Metal Storm logo
Bands that write orchestration on their own

15.06.2015 - 14:50
Ziom

Hi,

It seems that full blown orchestra is present more than ever in metal. I - in my thirties already - remember what awe synthetic violins created on Dimmu Birgir's Enthrone Darkness Triumphant. Right now it seems, that even small bands can afford a guy (paid for by the label) to write an interlude or some arrangements.

However, the question is: which bands write orchestral lines THEMSELVES. This doesn't mean giving a professional "a this should go like this", but writing actual goddamn notes for violins etc.

The point is, with all this orchestral onslaught, it begins to sound fake. Sometimes I feel there's little actual songwriting behind the orchestra. Bands don't feel like bands anymore. So help me find those honest ones. The condition is this, that the orchestra, violins and such instruments are composed by a regular band member(s).

I know of:

- Therion (100% confirmed, Christopher Johnsson writes everything)
- Haggard
- Rhapsody of Fire (I'm not really sure about this one, they use electronics extensively)

Any others?
16.06.2015 - 15:22
Risto
Wandering Midget
Apparently Wilderun write their orchestral parts by themselves, I think one of their members is somewhat educated on the matter. Not sure how much of it is an actual orchestra though.
18.07.2015 - 00:44
Achilles'_Rage

There's a relatively unknown act from Chicago called Mechina. Seeing how they're unsigned I think it's safe to assume they write their own orchestration. They might not be what your looking for since they use synth orchestration and are going for an outer spacey sort of feel. Still a great band though, I highly recommend them.
18.07.2015 - 08:30
Tryss

Written by Guest on 15.06.2015 at 18:07

Not sure but maybe, Septicflesh fits the criteria?

Indeed, they compose themself the orchestral parts, and, in my opinion, it's tastefully done. I wish one day they will perform live with an orchestra, but their stance on the subject is "Either we do it really well, or not."
18.07.2015 - 11:11
Wiseman's Fear

Kamelot also write the orchestrations on their own since Oliver joined. Haggard also comes to my mind as well as Epica. I'm not sure but I think Aesma Daeva also wrote the orchestrations on their own.
17.08.2015 - 14:16
Alex_Ython

Written by Ziom on 15.06.2015 at 14:50

- Rhapsody of Fire (I'm not really sure about this one, they use electronics extensively)

When the band was under Magic Circle Music's wings, the band did use an actual symphonic orchestra: their Symphony of Enchanted Lands, Pt. 2 - The Dark Secret bulks with it.

Luca Turilli's Rhapsody's latest release, Prometheus - Symphonia Ignis Divinis, uses electronics mostly but other than that all the lines are composed by Turilli.

Arkona also used an orchestra on their previous album, Slovo. I don't know if they actually wrote the orchestrations though.

Skálmöld once performed with an orchestra. They did not write the orchestrations themselves but they acted more as supervisors. Don't know if this counts, but it sounds pretty cool anyway.

An example of Rhapsody using a real orchestra.

Arkona - Zakliate (Slovo)

Skálmöld - Kvaðning
18.08.2015 - 14:06
Ziom

Written by Alex_Ython on 17.08.2015 at 14:16

Written by Ziom on 15.06.2015 at 14:50

When the band was under Magic Circle Music's wings, the band did use an actual symphonic orchestra: their Symphony of Enchanted Lands, Pt. 2 - The Dark Secret bulks with it.

(...)

So, orchestrations on their earlier albums were sampled? All done with electronics? Composed by a hired writor or Turilli or Strapoli?
They sound very good on some songs and can be distinguished easily from keyboards. Check "Eternal Glory".

OK, it says on Wikipedia that Turilli/Strapoli wrote orchestra lines. They probably did only little arrangements to save costs. Pity, as Dimmu Borgir can afford so much more.
18.08.2015 - 15:19
Alex_Ython

I don't know exactly about the first albums, but I do know for sure about The Dark Secret.
20.01.2017 - 01:29
kazohin

Respect to the band Haggard. Shame on Haggard Shop, who took my money, sent my item to a wrong address (I have proof) and no response. It's 2 months now. And as I read in forums I'm not the only one with that.

Never order from haggard.shop.de, get it somewhere else.