02. Toadstool Journey
03. Mural
04. Off With Their Heads
05. Übermensch
06. Draw The Line
07. Shot Down
08. Mama Stabber
09. Teaspoonful

The last time I got envolved with an Industrial Metal album was back in the old Static-X days when they released "Wisconsin Death Trip", after that I think I heard Ministry a couple of times and that was it. Many years passed by and recently I received the album I'm reviewing right now, all of a sudden I began liking the Industrial Metal genre again, the oddity was back when I first heard the opening title...I was really surprised with the first listen.

Then it worn off; but that doesn't mean it's a bad album, it's still a very intense listen to say the least. Scorngrain creates a very fulfilling style that resembles to their forefathers (speak Fear Factory and Ministry) withouth copycating their music whatsoever. The album comes wrapped with a very Thrashy vibe with a lot of electronics and programming...no wonder why they call themselves "Cyber-Thrash"...anyways, the general scheme of the music is just Industrial Metal, the blasting drumming the melodic breakdowns the catchy guitar riffs and the reminiscent vocalizations are all inside this album.

Yes, it's a great experience, but the only turn-off comes with the songwriting; the structures are really similar between tracks, so after listening to this album a lot you'll hear spices of monotony and repetitiveness. Fortunately, the band was smart enough to add a couple of versatile tunes such as "Übermensch" or "Shot Down" without the explotaiton of blast-beats and jammed programming adding a lot of melody and balance to the music.

I must urge the Industrial Metal aficionados to check this album out, it will refreshen your brain a little bit, nowadays there are few decent Industrial bands you know? Hearing Scorngrain is a very interesting experience actually. But don't set your expectations to a high level, just wait for a good album and you'll be pleased.

Best Tracks: "Teaspoonful", "Übermensch", "The Code".

Buy The Album Here

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 7
Originality: 9
Production: 8

Written by Herzebeth | 28.02.2007

Comments

Comments: 4   Visited by: 17 users
28.02.2007 - 21:50
Götter
elite
IMO this album SUCKS, at least for my non-industrial ears. Rated it 2/5 myself in a review. Too bad the almost-decent thrash/death riffs are drowned in that horrible oppressive background noise.
28.02.2007 - 22:17
Herzebeth
Written by Götter on 28.02.2007 at 21:50

IMO this album SUCKS, at least for my non-industrial ears. Rated it 2/5 myself in a review. Too bad the almost-decent thrash/death riffs are drowned in that horrible oppressive background noise.

yeah I think I understand you and I agree in the "drowned riffs" part, I didn't mind that much as I thought the background was quite good, they used the programming in a very...yes sadistic...but entertaining way. What I didn't like was the monotonous songwriting...
----
01.03.2007 - 00:05
Götter
elite
Written by Herzebeth on 28.02.2007 at 22:17

Written by Götter on 28.02.2007 at 21:50

yeah I think I understand you and I agree in the "drowned riffs" part, I didn't mind that much as I thought the background was quite good, they used the programming in a very...yes sadistic...but entertaining way. What I didn't like was the monotonous songwriting...

There was SONGWRITING involved?
04.03.2007 - 17:28
Southern Wind
Account deleted
I also had to review this album, and my thought were rather similar. It is a really dense, suffocating and soul-crushing album, but the songwriting isn't that brilliant and turns rather repetitive after a while. 7/10 IMO

Hits total: 5820 | This month: 11