04. The Man Of Sorrows
05. Empire Of The Clouds

Featured in "Getting Into: Iron Maiden"

Additional info
Produced and mixed by Kevin Shirley.
Co-produced by Steve Harris.
Engineered by Denis Caribaux.
Mastered by Ade Emsley.

Cover art and photography by Mark Wilkinson, Stuart Crouch, Anthony Dry, Julie Wilkinson, Simon Martin, Jorge Letona and John McMurtrie.

Staff review by
D.T. Metal
Rating:
The cat is out of the bag - Iron Maiden dropped their 16th Studio Album today. Opus - such an overused word, and while other bands affectionately call their latest effort just that, the Brits literally delivered one with The Book Of Souls.

Read more ››
published 04.09.2015 | Comments (61)

Guest review by
tominator
Rating:
After The Final Frontier we had to wait five years for this album. But does The Book Of Souls deliver a great experience?

Read more ››
published 03.01.2017 | Comments (9)

Found in 89 lists
Top lists

Comments page 3 / 6

Comments: 177   Visited by: 2038 users
04.09.2015 - 19:39
Hex_Omega
Gem Seeker
Written by Ellinor on 04.09.2015 at 19:24

TRATB is already a classic IMHO.

The Red And The Black? Everything is good till 8:00. After that solos there should be a chorus and song should end around 8:40. It should be 5 minutes shorter.
04.09.2015 - 19:41
Rating: 8
Ellinor
Written by Hex_Omega on 04.09.2015 at 19:39

Written by Ellinor on 04.09.2015 at 19:24

TRATB is already a classic IMHO.

The Red And The Black? Everything is good till 8:00. After that solos there should be a chorus and song should end around 8:40. It should be 5 minutes shorter.

Most of the songs should be shorter.
04.09.2015 - 19:44
jfAkerfeldt
At times it becomes boring, but its composition is sensational! great album
04.09.2015 - 20:15
paragraph7
The album generally lacks an uplifting moment, something to pull you up to heaven from your daily chores a lá Afraid To Shoot Strangers, rather than simply remaining the soundtrack for your daily life. There's flashes of great ideas throughout the album and the opener and Empire are great songs, but it still lacks that special Maiden song that everyone yearns to hear live.
04.09.2015 - 20:15
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite
Written by deadone on 04.09.2015 at 17:34

Given Aztec/Mayan theme they should've listened to Brujeria and Sarcofago and watched Apocalypto for inspiration!

If you bought am original copy, you'd know that they did watch Apocalypto.
04.09.2015 - 21:30
Nicko's Nose
As usual, there has to be that one guy who gives an album he hasn't listened to 1/10 so it won't top his favorite albums of the year.
04.09.2015 - 21:37
Hex_Omega
Gem Seeker
Written by Nicko's Nose on 04.09.2015 at 21:30

As usual, there has to be that one guy who gives an album he hasn't listened to 1/10 so it won't top his favorite albums of the year.

Look at his votes, he is a troll. Gonna report him.
04.09.2015 - 22:12
Rating: 10
mp5maker
This album is so incredible! One after another great tracks! The recording process is legit beautiful, it has the raw tones and the songs has lot of emotions in it. This emotions seems to be lacking in most of the newer bands due to overuse use of plugins in DAW.

This album makes the end statement about what they are popular for "Their identity."
04.09.2015 - 22:30
Hex_Omega
Gem Seeker
With one thing I must agree - this might be Bruce best performance since Brave New World. He sounds really damn good.
05.09.2015 - 02:26
SoUnDs LiKe PoP
117 ratings and an 8.7... seriously?

Damn, the fanboy-ism is unreal. And trust me, I'm far from a metal elitist. But seriously...
----
I lift weights and listen to metal
05.09.2015 - 03:10
Rating: 6
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by Guest on 04.09.2015 at 20:28

I've been listening to Empire Of The Clouds all day. Man, that's what I call music!

Easily the best song on there. Not really liking most of the others, though. I'd probably call this the worst of the 6 piece lineup.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
05.09.2015 - 03:32
Rating: 7
iMorphball
Written by SoUnDs LiKe PoP on 05.09.2015 at 02:26

117 reviews and an 8.7... seriously?

Damn, the fanboy-ism is unreal. And trust me, I'm far from a metal elitist. But seriously...

Maybe people like the album..?
05.09.2015 - 06:29
Sepulnation
Written by Guest on 04.09.2015 at 04:16

One of the best albums I've ever heard. Great masterpiece.

Agree... I enjoyed it from beginning to the end...
----
fuck shit up!
05.09.2015 - 06:34
SoUnDs LiKe PoP
Written by iMorphball on 05.09.2015 at 03:32

Written by SoUnDs LiKe PoP on 05.09.2015 at 02:26

117 reviews and an 8.7... seriously?

Maybe people like the album..?

If this album had been made by a band not named Iron Maiden, it would not be #2 on the MS charts this month. Whatever. Doesn't really bother me that much, and I don't dislike Maiden by any means.
----
I lift weights and listen to metal
05.09.2015 - 13:14
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Guest on 05.09.2015 at 03:47

AND, if the fanboy-ism is so unreal, why does TFF have such a low rating?

7.4 a low rating? That means that people find it to be between a good and a very good album.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

05.09.2015 - 14:11
Rating: 9
joshsteph
I can't stop listening to The Red and the Black. It's epic, and wonderful and just....holy shit. First song in a while to give me goosebumps.
05.09.2015 - 15:06
raveneffect
I really need to listen to it at least another 50 times but my thoughts right now are that this is one of the best Iron Maiden albums and it goes head to head against some of the 80's classics. Riffs are great, lots of "sing-a-riff" moments that Iron Maiden got us all used to, that galloping drum style from Nicko, the awesome lyrics, everything pieces together really well and results in an amazing experience.

Unlike Brave New World or A Matter of Life and Death, I didnt disliked this one at the very first listen, on the contrary. And, considering they've written a 90+ minutes double disk album with Bruce going through Cancer and Steve handling the Death of two very dear friends, its staggering how they managed to give us something so tight.
05.09.2015 - 18:13
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
For a laugh I tried about 45 minutes of it (just threw the Youtube rip on in the background). Think it's safe to say as a non-Maiden fan I am not converted. Some of the most unmemorable, plodding and flat music I've heard this year. I don't remember a single note of it. Not a single smegging riff.

Also, is it just the Youtube quality or does Dickinson sound really strained here? He sounds bored at any rate.
05.09.2015 - 18:36
The Galactician
Only listened to the record once but it was super enjoyable and definitely a step up from a songwriting perspective. As others have said this is their best work since Brave New World.

I'm a little surprised nobody else has mentioned this, but the only bummer for me (and it's been a trend that really became apparent on Final Frontier) is that Bruce's voice just isn't what it once was. Everyone gets older and I don't expect him to him belt it out like he did in the '80s, but I found the performance distracting at times. I know he's doing his best (and after a few listens I'll notice less), but there are a lot of high notes where it sounds like he's straining really hard to get there.

Anyway, it's a nitpick. Nice to see a lifelong favorite releasing such a strong album. Up the irons!

EDIT: Well I guess I'm not the only person to mention Bruce's voice. Looks like !J.O.O.E.! and I were writing simultaneously. Obviously my take on the rest of the record is a bit different.
05.09.2015 - 18:42
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Yeah, I was wondering what was going on there
05.09.2015 - 18:55
Hex_Omega
Gem Seeker
Written by Guest on 05.09.2015 at 18:13

For a laugh I tried about 45 minutes of it (just threw the Youtube rip on in the background). Think it's safe to say as a non-Maiden fan I am not converted. Some of the most unmemorable, plodding and flat music I've heard this year. I don't remember a single note of it. Not a single smegging riff.

Also, is it just the Youtube quality or does Dickinson sound really strained here? He sounds bored at any rate.

If you are talking about this

This version is crap. Far away from HD and the real quality.
05.09.2015 - 19:25
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Hex_Omega on 05.09.2015 at 18:55

If you are talking about this

This version is crap. Far away from HD and the real quality.

Yeah that's the one. Tbh though I doubt better sound would make me like it any more. The riffs would still be the same. I did take me about 10 minutes though to realise that Youtube video had to be sped up for it to sound normal. It didn't sound much better though. I think Iron Maiden to me are just anti-music anyway. The only songs I ever liked by Maiden were the ones people tended to hate.

Written by Guest on 05.09.2015 at 18:56

wow h8er

r8 the h8, m8.
05.09.2015 - 20:15
musclassia
Staff
Well, it's always hard to fully judge such an over-the-top 'epic' album like this on first listen, and hopefully further listens will be more rewarding. However, whilst I'm very happy to keep re-listening to the new Amorphis to get to know the songs inside out, I don't really have the same appetite with this one. It's good enough - the instrumental parts are pretty enjoyable, particularly the (apparently divisive) extended section in The Red And Black, but the more 'song'-oriented tracks didn't really land any strong punches on me. The songs I was most won over by were the three 10+ minute ones - Empire Of The Clouds isn't perfect but is very impressive, their most ambitious effort lengthwise done at this stage of their career could've been disastrous but it works on the whole. And I agree that it seems quite clear that Bruce wasn't in best condition when recording this - it varies between songs but I really didn't think he sounded strong on at least the opening three songs. Not sure it's age as I really liked his vox on TFF, so it might just be throat cancer, but yeah not necessarily his best performance all round, albeit with very mitigating circumstances. I'm sure I'll like it more on future listens, but as it stands, I don't think it's my favourite 'reunion' album (which, if I had to state one right now, might honestly be TFF, or at least that's the one I'd have most appetite to listen to right now)

Edit: I did actually go back and listen to The Final Frontier, and it might actually be my current favourite 'reunion' album, so considering that's probably something like 1% of Maiden fans agree with maybe my thoughts on this might be taken with a pinch of salt
05.09.2015 - 22:53
Rating: 4
Druss
After first listen, wasn't sure at all about Disc 1 (apart from "The Red and the Black") but instantly loved Disc 2. After subsequent listens, definitely warming to more of the album as well (though "The Great Unknown" and "When the River Runs Deep" continue to be boring as hell for me), so that's a nice sign, for me their best album since BNW. The first two songs of Disc 1 sound very Dickinson soloish to me, but I'm warming to them as well.

Idk about "bored", but yeah, especially during Disc 1 it does sound very strained at bits. In fact, I couldn't help feeling during "The Red and the Black" that the guitar line supplementing his voice helps to make that song so killer for me. Time is definitely showing for Bruce, he isn't gonna matching the highs of "Hallowed Be Thy Name" anymore anytime soon I fear.
06.09.2015 - 00:42
Guib
Thrash Talker
I'm scared by what I've heard so far and the reviews... eh, I'll give it a try anyways as soon as I can but I have absolutely no expectations.
For me A matter and Final Frontier were cruel letdowns... hopefully this will be a bit better.
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
06.09.2015 - 05:45
iMorphball
Written by SoUnDs LiKe PoP on 05.09.2015 at 06:34

If this album had been made by a band not named Iron Maiden, it would not be #2 on the MS charts this month. Whatever. Doesn't really bother me that much, and I don't dislike Maiden by any means.

Don't get too head over heels about it, mate. A good album is a good album.
06.09.2015 - 13:33
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl

He recorded the album just before his throat cancer diagnosis, so that was probably affecting his voice, although he sounded similar on A Matter Of Life And Death.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
06.09.2015 - 19:59
iMorphball
Written by TheBeast666 on 06.09.2015 at 18:37

What's wrong with Iron Maiden they ran the force that does not sound like metal ... except only 4 songs, the rest are boring

Naaaaaa Why vote with 9/10 ? I can not understand.

What the fuck is wrong with people, man? When you like music, you like music. Don't fucking question it. Damn, is it hard to understand?
06.09.2015 - 21:40
Hex_Omega
Gem Seeker
Best IM albums since 2000 (IMO of course...):

Brave New World
A Matter Of Life And Death
The Final Frontier
The Book Of Souls
Dance Of Death

I was just listening to 'A Matter...' and guitars sound more powerful than on Book Of Souls. Production isn't the highlight of this album. About the 'epicness' well... 'For The Greater Good Of God' is much more epic to me than 'The Red And The Black'. 'Empire Of The Clouds' indeed is very cool, but I'm not blown away.
07.09.2015 - 00:13
rps
Written by iMorphball on 06.09.2015 at 19:59

Written by TheBeast666 on 06.09.2015 at 18:37

What's wrong with Iron Maiden they ran the force that does not sound like metal ... except only 4 songs, the rest are boring

Naaaaaa Why vote with 9/10 ? I can not understand.

What the fuck is wrong with people, man? When you like music, you like music. Don't fucking question it. Damn, is it hard to understand?

I agree with you 100 percent. How stupid can you get?

Hits total: 41913 | This month: 104