04. We Are The Legions
05. Into The New World
06. Longing Horizon
07. Mask Of Flies
08. The Cloak And The Dagger
09. Beneath The Waves
10. Doom And Oblivion [bonus] [limited edition version]
11. The Tale Of The Downfall [bonus] [limited edition version]

I admit that when I received Battlelore's latest release I felt obscure, I was in a condition of distress because I didn't have the best impressions from this band because back in 2003 I had listened to their second album, "Sword's Song", and I didn't quite enjoy it to tell the truth. Filled not with the greatest expectations I put the album in the cd player to realise that, oddly, as the songs were flowing the one after the other I was enjoying "Evernight" a lot, even from the first composition! A very pleasant surprise if I may say!

Well, Battlelore hail from Finland and during February, 2007 managed to return with their fourth full-length attempt through Napalm Records and all I can say is that the band worked really hard to accomplish a very good album. The very first impression on an album is being formed by the cover artwork and then the title and both cover and title pace beautifully together in this occassion! The artwork lies in shades of grey and shows a team of people in boats sailing down a lake amidst mountains and forests towards the unknown, probably soon to reach the point of "Evernight". As for the music it is hard for me to label it since it incorporates epic, folk-oriented, atmospheric and metal elements, one thing is for sure, the overall outcome is expressive, intense and emotional, making you care not about the categorization of Battlelore's music.

The band keeps an expressive balance between the vocals, the guitars, the keyboards and the rhythm section (which holds the compositions really well and lends the ideal groove) and all together create the ideal atmosphere. The guitar riffing is powerful and in some more melodic passages lie hidden some more folk-oriented ideas that blend beautifully with the charismatic female vocals and the keyboard chants, at times though the riffing steps behind and gives its place to some more acoustic passages that offer their own fragile beauty into Battlelore's compositions. The ethereal female vocals are just dreamy, enchanting, a bittersweet atmosphere of their own, imprisoning the listener under a violet veil of overflowing sadness, whereas the grunting male vocals are very good, could be better though, but they fit the music really well, lending a sharper edge to the compositions. Some polyphonic passages couldn't be missing since some passages ask for it so as the sound will be more complete and along with the floating keyboard melodies unleashing their either more symphonic or more fragile dreams the soundscape seems perfect.

The songs that managed to tear me apart and then synthesize me all over again from the start were the elegiac, emotional and intense "House Of Heroes", the epic and surrounding sadness of "Longing Horizon" and the outstanding "Beneath The Waves" with the dramatic epilogue of both the song and the album that leaves you asphyxiating in the depth of the sea in search for your dreams..

Concluding, "Evernight" is a beautiful piece of atmospheric metal generally speaking, an album that will accompany you in a world of fantasy and bittersweet beauty for a long time

"Buy your own dreams, beneath the waves..."

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 8
Production: 8

Written on 01.03.2007 by "It is myself I have never met, whose face is pasted on the underside of my mind."

Comments

Comments: 9   Visited by: 106 users
01.03.2007 - 04:43
Rating: 8
Jason W.
Razorbliss
Really, you make me want to listen to this CD again, after reading your review... It's beautifully written I have to say, though, that "Sword's Song" is a classic album to me, and this disc just has not measured up yet for me... It certainly has a very even approach, and therefore flows better than anything they've released. I just found little interest in the songs themselves.. To me, songs like "War of Wrath" from Swords Song made this band unique and grand, but there is nothing on this CD that's caught my attention yet. But, I will give it another try...
----
"After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." - Aldous Huxley
01.03.2007 - 06:39
Dark Cornatus
Powerslave
Well i guess i have a third opinion, because mine varies from both of yours.

My favourite album is 'Where The Shadows Lie', its superior in every way to any other album. Ill admit ive only heard selected songs of the new album, they sounded ok, but i just dont like the new vocalist, Patrick sounded more like an.... orc and was better. 'Third age Of The Sun' is another that you find some songs are good some not, the vocals from the new guy are just hard to interpret, Patrick was quite clear with words..

Ill still buy this album soon, it doesnt sound all that bad, and i need to complete my collection hehe.
01.03.2007 - 14:25
Asitis

Hmm. Guess I should listen to it. I got the promo a few weeks ago (along with some others) and the title "Epic Fantasy Metal" didnt really appeal to me :')
----
The silent moment, right before the dusk fades away
I open my eyes, but the darkness stays
04.03.2007 - 13:50
Carrion
Account deleted
Written by Asitis on 01.03.2007 at 14:25

Hmm. Guess I should listen to it. I got the promo a few weeks ago (along with some others) and the title "Epic Fantasy Metal" didnt really appeal to me :')

Yeah well the "Epic Fantasy Metal" just shows how smart record companies may be.
04.03.2007 - 20:16
IronWinter

I'll have to say I agree with you on how when i first listened to this band i didn't really like them overly that much, however I got given a copy of 'Third Age of The Sun' and gave it a spin, ended up really liking the band lol >_<
So now iv been looking forward to this album I'm glad it got a good review
16.03.2007 - 20:04
Rating: 9
Susan
Smeghead
I've been meaning to check out this band for a while and after reading your review I decided that the time has come! This album just came yesterday and I've gotta say it's amazing! They captured the darker atmosphere perfectly and created a beautiful and addictive sound. I see what you mean when you say the folk elements are "hidden" beneath the powerful guitar riffing and rhythm section. This combined with the floating clean vocals create a certain magic that's rare to hear.

I wasn't as thrilled with the grunted vocals - just that they didn't seem to be mixed very well at times and stand out unpleasantly during some songs. That's the only minor drawback. I am so enjoying how lovely and intense this music is; not intense to the point of draining you emotionally, though. It's great

Thanks for writing this Rozz! After this album sinks in I'll be checking out their back catalogue.
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
24.04.2007 - 03:27
A Kat Person
Account deleted
I agree Lyrinan, I like the music but I'm not crazy about the grunted vocals. I usually like deathvox a lot *if they are done well* (which for me means growls like those of Amon Amarth or Amorphis) but this guy's vocals sound forced and at times overwhelm the music. I feel the same way about the previous album, Third Age of the Sun... overall a great album but somewhat annoying growls...
09.12.2008 - 19:05
Valentin B
Iconoclast
The cover art is pretty obvious, they're sailing on the Anduin just before the falls like in the finale of Fellowship of The Ring
08.01.2011 - 18:34
charliedominici

Why is it that when I see this CD for sale in many places on the internet it says "Charlie Dominici" ? If you see this somewhere please tell them I have nothing to do with this CD.
Charlie Dominici

Hits total: 8297 | This month: 6