Found in 27 lists
Top lists

Comments page 2 / 2

Comments: 45   Visited by: 742 users
15.09.2015 - 14:10
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Uldreth nailed it.

I find something is only maligned as "predictable" and "generic" when a person doesn't like it. When said person likes something generic the band in question mysteriously has great songwriting, or "maintain their vibe like they intended too", or some other empty platitudes (and mindless ad homs toward the band in this case). In fact predictability is most likely what everyone secretly wants, in some form, out of music in the first place. Something that resonates with one's tastes, and I think to do so a lot of the time one needs an element of predictability. In fact I would say deadone more than anyone else going by his desires; your taste deady tends to gravitate toward nostalgia, or very pre-set paradigms according to your tastes, so I do find it surprising that you malign a band for being "predictable." You are right though: this album is predictable. It does follow a set pattern, but it does it with gusto and energy devoid of its peers (Dark Tranquillity, In Flames etc.) and I'm fairly sure no one is here for Soilwork's Captain Beefheart-level experimentation that they're known for far and wide... And I also agree that he sounds pop-like on the choruses. Again, nothing wrong with that. I'm not into mindless machismo all the time so I like a good singer here and there

And yeah, I called Mustaine a terrible vocalist. I didn't say I wished he would fly into the sun (to ostensibly die) etc. and try to construct a tabloid profile of him to go hand in hand with my opinion. I think MelancholiaC has addressed that particular issue though. It does denigrate an argument when one goes to such length to unnecessarily justify disliking a sound someone has. Not saying someone can't be colourful in their distaste, only going to certain lengths just makes someone sound petty, vindictive or just a contrarian.
29.09.2015 - 03:48
Rating: 9
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
It baffles me how this album is rated lower than The Living Infinite
Written by Guest on 15.09.2015 at 14:10
I find something is only maligned as "predictable" and "generic" when a person doesn't like it. When said person likes something generic the band in question mysteriously has great songwriting, or "maintain their vibe like they intended too", or some other empty platitudes (and mindless ad homs toward the band in this case). In fact predictability is most likely what everyone secretly wants, in some form, out of music in the first place. Something that resonates with one's tastes, and I think to do so a lot of the time one needs an element of predictability.
Indeed, predictability can be one of the most enjoyable aspects of music. If you're going to be predictable, however, you need to do it...right - whatever that means There are countless predictable bands, but only so few manage to hit that sweet spot.

Edit: I might not speak for everyone here, but the key is to write predictable music that is distinguishable. I think that some bands - whether acclaimed or aspiring - seek to imitate past successes regardless of whether their heart is in the music. When that passion is lacking, you end up with some pretty bland, run-of-the-mill tunes. Some people still like that, but I suspect those are just the diehard fans.
29.09.2015 - 04:15
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by deadone on 29.09.2015 at 04:06

As a fan of conventional, dare I say bland metal, I actually don't like predictability. This why I can't stand anything new by bands such as Kataklysm or Devildriver or Arch Enemy and don't like 99% of Amon Amarth and find the new Iron Maiden rather meh.

I totally agree on your other points - music needs to be distinguishable on its own merits.

I think that may be because those bands just don't have their heart in it anymore. Not that you mentioned it, but I don't think that they should stop - they seem to be pleasing enough people
29.09.2015 - 11:53
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by LeKiwi on 29.09.2015 at 03:48

It baffles me how this album is rated lower than The Living Infinite

Indeed, predictability can be one of the most enjoyable aspects of music. If you're going to be predictable, however, you need to do it...right - whatever that means There are countless predictable bands, but only so few manage to hit that sweet spot.

Edit: I might not speak for everyone here, but the key is to write predictable music that is distinguishable. I think that some bands - whether acclaimed or aspiring - seek to imitate past successes regardless of whether their heart is in the music. When that passion is lacking, you end up with some pretty bland, run-of-the-mill tunes. Some people still like that, but I suspect those are just the diehard fans.

People are suckers for long albums I think. I reckon if this was twice as long and full of filler it would probably still get a .1 or so higher.

Compare this album to say, the recent (and probably upcoming) Children of Bodom record. Both are more or less doing what they did back when they were at their best, except this has energy, variety, strong sounds, vocals that sound even better than they used to and dynamism that never lets you get bored. Compare it to the CoB album which totally fucked up the sound, levels and production, has terrible vocals, extremely dull songwriting which you can tell is trying its hardest to emulate classic songs, but ultimately comes off as sounding wrong at every juncture. Both are predictable in a certain framework. Just one of them does it well, the other does not. I don't think it's even rocket science to get it right either. I just think CoB as a band lacks self-awareness. They probably didn't even properly listen to the final product and realise that it sounded iffy as fuck from start to finish. This one on the other hand sounded totally natural throughout. A pretty rare thing. Of course people praised the new CoB because it sounded like a vague, if extraordinary hollow and shit, return to their heyday which shows how people do crave predictability and familiarity.

I hope Dark Tranquillity takes a leaf out of Soilwork's book as they're the one melodeath band I want to stay of high quality, but that doesn't seem to be the case in recent years. Put a bit of oomph into your songs, chuck in plenty in soaring melodies at various points (but don't overdo it), maybe a a few surprise flourishes at points, stick with analogue sounding production and don't chuck the vocals right up the front if you can't pull it off at this stage of your career.
29.09.2015 - 15:35
Rating: 8
Ag Fox
Angel No More
I'm late to the party. Been very behind in terms of catching up with 2015 releases the past few months... but this really surprised me because my previous experience with Soilwork is The Panic Broadcast, which was forgettable and generic. This album has managed to keep me mostly engaged.
----
loves 小巫
29.09.2015 - 16:31
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by deadone on 29.09.2015 at 13:01

Alas DT seemed completely spent on the last album so I wouldn't expect much. I actually liked chunks of We Are The Void so it's not like I'm averse to them toning down. They need a reset like they did on Projector after they'd exhausted the Skydancer formula.

As for CoB - the Halo of Blood was ok albeit unspectacular and somewhat pedestrian. The songs I've heard from the new one are completely flat.

I think to be fair I'm completely done with melodic death metal/extreme power metal. It all sounds the same and largely stale and overdone. Gimme Hatebreeder or Damage Done or Stigmata or Whoracle and fuck the rest of the scene off. I'm done hoping for something to kick my arse in this genre and revitalise it - even Bloodshot Dawn's last one has no staying power

I don't think it's outside the realm of possibility, especially considering how many style changes Dark Tranquillity have gone through in their career. I do agree that it's unlikely though.

I don't actively search out melodeath any more. I'll keep my eyes open for things with offbeat artwork (still a good indicator of something different imo) perhaps in the hope of something revitalising. Another Arsis perhaps. People seem quite content to lap up Insomnium and Be'lakor etc. though, so that's probably what will continue to propagate for the time being.
06.10.2015 - 00:33
Rating: 10
WorpeX
Made of Metal
Album feels like a more condensed Living Infinite. Which is not a bad thing! I'm absolutely loving it just like I did the last album.

Standout tracks for me: "Death in General" "The Ride Majestic" "The Phantom" "Ghost and Thunder"

But none of them even stand close to my all time favorite on this album, and new favorite Soilwork track.... "Father and Son, Watching the World Go Down"
05.12.2015 - 21:11
b0sse

Meh.
First started listening to Soilwork back in 2002 when they released Natural Born Chaos.
Unfortunately since then it has only gone downhill for them.

Just one meh album after another. Natural Born Chaos is the only album I care for by them.
06.12.2015 - 00:18
musclassia

Blow me, The Phantom has some cracking riffs in. This is a real nice surprise, Soilwork is a band I've never managed to muster that much enthusiasm for but this is undeniable.
09.12.2015 - 04:15
Maco
Pvt Funderground
And Joe said I could probably hate this album lol.
----
Crackhead Megadeth reigns supreme.
08.01.2016 - 13:51
Rating: 7
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
Surprisingly good.
----
The sun shines over The Fool...
29.07.2016 - 21:56
BeneathTheMoon
Account deleted
The Phantom, The Phantom, The Phantom ...

In all seriousness, though, this album is extremely solid. The aforementioned, Whirl Of Pain and Enemies In Fidelity are probably my favorite cuts thus far but, really, the entire album is excellent.
20.08.2016 - 16:29
musclassia

This album is seriously addictive. I'm not really a fan of this poppy form of Gothenburg metal, but as far as bands doing this style go, Soilwork are amongst the best at it - there's really hooky songs the whole way through this

Edit: fuck I can't stop listening to it - where the hell did Soilwork pull this from?
02.09.2016 - 21:14
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Definitely the best melodeath since Character. Not a single weak track to be found.
19.08.2022 - 21:56
Rating: 10
schlakt

This is top tier Soilwork for me! Without a doubt my favourite out of their discography.

Hits total: 15363 | This month: 19