04. Greed, The Evil Seed
05. School Of Pain
06. The Calling
07. The Real Life
08. The Cop
09. A New Hope
10. School Of Pain [demo version] [Japanese bonus]
11. The Calling [demo version] [Japanese bonus]

Do you remember this name, Charlie Dominici? I'm sure that some of you do, because back in 1989 Charlie was the singer of the legendary Dream Theater on their first album "When Dream And Day Unite". After this album, Dominici never found a way to release something else but he did his come back in 2005 with an acoustic album "O3 A Trilogy - Part 1". As you can already understand, this album was the first part of a trilogy and today we will talk about its 2nd part, a pure release of good Progressive Metal.

"O3 A Trilogy - Part 2" is a concept album and a bit like "Mindcrime", it deals with social and human beings problems. The music is a pure Progressive Metal in the vein of the music of Dream Theater or even Queensrÿche. It's technical, extremely complex with a lot of breaks and musical variations and if you like Prog Metal, I'm ready to bet that you'll like this album. Keyboards and guitars soli are present, and you can even find a cool dark atmosphere on all the songs. Seriously, it's good Prog Metal.

The voice of Dominici is still good and he is still able to sing Progressive Metal, though, you have to know that his voice is really special and can be disturbing. It's a matter of taste, I'm not sure that everybody will love it but we cannot deny the fact that Dominici is a good singer with an original voice. When you add to this point that the production of the albums is perfect and that the performance of his musicians is simply excellent, you can probably understand that we're in front of a nice album.

For a come back, it's a good come back. Charlie Dominici wrote a good album and I'm already waiting for the end of his trilogy. "O3 A Trilogy - Part 2" is a great surprise and who know, maybe that after 18 years, Dominici will finally find his place in the world of Metal. If you like Prog, I really recommend you to check this release, you'll probably have a lot of good sensations.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 7
Production: 8

Written by Jeff | 28.02.2007

Comments

Comments: 5   Visited by: 42 users
28.02.2007 - 13:15
andrejmy
Account deleted
Weak review above...
Dominici is the highest quality technical and melodic progressive metal, with great songwriting and great Charlie´s singing performance...
Highly recommended to all fans of traditional prog metal !
28.02.2007 - 13:39
Rating: 8
Jeff
Freaky Admin
Can you tell me where we disagree? : o)

I say that it's a good album of Prog Metal... (but sorry, it's not the album of the decade too...)...
----
Come with us to Hellfest 2011!
28.02.2007 - 13:53
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Totally agree with the review, good decent album, nothing world shattering however. originality is its weakest point (bu the again that's usually the case in so-called progressive metal)
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

28.02.2007 - 16:42
hottercraft

OK album, but no more. It can be because I'm not a high lover of Prog Metal...
15.03.2007 - 23:36
Mariusz
Account deleted
I love this album, I've never heard about Dominici before, but since I found this album here on Metal Storm I've felt in love with O3 A Trilogy - pt.2. Of course it is progressive metal and it couldn't be an other cause those musicians are too great to play something that was alredy done. Truly recommended stuff for those that always going forward, and no looking back. Cheers

Hits total: 4267 | This month: 7