even hear a guy hitting something with a belt or a whip, don't ask me why but I really think that's odd.

Yes there's no metal in this album of course, but the guitar chords are really hard and tightened, and even though there's no bass-lines everything sounds wrapped and filled without gaps; we all know about the magnitude of Ray Manzarek (Keyboards) he is a master in creating environments of ANY kind, last but not least we have Jim Morrison, one of the most twisted and brilliant guys ever to walk the earth, a great band if you ask me.

Strange Days is a brilliant album, their best I think? if you're new with this band I suggest you to try this album you'll get classics such as "People are Strange" and "Moonlight Drive"; the other albums will mess your head way to much (for example "the soft parade" a really complex album)? so do you want to feel older and wiser? Get this album and hear it my friend.

Written by Herzebeth | 05.01.2006

Comments

Comments: 11   Visited by: 112 users
28.02.2007 - 00:52
marillionfan
Account deleted
Strange Days is a very good album, one of the best of this sixties great band. Besides the brilliant epic When the Music's Over, you can also hear other amazing songs such as the title track, I can See Your Face in My Mind, You're Lost little Girl, and the classics People Are Strange and Moonlight Drive.
There's really good musicianship on this really inspired album and as for the vocals, Jim Morrison provides one of his best vocal performances.
28.02.2007 - 02:51
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Im a really big Doors fan and theres no way this album deserved 9.9, as much as it is a great album there are also a few dry parts in the music.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
26.09.2008 - 20:14
marillionfan
Account deleted
Written by Doc G. on 28.02.2007 at 02:51

Im a really big Doors fan and theres no way this album deserved 9.9, as much as it is a great album there are also a few dry parts in the music.

you're right, the rating is too high; but still, this is a really good album, one of their best.
17.12.2008 - 01:27
Daggon
Underpaid M.D.
Ah great band indeed, Jim's voice is awesome, and very deep, very entertaining.
----
"Les vers savent qu'ils n'ont pas d'ailes, c'est pour cela qu'ils se cachent sous terre"
17.12.2008 - 02:02
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Sorry to say but this is actually THE single most overrated band with the most terible lyrics EVER,
Jim's lyrics weren't poetry. They were just incoherent ramblings by a stoned out junkie monkey.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

17.12.2008 - 02:14
Warman
Erotic Stains
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 17.12.2008 at 02:02

with the most terible lyrics EVER,

Even more worse than Sting's?
----
17.12.2008 - 02:19
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Warman on 17.12.2008 at 02:14

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 17.12.2008 at 02:02

with the most terible lyrics EVER,

Even more worse than Sting's?

Damn, I think you got me there. But IMO about the same as Stong solo (sting for The Police was still alright) but then again although stong's lyrics are/were pretentiousthey at least made sense and junkie/stonehead's didn't so... Jim's are definitely worse,,,
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

17.12.2008 - 19:25
JohnDoe
Account deleted
The Doors is an overrated band indeed (nevertheless not more than The Rolling Stones or Nirvana), Morrison's lyrics are weird, but they have put out some decent music, they experimented a little bit with every album, they don't sound the same; I understand people' disappointment with The Soft parade or Waiting for the Sun, or the two albums the other three remaining members did after 1971, but Strange days is a good album, so the bashing is unnecessary - after all in this thread we are supposed to express opinion about this album, aren't we?
05.06.2009 - 21:43
Gigginova
Account deleted
Marcel H. doesn't know what he's talking about......wow :wow:

But anyway, I love psychedelic and '60's rock alot! one of my favourites! The Doors were incredible, Jim's voice, it's like a pre-Glenn Danzig lol.
This probably is their best work.
28.09.2009 - 11:46
Rating: 10
Biddle127

There always is someone saying a band is overrated if they have a reasonably sized fanbase.

Ahh well, good album, not my favourite, but defiantly better than what some have been saying in this thread D:
20.11.2009 - 07:02
bearfin10

Wow man! well put. i love the doors and i know i sound like a poser but strange days is my 2nd favourite album behind their debut. they both deserve 10s in my book. i cant get enough of either of them. every one of thier albums is amazing in its now way

Hits total: 4623 | This month: 4