Style: Atmospheric black metal, Progressive black metal
Release date: March 2015

01. Einfallen
02. Doppelgänger
03. The Devil's Elixir
04. From The Abyss
05. Messias
06. Unreality

It took me a long-ass time to review this album, mostly because it's a long-ass album. To put things in perspective, Einfallen: A Tale Ov Torment & Triumph is more than twice as long as everything Minor Threat ever recorded. "That's quite a daunting task, Steel," I hear you say. "How ever did you manage to listen to it enough to write about it?" Simple, friend. I have no life.

At an hour and 46 minutes in length, I have to insist that mastermind David Ravengarde has accidentally recorded two albums. This bastard dwarfs even Beautality's 70+-minute debut, and it outlives Reign In Blood nearly four times over. Unwieldy though it may be, however, that kind of magnitude shared across so few songs allows for unprecedented amounts of progression and amplitude. Each song tells its own story; each can delve deeply into a vault of sounds and journeys. And delve it does; rarely does a band's name describe its music so well. Beautality's aesthetic is a somber, sobering one, but it is enchantingly beautiful nonetheless, and it still does not spare the volcanic volume.

Most impressive of all is the fact that, throughout the incredibly lengthy odyssey, Einfallen: A Tale Ov Torment & Triumph never once breaks character; it never once drops its characteristic dismal, grungy twang, carrying it forth through realms of black, death, thrash, doom, and post-metal. Calling to mind at various times artists like Intronaut, Type O Negative, and even Death, Beautality spans a massive array of styles (as well it should, to remain interesting over the course of such a long album). The frequent shifts between freezing blackness and warm gloominess make for an album that is dynamic without being too jagged or confusing.

To offset the sizeable temporal cost of listening to this album, I'll keep my review short and sweet. If you can muster the patience for it, you should plumb the depths of Einfallen and introduce yourself to a magnificent world of forlorn atmospherics.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 8
Production: 7

Written on 01.06.2015 by I'm the reviewer, and that means my opinion is correct.

Comments

Comments: 7   Visited by: 198 users
01.06.2015 - 01:59
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I will check this band out, sounds interesting
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
01.06.2015 - 02:09
psykometal
A staff guy...
Hour and 46 minutes, you say? Uber long, you say? Pfft! Check out Lascaille's Shroud sometime. His second album, from last year, it's just over 2 hours. Oh, and it's a masterpiece too.
----
~Zep, Database and Forum Moderation~

01.06.2015 - 02:11
Rating: 8
ScreamingSteelUS
Editor-in-Chief
Written by psykometal on 01.06.2015 at 02:09

Hour and 46 minutes, you say? Uber long, you say? Pfft! Check out Lascaille's Shroud sometime. His second album, from last year, it's just over 2 hours. Oh, and it's a masterpiece too.

Oh, I couldn't possibly forget that... I think it was the last thing I listened to in the whole Awards this year just because it was so long. But you are correct, it was fantastic.
----
"Earth is small and I hate it" - Lum Invader

I'm the Agent of Steel.
01.06.2015 - 02:18
psykometal
A staff guy...
Written by ScreamingSteelUS on 01.06.2015 at 02:11

Oh, I couldn't possibly forget that... I think it was the last thing I listened to in the whole Awards this year just because it was so long. But you are correct, it was fantastic.

Oh good. You do know LS. Usually I can't stand such uberlong forays into sonic soundscapes, but Brett manages to keep me captivated all the way through.

Normally I'd overlook this due to that kind of length, but I'm intrigued by your review, so I'll definitely be sure to check it out when my data re-ups on my phone in a few days.
----
~Zep, Database and Forum Moderation~

01.06.2015 - 14:26
Hex_Omega
Gem Seeker
So this album is more like Summoning + Enslaved or rather more like Polish Entropia (Post Black)?
02.06.2015 - 00:36
Rating: 8
ScreamingSteelUS
Editor-in-Chief
Written by Hex_Omega on 01.06.2015 at 14:26

So this album is more like Summoning + Enslaved or rather more like Polish Entropia (Post Black)?

I'm not familiar with Entropia, but I don't find it very similar to Summoning. Enslaved isn't a bad comparison, I suppose, but now that I think of it, this actually reminds me a bit of Grey Skies Fallen with some Midnight Odyssey thrown in.
----
"Earth is small and I hate it" - Lum Invader

I'm the Agent of Steel.
02.06.2015 - 10:31
Rating: 6
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by psykometal on 01.06.2015 at 02:09

Same with both Midnight Odyssey albums.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"

Hits total: 3652 | This month: 3