Metal Storm logo
Sólstafir - Release Statement About Split With Drummer

Here is the statement fans have been asking for from Sólstafir in case you have been following what is going on in the band. Iceland's unique act Sólstafir have now announced that they have officially parted ways with their long time drummer Guðmundur "Gummi" Óli Pálmason as a result of conflict between the band members. A few days ago, the drummer claimed he was forced out of the band. Now here we have the other side of the story but they are mostly keeping it to themselves.

Official statement via their Facebook page: "It is with great pain but quiet respect, that we are making this official statement to inform you that for personal reasons beyond reconciliation, Sólstafir and Guðmundur "Gummi" Óli Palmasson have parted ways indefinitely. There are always two sides to every story. No one knows the whole story other than those directly involved. As is the case in any relationship, all parties play their roles in creating and ending it. Both parties have their versions, and often at times, the point gets lost along the way, buried in emotions.

"The bottom line is, Guðmundur is no longer in the band, because of a deep personal conflict that involves all three remaining members and cannot be solved. He is well aware of this. The decision to part ways was absolutely not something that happened overnight, and we are genuinely pained by the way things have turned out. If the three of us had felt there was any way of mending the damage and moving forward with Guðmundur, then of course we would have - and we did make genuine efforts to do so. That is the reason for our silence. Waiting so long to make a statement was wrong on our part, and for that, we apologize. There are so many personal levels to this split. It has been very difficult to find the words while still respecting our individual privacy, Guðmundur's included.

"Despite what we have read that appears to have been written in anger, bitterness, and seemingly spite, we continue to hold no ill will toward Guðmundur and sincerely want to thank him for all of his hard work and being such a huge part of the band for all these years. We acknowledge this fact every day and of course, he will receive his fair share. There was never any intention not to do this. We will never forget his role in Sólstafir, which is why we remain silent about the reasons now and in the future. We can only hope you respect and understand this. Sólstafir will continue as a three piece with a session percussionist, just as we have since January of this year. We hope to see you all on the road and can only ask for your continued support. With much love and respect, Sólstafir."

Guðmundur has been behind the drum kit since the early days of the band back in 1995. For now, they will go on as a three piece and a session percussionist. Who knows what the future will bring.

[Also thanks to Fallen Ghost for sending in this news!]

Source: facebook.com
Band profile: Sólstafir
Posted: 05.06.2015 by Gothmog_Motsham

Comments page 2 / 2

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 38   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 229 users
09.06.2015 - 00:36
skydancer
Smells like drama of the year.

My two cents on the matter (involves lots of speculation, so tinfoil hats on if you will):

Guðmundur is a drug/alcohol addict, and this hinders the band in touring/making music.

Now before you dismiss my theory, just try to substitute this as the primary reason for the whole drama. Sólstafir being quiet about the matter? Makes sense. Several pages long frantic rant? Makes sense. Aðalbjörn saying "I know you can't see it right now, but this will be the best thing that ever happened to you!" Makes sense. Aðalbjörn securing Sólstafir from the irresponsibilities of a drug abusive band member by patenting it for himself? Makes sense. If this was the situation, all of the bands actions make sense, they're for Guðmundur's sake, and also his rant and style starts to make sense as well.

I'm not saying this is the case, it's just a theory. But I can see all this happening because of a situation like this, and don't really have any other idea what could explain this, if not for Aðalbjörn being a greedy fucking bastard, which is a lot more unlikely. No one turns into a money-hungry beast overnight after 20 years of honest musicianship. Yes, it can happen, we've seen it, but over a course of several years and shitty albums (which Sólstafir doesn't have)

You can now take off the tinfoil hats.
09.06.2015 - 01:10
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
All I will say about this matter is NO alcohol/drugs in pplay but a woman is.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

09.06.2015 - 11:22
skydancer
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 09.06.2015 at 01:10

Well, things are worse than I thought.
13.06.2015 - 05:43
deineath
Who's telling the truth ? there was another story. I think they'd been making some drama to show how they kicked him out of the band. So sad.
19.06.2015 - 19:33
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Staff
It seems that he's out of Morbid Angel as well
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?
06.07.2015 - 23:45
Siggi
Written by skydancer on 09.06.2015 at 11:22

There WERE drugs involved, but Aðalbjörn was the one using cocaine every day and stealing money from the band and Gummi knew about this and that's when their friendship started to fall apart
Also if you think you know so much, why don't you tell that Gummi forgave both Aðalbjörn and Svavar who both slept with his girlfriend (not at the same time)!
07.07.2015 - 00:11
God Alone
Written by Siggi on 06.07.2015 at 23:45

There WERE drugs involved, but Aðalbjörn was the one using cocaine every day and stealing money from the band and Gummi knew about this and that's when their friendship started to fall apart
Also if you think you know so much, why don't you tell that Gummi forgave both Aðalbjörn and Svavar who both slept with his girlfriend (not at the same time)!

OUCH.
07.07.2015 - 17:36
skydancer
Written by Siggi on 06.07.2015 at 23:45

Written by skydancer on 09.06.2015 at 11:22

Dude, I was just speculating, chill out. I don't know shit. All I know is that it's sad that stuff like this are tearing a band apart (whatever it is in the end), and this is definitely not about the music anymore, so I probably won't buy anymore Sólstafir albums, because I refuse to fund any of this shit.

Hits total: 6510 | This month: 15