Jon Phipps - orchestration
Chrigel Glanzmann - flutes, whistles

Guest musicians
Aleah Liane Stanbridge - vocals
Jens Bogren - vocals
Martin Lopez - percussion
André Alvinzi - keyboards

Additional info
Produced by Jens Bogren at Fascination Street Studios.
Released by Nuclear Blast.

Staff review by
Dream Taster
Rating:
Amorphis is one of the sure values coming out of Finland. Everybody knows (or should know) their early history as a melodic death band. 1994's Tales From The Thousand Lakes remains to this day a classic album. These musicians have been together over 10 years with their current lineup. Emblematic singer Tomi Joutsen was the last piece of the puzzle that led them to a trailblazing second career that started in 2005 with the release of Eclipse. Let's fast forward to 2015. Under The Red Cloud, with that eye-catching psychedelic artwork, is their 12th studio release expected September 4th through Nuclear Blast.

Read more ››
published 28.08.2015 | Comments (13)

Found in 104 lists
Top lists

Comments page 2 / 5

Comments: 122   Visited by: 2383 users
08.09.2015 - 00:06
Rating: 9
Poat
Mmmm yea it's heavy. Overall I'd say it's heavy.
Heavy Score: 6 out of 10

For ranking system see: Poat's Heavy Ranking System
08.09.2015 - 01:17
Rating: 10
jfAkerfeldt
The Iron Maiden Fan boys are attacking are achieving lower average jejejeje
08.09.2015 - 03:31
Rating: 7
iMorphball
Seeing good scores for this, checked it out. Can't really get into it, though. I'll keep going, maybe it'll hit me at some point.

It's definitely not bad by any means though. I can understand how the ratings are so high.
08.09.2015 - 08:44
PocketMetal
This is indeed the definition of quality.
08.09.2015 - 17:09
Lethrokai
Written by Guest on 05.09.2015 at 13:28

Funny how all 3 users who gave this album a 1 have only rated 1 other album in 2015... you guessed it.. Iron Maiden. Now guess what rating they gave that? lelelelelel

Vote abusers will vote abuse, unfortunately.
----
Sometimes you just need to roll the dice and look away.
08.09.2015 - 20:06
Pikemaster
The album cover reminds me much of the painting of Akseli Gallen-Kallela
----
"Soon its tail raises the mud
The beast is ready for attack
The reel screams the line beings to run
And the struggle shall begin"
09.09.2015 - 08:34
Doge of Venice
I'm curious. With the exception of a few people who haven't put ratings down, there hasn't been any negative or average scorers who have commented. I'd be curious as to their opinion on the album.

I must admit though, I am enjoying this album.
09.09.2015 - 18:07
This is a bomb. This album proved all "fans" of Amorphis, that Tomi Joutsen is the right guy to be singing in this band. After the 6-streak "gay" (as haters say, i love every single album of Amorphis) albums, they proved that melodeath Amorphis is back. I love the melodic metal Amorphis and this kinda Progressive MeloDeath predominance in Under The Red Cloud. The Album starts with 3 killer songs, awesome riffs, agressive vocals, excellent folk lines, awesome chemistry, the album is a masterpiece. They changed, for better. I'm sad that faggots still try to lower UTRC rating so that Iron Maiden can reach top1 2015 in MetalStorm.net, but the reality is that Iron Maiden has a killer album too, but, IMO, Dickinson has reached is limit in vocals. This album vocals are weakning, Iron Maiden is shooting its last bullets. As a big fan of the two bands, I'm sure and convinced to say: Amorphis done the best album in 2015. It's simply perfect!!
09.09.2015 - 20:37
Lit.
Account deleted
^Homophobia levels are critical.
09.09.2015 - 23:14
musclassia
staff
^Yeah, not particularly pleasant language.

Back onto the album, I've listened to it several times since it first came out I really am fully won over by it. The singles they released were already rather good, but shockingly turned out to be among the less strong songs on the album IMO, due to the sheer consistent quality throughout. Tree Of Ages is a clear early favourite, with that super-bouncy main melody, but I really dig the title track, The Skull, Dark Path and White Night a whole lot as well. Also, the bonus track Come The Spring is really good and could easily have made the album, although I can see why Winter's Sleep was left as an extra, even if I do still like it.
10.09.2015 - 16:11
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I was listening it, I think it would be better if he would sing clean, make emotions work better, because otherwise it don't work, to many bands and make good album is harder....

Sacrifice only north men will understand what lyrics is about , what kind a treasures really he bought. Before super market, before anything, what ppl ate in winter...
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
11.09.2015 - 15:06
Sword_Chant
6 people voted 1 on this, wtf? I'd be interested to hear a rationale as to what they don't like, I can't find anything bad about this album, and i'm not a regular Amorphis listener.
11.09.2015 - 22:26
nikosleo
Mindblowing album. Been waiting since Circle and I was surprised positively. It is a very effective effort combined the folk-y pre-Eclipse Era with the aggressiveness and contemporary Amorphis-heaviness of the pro-Eclipse Era.
12.09.2015 - 07:13
hadriel
I was a bit underwhelmed by the past two albums, so I didn't really know what to expect coming into this release. This was a nice surprise, right up there with Skyforger for me. Wish they would experiment a tad more than they do, but the formulaic approach to their music is clearly still working and creating enough diversity that the album manages flows without ever stagnating.
12.09.2015 - 17:51
Sword_Chant
Written by Guest on 11.09.2015 at 15:11

Written by Sword_Chant on 11.09.2015 at 15:06

6 people voted 1 on this, wtf? I'd be interested to hear a rationale as to what they don't like, I can't find anything bad about this album, and i'm not a regular Amorphis listener.

How else is Iron Maiden gonna stay on top of 2015? But srsly half of them are obvious abusers so expect a nuke soon.

It happened for most of last year too, people giving everything except the new Insomnium album a 1/10. If the new Iron Maiden was awesome I wouldn't be as fussy, however I found the new Iron Maiden pretty average to the albums that gave them a big name in metal. On the other hand, this album sincerely deserves all the recognition it gets.
12.09.2015 - 18:28
Rating: 8
Nicko's Nose
So is anyone ever gonna do something about the 1 ratings by Iron Maiden fanboys who didn't even listen to the album?
12.09.2015 - 21:58
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by deadone on 11.09.2015 at 02:32

I think the growl vox sound good. Needs more of them actually and replace the clean singing with thrash style vox ala Martin Walkyier out of Sabbat/Skyclad.

not into this one
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
13.09.2015 - 04:18
Dark Forever
Ruído Sonoro
Written by Nicko's Nose on 12.09.2015 at 18:28

So is anyone ever gonna do something about the 1 ratings by Iron Maiden fanboys who didn't even listen to the album?

FanboyS you say? Most of them are clearly the same guy with multiple accounts, in all of them with Iron Maiden and Steve Harris as favourite bands
----
Taste the DARK...
... and you'll live FOREVER!
15.09.2015 - 16:03
moe5512
Probably Mr. Harris himself
15.09.2015 - 18:14
Reaper_Redeemer
I believe everyone is pleased with the new album. It is a rare phenomenon a band with so many releases to keep such a quality in the late albums. The best tracks here are:
"Dark path": album's best, no words, just perfect
"Tree of Ages": quality amorphuvitie
"Death of a King": great progressive percussion, a masterpiece speaking in 2015 - features worked great
"bad blood": some simple riffing and headbanging - esa did great
"white night: dat intro !!!! - dat female voice !!!!
"come the spring": intro is well structured, nice melodies over this (bonus) track

Amorphis are alive... and kicking!
15.09.2015 - 21:44
woodsmoke666
Agree about the 1 ratings, 6 already and 5 against the new paradise lost. Needs to be a way to deal with this!
----
tokoloshe
17.09.2015 - 00:24
Rating: 6
God Alone
Nothing special for me, and waaay too similar to any other album they've released since Eclipse. Nice enough for an occasional listen (can't endure more than 3-4 songs at a time) and that's it.
17.09.2015 - 05:19
Rating: 7
iMorphball
Just finished my second spin. Can't really get into it, but it's definitely not a bad album.
17.09.2015 - 17:08
Wukk
It's opening itself up to me on each listen. Enemy at the Gates is an unexpected standout track.

Written by Reaper_Redeemer on 15.09.2015 at 18:14
"white night: dat intro !!!! - dat female voice !!!!

Enjoy.
----
If you're 666 then I'm 777
http://www.last.fm/user/Joodicator
19.09.2015 - 04:31
sszaim
Went through the album once, it is petty gud, tree of ages and dark path really stood up. Overall, i really liked the guitarwork. Really nice to see a band who has been in the scene for so long staying so relevant. Rating : 8.5 (since there is no decimal rating, i rounded it up to 9 simply coz its just really nice to listen and worth every min)
19.09.2015 - 21:43
Nicko's Nose
Top 200, that's a bit extreme...
19.09.2015 - 22:35
Risto
Wandering Midget
Written by Nicko's Nose on 19.09.2015 at 21:43

It's about time for that list to get some sustained new blood, actually. Axioma Ethica Odini is the last one, and that was released 5 years ago. The general quality of metal music hasn't really got that much worse if you ask me.

UtRC differs from other recent Top 200 entries in that it actually climbed there after reaching the required 200 votes, instead of first having an absurdly high rating.
20.09.2015 - 14:12
Pikemaster
Written by Risto on 19.09.2015 at 22:35

Written by Nicko's Nose on 19.09.2015 at 21:43

It's about time for that list to get some sustained new blood, actually. Axioma Ethica Odini is the last one, and that was released 5 years ago. The general quality of metal music hasn't really got that much worse if you ask me.

UtRC differs from other recent Top 200 entries in that it actually climbed there after reaching the required 200 votes, instead of first having an absurdly high rating.

I'm also curious why the rating is going higher now.
----
"Soon its tail raises the mud
The beast is ready for attack
The reel screams the line beings to run
And the struggle shall begin"
20.09.2015 - 18:25
elven
Written by Sword_Chant on 12.09.2015 at 17:51

Written by Guest on 11.09.2015 at 15:11

Written by Sword_Chant on 11.09.2015 at 15:06

How else is Iron Maiden gonna stay on top of 2015? But srsly half of them are obvious abusers so expect a nuke soon.

It happened for most of last year too, people giving everything except the new Insomnium album a 1/10. If the new Iron Maiden was awesome I wouldn't be as fussy, however I found the new Iron Maiden pretty average to the albums that gave them a big name in metal. On the other hand, this album sincerely deserves all the recognition it gets.

they gave that 1 out of 10 score probably because 1994 was more than 20 years ago, but they are still expecting Thousand Lakes Vol2
22.09.2015 - 02:16
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
I always do this when it comes to a release from one of my favourite bands. For the first couple of plays I try to remain detached to avoid disappointment. Having given this a few more spins I've really come to love this album. Impeccable melodic taste, brilliant groove, and Tomi Joutsen shines here like never before.

Hits total: 54033 | This month: 131