Metal Storm logo
The Most Storied Metal Band

Original post

Posted by , 21.05.2006 - 23:00
There are a lot of metal bands out there with rich histories. These bands usually happen to be influential in pionering sub-genres. Death, Deicide, Bathory, Venom, Dream Theater, Watchtower, Metallica...so, which one do you think is the most storied and has the most richest history in metal...
25.01.2007 - 16:24
Himann
Orm KrigGud
Yes that is the case sometimes. Personally I like both bands for different reasons. I dont think there is that much trouble these days though as nobody makes much of a fuss about Varg playing in De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas except perhaps Euronymous' mother..
----
To be Draped by the Shadow of your Morbid Palace. Ohh, Hate Living...The only heat is warm blood

So Pure... So Cold
Transilvanian Hunger
20.04.2008 - 15:46
Berfones

Venom- starting black metal
Bathory- starting viking metal
Black Sabbath- starting metal
Norwegian BM bands- starting True Norwegian BM
Mayhem- murder suicide death
Burzum- church burnings, murder (alegendly)
Gorgoroth- many tales (nothing is proven)
----
Thine truly,ancient evil overlord
21.04.2008 - 21:49
Stalker
Lone wanderer
Mayhem - killings, burnings, fucked up stuff
Megadeth - well, mostly about things Dave said, done, etc, there is a bunch of stories, he is one crazy dude
Iron Maiden - well, legendary band with lots of members and long history, what do you need more
Death - one of the pioneers of DM, later of Technical DM, death of Chuck Schuldiner
----
21.04.2008 - 22:06
Øyvind
Grave Digger
Mayhem - gave us Per Yngve Ohlin
Metallica - gave metal to the masses
Iron Maiden - do I really need to say anything?
Burzum - Varg Vikernes, enough said
People here mention Led Zeppelin a lot, if I should add hard rock bands, then LZ, AC/DC, GnR, the bands that really deserve to be mentioned here.
----
22.04.2008 - 12:38
Hamird
Lieutenant
MayheM is almost the most storied band. first Dead's suicide, then Euronymous' murder, Varg sending to the jail, Maniac era, and today Attila's power...
25.04.2008 - 10:50
BloodTears
ANA-thema
I would say Maiden, Metallica and Black Sabbath. Also Led Zeppelin if you consider them metal (lets not go there) but Led certainly helped the popularity of metal I think. So I'm basically agreeing with what was said here already.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
26.04.2008 - 16:56
Zenzero
Zenzero
Iron Maiden for first!! maybe the most famous metal band in the world!! after metallica!!! but i think about black sabbath and judas priest too!!!!
30.04.2008 - 04:29
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
well Valfar fucking FROZE to death...
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
01.05.2008 - 08:23
Vinnie R.
Chido Chido
Iron Maiden for far!
01.05.2008 - 10:05
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Written by BitterCOld on 30.05.2006 at 08:58

THe most storied band is tough to pick out - all in all, I would have to say Ozzy simply because he was there with Sabbath at the birth of metal and has managed to adjust/reinvent his image and stay relevant for about 35 years now.

Starting metal, shocking folks in the US during Sabbath's initial tour, the death of Randy Rhodes, pissing on the Alamo, snorting ants, starting Ozfest, his family TV show, showing up at Republican dinners (Dubya "Ozzy, Mom loves your stuff!")... while some bands (i.e. the aforementioned mayhem) might have had some short lived mass sensationalism, NO ONE has had the cultural impact The Wizard of Ozz has.

Since this thread is rezzed, so is my answer.

Ozzy.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
02.05.2008 - 21:42
Mikyz

Written by BitterCOld on 01.05.2008 at 10:05

Written by BitterCOld on 30.05.2006 at 08:58

THe most storied band is tough to pick out - all in all, I would have to say Ozzy simply because he was there with Sabbath at the birth of metal and has managed to adjust/reinvent his image and stay relevant for about 35 years now.

Starting metal, shocking folks in the US during Sabbath's initial tour, the death of Randy Rhodes, pissing on the Alamo, snorting ants, starting Ozfest, his family TV show, showing up at Republican dinners (Dubya "Ozzy, Mom loves your stuff!")... while some bands (i.e. the aforementioned mayhem) might have had some short lived mass sensationalism, NO ONE has had the cultural impact The Wizard of Ozz has.

Since this thread is rezzed, so is my answer.

Ozzy.

I agree Ozzy and i would add Mayhem + Burzum
----
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone.
28.06.2008 - 01:52
Shinigamy
Account deleted
Written by Stalker on 21.04.2008 at 21:49

Mayhem - killings, burnings, fucked up stuff
Megadeth - well, mostly about things Dave said, done, etc, there is a bunch of stories, he is one crazy dude
Iron Maiden - well, legendary band with lots of members and long history, what do you need more
Death - one of the pioneers of DM, later of Technical DM, death of Chuck Schuldiner

Deffinitly my choice too
01.09.2008 - 05:30
Iron Priest

Judas Priest has quite the history

Lead singer is gay
Former drummer sexually assaults drum student
An unheard of singer replaces the Metal God
Movie made about their story (Although by the end of it, the film was a shadow of what it was meant to be)
Huge lawsuit against them for supposed subliminal messages resulting in 2 teen deaths
Major pioneers in several genres of metal
Invented the look of metal

I'm sure I'm forgetting more
11.09.2008 - 06:05
nana.MD
Star-Queen
...chuck schuldiner was death metal's godfather...nothing more to say
----
Live how you want just don't feed on me, if you doubt what I say I will make you believe...
14.02.2010 - 08:03
Gobobbles
Account deleted
Whether good or bad I think it's Metallica...no question
18.06.2011 - 21:42
Mattybu

I think Black Sabbath would be my answer. They started metal, and they have a hell of a lot of "stories" from their tours. I read some of Ozzy's autobiography and they did some crazy stuff back in the day. Other than that, they have just had such an influence on the genre and their early music is nothing short of legendary,

I'd put Maiden and Death close behind.
18.06.2011 - 22:13
JD
Account deleted
Nile, and Mayhem.
19.06.2011 - 14:16
Metal_4Ever

Written by Mattybu on 18.06.2011 at 21:42

I think Black Sabbath would be my answer. They started metal, and they have a hell of a lot of "stories" from their tours. I read some of Ozzy's autobiography and they did some crazy stuff back in the day. Other than that, they have just had such an influence on the genre and their early music is nothing short of legendary,

I'd put Maiden and Death close behind.

Agree
21.06.2011 - 20:44
ANGEL REAPER

Norvegians in 90's ,iron maiden,Bathory,Death...
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
24.06.2011 - 00:05
qlacs
"The Quaker"
+1 for classic black metal bands.
----
24.06.2011 - 02:22
Vacant Throne

+1 Iron Maiden. Can't compete with that.
28.06.2011 - 08:43
Sammol

Dissection!
Jail + Suicide = Cool Story
28.06.2011 - 09:17
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Sammol on 28.06.2011 at 08:43

Dissection!

Varg did it better, just sayin'.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
02.07.2011 - 23:45
Beastofmetal456
Account deleted
Metallica and Megadeth together, including Dave Mustaine seeking revenge from Metallica.
17.08.2011 - 01:52
BeastOfMetal456
Account deleted
Written by Troy Killjoy on 28.06.2011 at 09:17

Written by Sammol on 28.06.2011 at 08:43

Dissection!

Varg did it better, just sayin'.

Of course he did it better.
17.08.2011 - 03:24
Mothman

Written by Berfones on 20.04.2008 at 15:46

Venom- starting black metal
Bathory- starting viking metal
Black Sabbath- starting metal
Norwegian BM bands- starting True Norwegian BM
Mayhem- murder suicide death
Burzum- church burnings, murder (alegendly)
Gorgoroth- many tales (nothing is proven)

These, along with one more: Pentagram. They were pioneers of Doom Metal, and have stayed intact for 40 years (1971 - present). The band shouldn't be around, but by God, they are. Numerous line-up changes have occurred in Pentagram's history, but lead singer Bobby Liebling never called it quits. That, my friends is dedication.
08.09.2011 - 13:06
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Mayhem. All of metals bad reputation condenced into one band. Great reding on wikipeadia.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
10.09.2011 - 20:15
Lit.
Account deleted
I'm going with Motley Crue. Along with the development of the band, each member has massive history from their time in the Sunset Strip to everything else that went on in their life. Seriously, the Dirt is one of the most layered books I've ever read. Coming from a guy who practically has a library in his room.
10.09.2011 - 20:54
Guib
Thrash Talker
Well maybe not for bad reasons, but Iron Maiden is certainly storied as fuck
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
11.09.2011 - 07:48
bluemobiusx
Account deleted
I say you gotta go with Metallica. There is so much out there documented about that band. Dave's firing, Cliff's death, alcoholism, mistreatment of Jason, Napster drama, there stylistic changes, Some Kind of Monster, and etc. There are countless stories out there about that band.