05. Orgonism
06. Dyson Sphere - I. Mining The Oorth Cloud
07. Dyson Sphere - II. Assembly
08. Dyson Sphere - III. Kardashev II.1 The God Oven
09. Dyson Sphere - IV. Sol Omega
10. The Malkuth Grimoire
11. C-Value Enigma
12. Funeral For A Continent

When it comes to progressive metal, one finds many die-hard fans and others who can't handle it at all. It might be that this genre has a larger ratio of musicians among the fans, those who comprehend the music are more likely to enjoy it with all its facets. Out of nothing now a new band emerged; Alkaloid from Germany greet us with their first ever release after their formation just a year ago. The musicians, however, are known to some people from their work with other big bands like Necrophagist, Obscura or Dark Fortress. Therefore, calling this new project a big surprise would be a bit of an exaggeration, nevertheless the music is worth the praise it currently receives.

The new work entitled The Malkuth Grimoire consists of twelve songs and fills the standard capacity of a CD with its 73 minutes of playing time. All the tracks are quite different from each other, save the "Dyson Sphere" cycle with four consecutive songs that belong together. The music is extreme progressive style, which naturally shows some similarities to the technical death metal genre, yet the music stays just enough down-to-earth at all times so that even easy-listeners won't be lost, like it happens with other bands during endless solos and let's-play-a-hundred-notes-per-bar songs. The progressiveness in this album is rather prominent through the variety of styles, including clean and harsh vocals, acoustic and distorted guitars, groovy and crushing drums and so on. The same goes for the lyrics, which cover many topics from dark stuff over fiction to science.

Musicianship is a most important point for Alkaloid, as expected when looking through the member list. A most interesting feature for those who know how to play it is the hybrid bass that consists of four fretted and two fretless strings, allowing both supporting bass tones and singing treble notes as witnessed in many tracks. Songwriting seems to be the second most important point, for although the music is enjoyable for everyone, the album isn't packed with most awesome moments throughout the whole playing time. Instead, one might like half of the songs but not the other half for example, depending on which style fits his taste best. Personally I am in favour of the first two and the last track plus the "Dyson Sphere" songs which are funny and musically interesting at the same time. Whether a song like "C-Value Enigma" was needed is arguably worth another discussion.

Altogether, The Malkuth Grimoire is a worthy debut album that has something to offer for everyone, not only musicians. Having already raised the bar by themselves it is hard to find a truly outstanding track as all of them maintain a constantly high level, but with a gun on my chest I'd probably go with the opener "Carbon Phrases". Some songs maybe need listening-work to be fully understood, but in general Alkaloid greatly managed to build a bridge between the technical and publicly enjoyable camps in metal.

Written by Windrider | 27.05.2015

Guest review by
qlacs
Rating:
N/A
I felt cringing inside the last time I tried this one and I couldn't remember why. Let's see now. On first impulse it feels like leftover Obscura material that they tried to make more interesting with nice clean passages. Or, for that matter, it feels like not much of anything at all. Is it the production? To me it seems a bit lifeless, stale. It doesn't quite kick me in the guts. The music is... often good. It seems to be dragging a lot; even if I got hooked, it was usually because of the guitar solo (maybe I'm listening to too much tech death?). It gets me expecting some epic counterpoint or breakdown, but none of these are really happening. Sometimes it succeeds in being chaotic, hoping to be interesting. Just like my review of it.

Read more ››
published 21.02.2018 | Comments (0)

Comments

Comments: 4   Visited by: 218 users
27.05.2015 - 17:51
Rating: 10
Eternity'sChild

I agree with most of your opinion. Especially the first two tracks are great and make me really want to go on with the rest of the album.

Also, nice review, was especially interesting when you pointed out some technical stuff (like the bass thing), because that's where I have to admit that I can rarely evaluate how technical something really is.
27.05.2015 - 20:28
Rating: 7
musclassia

The opener certainly stood out most to me, alongside the second and final tracks, funny you picked those songs too. I found this far less tech-wanky than the tech-death crowd some people seem to be throwing it into; the prog death side of it gives it enough flavor to win me over. Perhaps a little long but I generally rather enjoyed it, and I agree with your review for the most part.
28.05.2015 - 01:57
Lionthrone

It's definitely easy to listen to. I'm enjoying it. I'm having trouble finding that stand-out song though that will prompt me to purchase the album but I can't say I have any real complaints either. Kinda strange.
29.05.2015 - 20:46
RyuIV
Account deleted
The Dyson Sphere were some nice songs with a different concept each. I really liked it. Welp, the best song, in my opinion, on this album seems to be Cthulu. They have the potential.

Hits total: 5638 | This month: 8