Metal Storm logo
Flight's Nü-Metal Albums That Don't Suck

As if my street-cred wasn't in the depths already, I submit to you the albums I undoubtedly get the most shit for listening to. There are a few on here that won't leave me beaten in a back alley, and I question the application of this genre to those albums. Nonetheless, all of the groups represented here were at least at one time associated with the 2nd Voldemort of metal. Anyone who says they don't have at least one of these albums is a filthy liar.

Created by: flightoficarus | 27.05.2015

1. Deftones - White Pony
Starting things off strong. This is THE album. It's untouchable, and it transcends everything else that came out in that alternative metal niche. "Change," "Knife Party," "Digital Bath"... I read a review for it once where it was described as "the soundtrack to a ritual suicide." It's not quite that grim, but what a tag-line.
2. Deftones - Around The Fur
Not quite as stellar as the album it precedes, but still an excellent effort and matured transition from the more rap-metal influenced Adrenaline (which I still also love). "Be Quiet and Drive" is one of my all-time favorite songs to this day.
3. Korn - Issues
I was surprised to find how many Korn fans do not really like this album. With the massive number of crushing singles and improved overall songwriting, I think this is their best work, and last great album.
4. Korn - Korn
This album helped usher the blame for the wave of imitators to follow, but I don't think any were as sincere and gritty as this album. The cries on "Daddy" are pretty haunting. Also, who else can rock a quilt and bagpipes?
5. System Of A Down - System Of A Down
"Sugar," "War," "Suite-Pee"... Such a unique sound and frenetic vocals. Toxicity may have been their first commercial success, but their self-titled, in my opinion, sports their best songwriting and guitar work. That solo and quick vocal break in "Soil" are unmatched,
6. System Of A Down - Toxicity
Like many, this was my introduction to the group. Plenty of catchy tunes and still pretty heavy. I think this was their last solid effort. They started to try and add some progressive elements later that were really just repeating the same 2 minutes of music 3-4 times.
7. Slipknot - Slipknot
Say what you will, but I still consider this to be one of the rawest albums out there. Between the conviction in the vocals to the groovy guitar hooks and insanely fast drumming, the self-titled effort is, in my opinion, every bit as heavy and some of the death and black metal albums I listen to.
8. Slipknot - Iowa
The self-titled part II. Plenty of great tracks here: "Left Behind," "Disasterpiece" (those opening vocals...), "Skin Ticket." Even the lengthy title track ends up paying off if you can sit through the 15 minute runtime. This album was mainstream without losing its edge, which is more than I can say about the following Vol 3.
9. Taproot - Gift
Underrated gem of an album. I can't stomach any of their other albums, but I listen to their debut all the time. It's nothing special when it comes down to description, but there is just something about this album that I can't get enough of.
10. Linkin Park - Hybrid Theory
Another case of a band I normally can't stand with an album I still keep on my shelf. I don't think anyone has made an album quite like this one. There is a great atmosphere and countless hits. Admit it, you know half the lyrics to this album. I am not ashamed of it at all.
11. Mudvayne - L.D. 50
Dat bass. Meghan Trainer, eat your heart out. "Dig" is like a weekly listen for me. I cannot rock that track without singing along. "Nothing to Gein" is probably my favorite of the deeper cuts with its somewhat sad ode to serial killer Ed Gein.
12. Static-X - Wisconsin Death Trip
"Yeah! You Push IT!" RIP Wayne. No one did vocals quite like you, and this album is one of the better fusions of industrial and metal that seems to sit right at the Apex. Very fun, and never takes itself too seriously.
13. American Head Charge - The War Of Art
This is a big, dumb album; but that doesn't stop it from having some killer riffs and great sing-along moments. Definitely a bit bloated, but still a satisfying listen.
14. (hed) pe - (hed) pe
Broken is also good, but this eccentric piece of punk/metal/hip-hop fusion was one of the first of its kind to be released via Def-Jam. Another unique vocal performance and plenty of catchy rhythms.
15. Chevelle - Sci-Fi Crimes
I went through high school on Wonder What's Next and pretty much wrote them off after the second album, but this latecomer really impressed me. Every song is simple, but well-written, and I always enjoy those soothing vocals.
16. A Perfect Circle - Mer De Noms
You could argue this as alternative or hard rock, but due to the contributors it often gets grouped in with the muddle. Very cool album featuring MJK from Tool with plenty of different vibes from the rebellious "Judith" to the relaxing "3 Libras." Great guitar and vocals. I saw them live at Lollapalooza and they did not disappoint. Nice wig, Maynard.
17. Soulfly - Soulfly
I commit the sacrilege of not caring for Sepultura (except Roots, which I know is another insult), but enjoying Soulfly. Despite abandoning his thrash roots, I think the tribal instruments and contributions from Chino Moreno and even Fred Durst are memorable as hell. I also enjoy Primitive.
18. Staind - Break the Cycle
I. HATE. THIS. BAND. However, Dysfunction was decent, and this album was purdy darn good. Lots of radio-friendly classics and whining about addiction, but the songs are well-written.

Disclaimer: All top lists are unofficial and do not represent the point of view of the MS Staff.
[ More lists by flightoficarus ]

Comments

‹‹ Back to Lists
Comments: 13   Visited by: 150 users
27.05.2015 - 20:14
Zap
I like those Korn and SOAD albums too. Deftones is alright as well. Can't say I listened to many of the other ones though. I'll check them out if I feel like some nu metal.
Fuck Soulfly though.
27.05.2015 - 20:21
flightoficarus
Stamp Tramp
Written by Zap on 27.05.2015 at 20:14

Fuck Soulfly though.

lol that seems to be the standard reaction of pretty much everyone I know.
----
Daily underground metal recommendations at Metal Trenches.
Watch metal content on the Metal Trenches YouTube Channel.
28.05.2015 - 03:32
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
I knew nu-metal was totally crap, but I never expected it to be this crap.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

29.05.2015 - 13:20
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 28.05.2015 at 03:32

Oh wait only just now do I see Taproot - Gift in the list. That is one hell of an aweseom album.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

29.05.2015 - 18:58
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 29.05.2015 at 13:20

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 28.05.2015 at 03:32

Oh wait only just now do I see Taproot - Gift in the list. That is one hell of an aweseom album.

Yeah.

Along with that is Slipknot's Iowa. But, I prefer their self-title over all releases of Slipknot.
31.05.2015 - 06:06
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
contributor
Taproot is a great band. I love their entire discography. The only Korn album I like is Untouchables. I hate lumping Chevelle in with the rest of nu-metal's mediocre shit. They are so much better.
----
rekt
01.06.2015 - 15:53
Lethrokai
May I also recommend Inucubus' "S.C.I.E.N.C.E." for this list? I would call it a guilty pleasure of mine, except I don't feel guilty in the slightest; it's catchy as fuck and original, with some fun funk thrown in there for good measure.

----
Sometimes you just need to roll the dice and look away.
01.06.2015 - 16:52
flightoficarus
Stamp Tramp
Written by Lethrokai on 01.06.2015 at 15:53

May I also recommend Inucubus' "S.C.I.E.N.C.E." for this list? I would call it a guilty pleasure of mine, except I don't feel guilty in the slightest; it's catchy as fuck and original, with some fun funk thrown in there for good measure.

One should NEVER be guilty of Science. I adore that album. I just never really considered it nü-metal.
----
01.06.2015 - 17:09
Lethrokai
Written by flightoficarus on 01.06.2015 at 16:52

One should NEVER be guilty of Science. I adore that album. I just never really considered it nü-metal.

Heh, that's funny because I have a hard time calling it anything other than nu-metal. Just the kind of impact it leaves on you when your first seconds into it are an explosion of punchy riffs backed by turntables.
----
01.06.2015 - 18:39
flightoficarus
Stamp Tramp
Written by Lethrokai on 01.06.2015 at 17:09

Written by flightoficarus on 01.06.2015 at 16:52

Heh, that's funny because I have a hard time calling it anything other than nu-metal. Just the kind of impact it leaves on you when your first seconds into it are an explosion of punchy riffs backed by turntables.

Psychodelic jazz/funk metal lol
----
01.06.2015 - 18:43
Lethrokai
Written by flightoficarus on 01.06.2015 at 18:39

Psychodelic jazz/funk metal lol

Pls no.
----
23.04.2019 - 22:14
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
staff
NU METAL REVIVAL!
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?
24.08.2021 - 23:52
Mehrad
Toxicity is a masterpiece. And I don't think White Pony is really nu metal.
And you should be ashamed of yourself if you don't like Sepultura.
----
Ride a horse that's cleaving through the air and space of dreams.

Hits total: 3035 | This month: 15