Style: Heavy metal
Release date: 1987

01. На Службе Силы Зла
02. Герой Асфальта
03. Мёртвая Зона
04. 1100
05. Улица Роз
06. Баллада О Древнерусском Воине

Many Westerners refer to Aria as "the Russian Iron Maiden" - either in honor of their patriarchal relationship to the Russian metal scene, or as a derisive commentary on their stylistic similarities. While the Maiden influence cannot be discounted, this latter usage unfairly marginalizes one of the brightest stars in the entire Eastern European metal scene. Aria have demonstrated countless times their songwriting prowess and accomplished musicianship, but perhaps no album better represents this pillar of Iron Curtain metal than 1987's Герой Асфальта.

Герой Асфальта introduced to Aria drummer Maxim Udalov and guitarist Sergei Mavrin, who would go on to become a powerhouse in his own right, but most important was the addition of bassist Vitaly Dubinin. Alik Granovsky had left some big shoes to fill, especially after his technical and astute performance on С Кем Ты?, but Dubinin proved more than capable of taking over the role, and has remained a core member of Aria ever since. With the line-up rounded out by golden-voiced Valery Kipelov and guitar maestro Vladimir Holstinin, Aria's stalwart roster had the power and talent to unleash their masterpiece.

As the operatic intro fades out to the sounds of an air raid, "На Службе Силы Зла" pounces and properly opens the album with a punishing, driving riff that soon explodes into a festival of pummeling alacrity and melody. Whether accelerating through lively battle cries, trudging through mists of off-kilter progressions, or marching along in a lock-step strut, Герой Асфальта relentlessly pursues the ultimate goal of true metal classicism. Aria's impeccable knack for conjuring up bold and fruitful melodies crushes all accusations of plagiarism or repetition as Kipelov's soaring voice takes them to greater and greater heights. Holstinin's and Mavrin's exceptional guitar work drives the album with powerful, complex, and memorable riffs that set them apart as a formidable duo.

"Улица Роз" is one of those adamantly perfect pieces of music that surfaces on very rare occasions; any band that can capture such true sonic wisdom should count itself lucky. From Dubinin's precision bass work to Kipelov's desperate delivery, the song encapsulates the coming together of so many indomitable elements into one glorious work. The whole band locks into a groove that persists until the moribund chimes of "Баллада О Древнерусском Воине" signal the album's final track.

More mature and original than its predecessors, more compact and enrapturing than its successors, Герой Асфальта proved Aria's capabilities with even greater force and passion than anything they had yet released. It still remains their crowning achievement, and a true treasure unfortunately lost to so many because of the language, cultural, and political barriers.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 10
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 8
Production: 7

Written on 13.06.2015 by I'm the reviewer, and that means my opinion is correct.

Guest review by
heavy_hr
Rating:
Not too well-known in the west, Aria is enjoying only a shade of popularity outside of their homeland. They have often been called "Russian Iron Maiden" for their quite similar yet distinctive style. In the last few years, as the world becomes smaller, things hopefully start to change and generally the music is much easier to obtain. Heroy Asfalta (Hero of the Asphalt) was their first release which came into my hands, still remaining about the best.

Read more ››
published 29.05.2007 | Comments (3)

Comments

Comments: 3   Visited by: 58 users
13.06.2015 - 16:35
Rating: 9
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
A true heavy metal classic. Agree with the review for the most part, but I guess I would point out the first and second tracks as the strongest, most original, and deliciously frantic on the album.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
26.07.2015 - 18:08
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
How was it for ammerican dude listen album in Russian?
Try old Black Obelisk aka Cerby Obelisk something ask Ivor spelling, also Russian HM band

Stena (wall)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSXMLTt_lq0

Polnoc (midnight)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pdz5ucPmr7c
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
06.08.2015 - 06:20
Rating: 9
ScreamingSteelUS
Editor-in-Chief
admin
Written by Bad English on 26.07.2015 at 18:08

How was it for ammerican dude listen album in Russian?
Try old Black Obelisk aka Cerby Obelisk something ask Ivor spelling, also Russian HM band

Stena (wall)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSXMLTt_lq0

Polnoc (midnight)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pdz5ucPmr7c

I stumbled upon them thanks to The SLoT, who covered "Улица Роз" pretty fantastically. After that it was a short jump to becoming a big Aria fan. I've listened to some Black Obelisk from time to time, and I enjoy them, although not to the same degree.
----
"Earth is small and I hate it" - Lum Invader

I'm the Agent of Steel.

Hits total: 2867 | This month: 13