03. Wading Through Existence
04. Prescription Paradise
05. Coathanger Abortion
06. The Possession
07. Audra Sleeps
08. Forget The Past
09. Hypocritical Majority
10. Detained Indefinitely

This is a review for Coathanger Abortion, and it felt exactly like one.

Okay perhaps not exactly - you know me, I like my hyperboles.

I'm pretty sure the cover and name have given you more than just a hint towards the breed of metal we're dealing with. To be more specific than the stereotypes, Coathanger Abortion plays a kind of traditional mid-tempo brutal death metal that wouldn't have sounded anachronistic if it were released at the end of the '90s, maybe early '00s.

And to be honest, it feels as if some pieces from the album were actually recorded around that time and thrown in with newer songs. The first thing that struck me was the inconsistent quality of sound in this record. A couple of tracks in the first half sound as if they had been put there to test the patience and fidelity of the listeners. Yes, I am looking at you, "Suffering The Weak" and "Wading Though Existence" in particular, be ashamed. Half-menacing repetitive tracks with shy drums, a bass too loud in the mix - yes you heard me, "too" - and the most monotonous vocal work possible for the genre. What an embarrassing welcoming committee.

Thankfully, the real Coathanger Abortion reveals itself with "Prescription Paradise". The balance in the mix is re-established, the a-bit-muddy-but-not-on-purpose production clears up a little, and the tracks just start bringing it ON. Even the technical level of the instrumentation is raised, and reaches its height with the excellent ending to "Forget The Past". By the end of the emotional mini-rollercoaster that this sophomore release has become, one could even be found slightly head-bobbing to the successive deluge of methodical violence.

Unfortunately, Observations Of Humanity inevitably suffers from its lack of new ideas, even if I can't blame brutal death for being brutal death. It shows even in the structure of the opus, as once again we have the usual funny/gory/declamatory movie sample setting the tone for most of the songs. Just as you guessed, without fail, we were also blessed with a completely useless and out of place acoustic interlude.

I'll now proceed to close this review with the mandatory apologetic and overly long sentence that tries to underline and inflate the few qualities of the album, even if I know I'm not very convincing: "it's kinda good, but still kinda meh".

Rating breakdown
Performance: 7
Songwriting: 5
Originality: 3
Production: 5

Written by Ilham | 16.06.2015

Comments

Comments: 9   Visited by: 161 users
16.06.2015 - 13:37
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Yay, new review
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?
16.06.2015 - 16:10
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Was this album released by I Coathanger Records? =]
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
16.06.2015 - 22:59
Rating: 5
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by RaduP on 16.06.2015 at 13:37

Yay, new review

You're too nice .

Written by Karlabos on 16.06.2015 at 16:10

Was this album released by I Coathanger Records? =]

Haha, now that's something I didn't think of.
17.06.2015 - 12:08
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by deadone on 17.06.2015 at 02:06

Always good to read an Ilham review!

Always a pleasure to have feedback like this .
19.06.2015 - 07:29
ScreamingSteelUS
Editor-in-Chief
I love your hyperboles, Battle of Przemyślham. Of course I had to investigate anyway because of the name alone, but it's about as boring as you describe.
----
"Earth is small and I hate it" - Lum Invader

I'm the Agent of Steel.
20.06.2015 - 22:12
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by ScreamingSteelUS on 19.06.2015 at 07:29

I love your hyperboles, Battle of Przemyślham. Of course I had to investigate anyway because of the name alone, but it's about as boring as you describe.

Haha. You never fail to crack me up now. Gotta love reverse psychology! Good to know we think alike.
24.06.2015 - 21:42
Lonniehaskel

For the sake of clarity, most of these songs were written in the early 2000s. There was a lot of static on the back end that prevented this album from coming out years ago.

Having said that, while it is typical gore-grind death metal, these guys put on a killer live show. We're all from Chattanooga, and I've gotten to watch them play for the past 15 years.
25.06.2015 - 12:28
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by Lonniehaskel on 24.06.2015 at 21:42

For the sake of clarity, most of these songs were written in the early 2000s. There was a lot of static on the back end that prevented this album from coming out years ago.

Good to know my instincts weren't wrong.

Written by deadone on 25.06.2015 at 04:54

Just cause they were written/recorded in the early 2000s doesn't mean it has to sound bad or be generic music.

I knew guys who recorded pretty decent sounding rock stuff on 4 track recorders in home "studios". And even with average computer tech of the day you could get a decent sound in home studios as well, though recording drums was a bitch if you had to mike them the old fashioned way (I was involved in recording in 2004-05 as part of the label I was partner in).

Totally agree. Of course, that's not what I meant in the review, I just used it like a sarcastic transition to explain how different some tracks sounded compared to others. I didn't think it would actually be true.
02.07.2015 - 15:37
Belegûr
Arise In Might!
"This is a review for Coathanger Abortion, and it felt exactly like one."

Gold

Hits total: 3408 | This month: 11