Metal Storm logo
The Most Storied Metal Band

Original post

Posted by Account deleted, 21.05.2006 - 23:00
There are a lot of metal bands out there with rich histories. These bands usually happen to be influential in pionering sub-genres. Death, Deicide, Bathory, Venom, Dream Theater, Watchtower, Metallica...so, which one do you think is the most storied and has the most richest history in metal...
23.08.2006 - 14:49
Iris
Account deleted
Definitely Mayhem with Burzum!!!
Could we also say Children Of Bodom,because of the story they were influenced by???
23.08.2006 - 15:34
Valentin B
Iconoclast
mayhem,burzum,black sabbath,dio-for the satanism
maiden,metallica,dave mustaine-for the "back-in-the-day metal band" folklore
also more lately tarja's leaving of nightwish inspired loads of rumors,as to maybe tarja is right about what she said about the band,or the band is right,or whatever
23.08.2006 - 15:38
Sunioj
Mayhem, Burzum, Metallica, Nightwish, and now probably Dissection.
23.08.2006 - 15:38
Damnated
Churchburner
Is everyone forgetting Led Zep? Page had that occultism thing going on, album covers were almost banned, Bonzo died, Percy's son also died, and these deaths were written on the count of Page's occultism.
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
23.08.2006 - 16:34
Wo0dy
Account deleted
Mayhem definetly had some interesting shit cause right now im reading Lords of Chaos, alot of interesting stuff about Mayhem... Thank you Euronymous...
24.08.2006 - 02:09
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Oh god, Another hard desision,

Well as far as MegaDeth, They've been through some shit, Dave having been to Rehab 18 times before getting Clean and All.......
Then Metalica Lost Clif Burton, and has also had their fair share of Drug adiction......
And Iron maiden has had so many fucking line ups and history behind their lineups it's not EVEN funny....
There is probably a million more examples out there.......
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
24.08.2006 - 02:14
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Written by Damnated on 23.08.2006 at 15:38

Is everyone forgetting Led Zep? Page had that occultism thing going on, album covers were almost banned, Bonzo died, Percy's son also died, and these deaths were written on the count of Page's occultism.

Well even though Zepplin has a hell of a history, (and as long as it's positive, there's nothing wrong with the occult) But Led Zepplin isn't a metal Band, they're just rock. I like em a lot, and it's no insult to you, but the reason why we don't bring them up is because it's not a part of the thread topic, that's all
----
-Kakita Toshimoko

24.08.2006 - 02:24
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Written by Guest on 13.08.2006 at 11:48

Iron Maiden,definitely,almost every genre was influenced by them in some way...

True enough, They also had More line up changes then A lot of bands, but still managed to maintain a strong nucleous consisting of steve harris and for the most part Dave Murray, Yeah maiden has a helluva history.
----
-Kakita Toshimoko

24.08.2006 - 02:26
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by Arian Totalis on 24.08.2006 at 02:14

Written by Damnated on 23.08.2006 at 15:38

Well even though Zepplin has a hell of a history, (and as long as it's positive, there's nothing wrong with the occult) But Led Zepplin isn't a metal Band, they're just rock. I like em a lot, and it's no insult to you, but the reason why we don't bring them up is because it's not a part of the thread topic, that's all

The genre of Led Zep deserves a discussion, but maybe not here. I see your point though.
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
24.08.2006 - 06:59
nana.MD
Star-Queen
...i say u should explain your decision...i personally don't know the stories of all the bands you've mentioned here so it'll be interesting to know a bit of them...
----
Live how you want just don't feed on me, if you doubt what I say I will make you believe...
26.08.2006 - 00:01
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Sunioj on 23.08.2006 at 15:38

Mayhem, Burzum, Metallica, Nightwish, and now probably Dissection.

Because Jon dies hmm, then Death, The Doors, Led Zeppelin shood be too

And Dissection arnt write so good material after Jon was realised from jail, so, I dont think thay are band who shood be here
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
27.08.2006 - 01:47
Bitch Boy
Korn may not be the most storied band ever, but these guys have plenty of stories and has been a controversial band in the metal scene, first of all because Korn is believed of creating nu metal, and some people say that Korn and the other nu metal bands aren't metal, while some others say that nu metal is part of the metal genre, or an evolution of it. Korn is responsible of turning nu metal into a commercial genre, and the result was that lots of metalheads began to hate this genre, arguing that it isn't only because of how commercial nu metal is, but because of "its lack of content" or because of the mix with hardcore and rap. In the other hand, the same people say that Korn "stole" riffs and other stuff from bands like Sepultura, Slayer, Metallica, Faith No More, among others. There are other stories, like Jonathan Davis's "childish" lyrics about rape, teen issues, etc., or Head's departure and entrance into the Christian world. Still, Korn was the band that introducted lots of metalheads into metal, and the band is followed by thousands of people.
27.08.2006 - 15:02
Sunioj
@Karisikas,
I like the new dissection, definetly not as much as their other two, but there are still fans who like this album somewhat.
29.08.2006 - 00:35
UnholyMenace
Psycho
If we speak widely, then I think it is Metallica because it is the one band even the non-metal listeners know. Im not saying that it is the only metal band they know, but im sure it is one of the first metal band name that would come out if youd ask a non-metal listener to name one famous metal band. It is like the band is (was) everywhere - the tv, magazines, radio etc - it is pretty hard not to know and notice it.
29.08.2006 - 07:51
Anthem
Metallica has earned their place in rock history. Maybe the last few years have been sketchy but they have lasted over 20 yrs.

Although I HATED the last record they still deserve props!!
----
I swear by my life and love for it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor shall I ask another to live for me.

John Galt
23.11.2006 - 07:50
HeathenBlood
Account deleted
Metallica is totlaay sell-out band and they have earned a good space in local mainstreem...
23.11.2006 - 14:53
Warman
Erotic Stains
Very hard question, I think I'll have to say Metallica. They've had such a big influence on the metal scene, have evolved from being loved and worshiped to hated and mainstream, drug problems, problems within the band, one of the most best-selling bands etc. They've have experienced a lot!
----
24.11.2006 - 07:56
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Motley Crue, anyone read 'the dirt'?
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
24.11.2006 - 17:57
AnGina--
Dark Phoenix
Metallica - Cliff Burton, Mustaine, Napster, alcohol, money, awesome albums, good albums, sucky albums - they have it all.
----
You think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it. Molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was a man. But it was nothing to me but blinding.
25.11.2006 - 08:49
Eternal Flames
I would say Mayhem and Metallica surely. The whole Norwegian Black Metal scene started with Mayhem and Burzum with the murder of Euronymous and the arsons, church burnings etc. Even today, the story behind the band plays a big role in the black metal 'scene' and has shaped black metal in my opinion.

Metallica have also had a huge story behind them. As already mentioned, the napster issues, the death of Burton and the firing of Mustaine. They've also got a really strong story behind their music.
25.11.2006 - 10:11
Syrack
Account deleted
Most of the norwegian bands especially Mayhem, Burzum, Gorgoroth, Darkthrone, Emperor, Mortiis...
Bathory too, Quorton was making hotel reservations by different names some like Mot Orhead.
There was time when some magazines said his name was the same with swedish folk singer. R.I.P.
22.01.2007 - 10:23
Paganblood
The Aryaputra
Written by Guest on 23.11.2006 at 07:50

Metallica is totlaay sell-out band and they have earned a good space in local mainstreem...

Yes, Metallica has listed themselves on the 'sell-outs' list'.... They seem to believe that they can do anything just because they have a lot of fans.
----
that which shines without names and forms...
23.01.2007 - 04:56
HeathenBlood
Account deleted
You are right Paganblood ..they are now totally local mainstreem band...they sold their metallic soul.THey aren't the early Metallica now.
24.01.2007 - 00:59
Himann
Orm KrigGud
Mayhem with all the deaths and murders and betrayals and kvlt forming and Euronymous being a major contributor to many many other Black Metal bands out there it has to be them. Also Bethlehem are very controversial. They are constantly hounded by the cops with their stuff getting confisicated just cause the mother of some kid got pissed off. (The kid was building a suicidal alter so can't blame her that much I guess) also all the suicides and deaths that they witnessed before starting the band. In truth it was all these problems that even resulted in them starting the band. After that they coin a new genre.. Lot of history to say the least.

Similarly, there are quite a few bands who have very deep history and are quite 'storied'..
----
To be Draped by the Shadow of your Morbid Palace. Ohh, Hate Living...The only heat is warm blood

So Pure... So Cold
Transilvanian Hunger
25.01.2007 - 12:28
APOHAKC
The Bard
Written by Himann on 24.01.2007 at 00:59

Mayhem with all the deaths and murders and betrayals and kvlt forming and Euronymous being a major contributor to many many other Black Metal bands out there it has to be them. Also Bethlehem are very controversial. They are constantly hounded by the cops with their stuff getting confisicated just cause the mother of some kid got pissed off. (The kid was building a suicidal alter so can't blame her that much I guess) also all the suicides and deaths that they witnessed before starting the band. In truth it was all these problems that even resulted in them starting the band. After that they coin a new genre.. Lot of history to say the least.

Similarly, there are quite a few bands who have very deep history and are quite 'storied'..

Yes, I agree, they do so much in their career, they done everything but music. Mayhem exist for a very long time and they do only one or maybe two real albums (I don't count post Euronymous period), but they do everything, they had their own cult, whole organisation, then their members were dying every day and more than half of them were constantly in prison, some of Mayhem members are really special persons, we have Varg, he can wrote book only about his life, and finally murders and/or suicides, first Dead, and there was many legends about his brain and staff and then Euronymous and Varg story...
----
They say that we are gone but I can't let you down
The heathen faith will rise again we won't fail now
I know we cannot die forever is our time
Give my people back to me free from Christianity!!!!
25.01.2007 - 14:16
Himann
Orm KrigGud
Written by APOHAKC on 25.01.2007 at 12:28

Yes, I agree, they do so much in their career, they done everything but music. Mayhem exist for a very long time and they do only one or maybe two real albums (I don't count post Euronymous period), but they do everything, they had their own cult, whole organisation, then their members were dying every day and more than half of them were constantly in prison, some of Mayhem members are really special persons, we have Varg, he can wrote book only about his life, and finally murders and/or suicides, first Dead, and there was many legends about his brain and staff and then Euronymous and Varg story...

You say it's not so much post Euronymous but even that's not true in Norway because you ask some kid on the street and they'll tell you the whole story about Count Grishnarck and Mayhem. Its like part of the history of the country now.. Mayhem's exploits are still spoken of a lot (including current ones). Some people get their newer albums just for the news or to critisize them (even non Black Metal fans). Varg is still an enormously public figure. Mayhem get a lot of sh*t from some press and governments for the gore-like nature of their live shows. It almost like legendary stuff here..
----
To be Draped by the Shadow of your Morbid Palace. Ohh, Hate Living...The only heat is warm blood

So Pure... So Cold
Transilvanian Hunger
25.01.2007 - 14:36
Ulven i Manden
Account deleted
BM --> Burzum... Varg probably becomes a Legend.
Progressive Metal --> Tool... very mysterious art/philosophy "background".
25.01.2007 - 15:42
APOHAKC
The Bard
Written by Himann on 25.01.2007 at 14:16

Written by APOHAKC on 25.01.2007 at 12:28

You say it's not so much post Euronymous but even that's not true in Norway because you ask some kid on the street and they'll tell you the whole story about Count Grishnarck and Mayhem. Its like part of the history of the country now.. Mayhem's exploits are still spoken of a lot (including current ones). Some people get their newer albums just for the news or to critisize them (even non Black Metal fans). Varg is still an enormously public figure. Mayhem get a lot of sh*t from some press and governments for the gore-like nature of their live shows. It almost like legendary stuff here..

It is not hard to believe in that, even in serbia people who don't even listen metal knows two or three metal bands, Iron Maiden, Metallica ...and Mayhem, many of them never heard them but they all know about murders nd staff like that, many newspaper when wants to get metal to bad voice write about Mayhem and many of those jurks never heard anything of great Mayhem's music. Don't get me wrong Mayhem is definetly among my favorite bands. Long live Mayhem!
----
25.01.2007 - 16:04
Himann
Orm KrigGud
Written by APOHAKC on 25.01.2007 at 15:42

It is not hard to believe in that, even in serbia people who don't even listen metal knows two or three metal bands, Iron Maiden, Metallica ...and Mayhem, many of them never heard them but they all know about murders nd staff like that, many newspaper when wants to get metal to bad voice write about Mayhem and many of those jurks never heard anything of great Mayhem's music. Don't get me wrong Mayhem is definetly among my favorite bands. Long live Mayhem!

Yep bit having said that, Mayhem are still more well known for their older exploits (especially early 90's. Bergen specially was practically upside down rioting and stuff. Bands like Nargaroth who were firm Burzum supporters even went as far as saying "F*ck you Mayhem" in one of their live shows where they covered Black Spell of Distruction. I dont think there's much enemity remaining now since Varg and Hellhammer seem to be getting along these days. Anyway there was a lot of division due to this between fans, friend and relatives that time..
----

So Pure... So Cold
Transilvanian Hunger
25.01.2007 - 16:08
APOHAKC
The Bard
Written by Himann on 25.01.2007 at 16:04

Written by APOHAKC on 25.01.2007 at 15:42

Yep bit having said that, Mayhem are still more well known for their older exploits (especially early 90's. Bergen specially was practically upside down rioting and stuff. Bands like Nargaroth who were firm Burzum supporters even went as far as saying "F*ck you Mayhem" in one of their live shows where they covered Black Spell of Distruction. I dont think there's much enemity remaining now since Varg and Hellhammer seem to be getting along these days. Anyway there was a lot of division due to this between fans, friend and relatives that time..

It is sad, I know many people who make Mayhem vs Burzum clans, it is stupid
----