Metal Storm logo
Mono - Kino Siska, Ljubljana, Slovenia - 23.04.2015

Event: Mono: European Tour 2015
Written by: Abattoir
Published: 22.06.2015

My interest in checking out shows of bands hailing from sub-genres like experimental post-rock, instrumental post-metal (or similar in this vein) has been present more and more over recent years. So, of course, to attend a concert of Mono in our capital city was the right thing to do. The band was touring across Europe in support of their latest double-album release: The Last Dawn and Rays Of Darkness.

The venue was nicely filled, with around 250-300 people present. For me, just the right number to enjoy the show in the normal, enthusiastic conditions. The opening act for Mono on this tour was Chicago-based experimental cellist and composer Helen Money (aka Alison Chesley). As an experienced virtuoso, she creates some sort of an avant-garde folk/doom (metal) sound, combining calm classical vibes with explosively cataclysmic noisy parts. Even though I've seen Helen Money for the second time in the last two months (first time supporting Jarboe), she managed to pull out an exquisite solo performance, overlapped in a staggering dark atmosphere. And yes, she does mean business with her bow. Worthy of sincere applause. Well done.

Helen Money

Helen Money

Japanese masters of post-rock, Mono, were up next. I felt that the excitement was growing inside me, as I did expect a special, memorable performance from them. This was their third appearance on Slovenian grounds and my first attendance.

Mono

And so it began. Diverse mesmerizing sounds and floating echoes, from calm meandering melodies to ground-breaking, blasting parts. All these uneven sounds and much more entwined into one grand emotional mixture. They are for sure one of those, who can provide you this kind of an uplifting, passionate ambience. The band played some songs from their latest two albums, as well as some older stuff (setlist down below). Maybe I was a bit surprised they haven't played anything from the You Are There album, nonetheless I wasn't complaining much regarding the chosen setlist.

Complementing my pleasure while watching the band live is when you can see and feel the effort and the passion that every single member puts into their performance, when they live and breathe for those moments, together with the supporting crowd next to them.

Mono

Mono

Mono present themselves as very humble, passionate musicians, entirely dedicated to their work. With professionally executed and appealing performance, quality sound and blending harmonies, wrapped in one hour and a half long set, they have certainly achieved their purpose; to seduce and play with your mental state from the first till last beat. Undoubtedly a unique show, recommended to all post-rock sympathizers.

Mono

Mono

Setlist:

01. Recoil, Ignite (Rays Of Darkness)
02. Unseen Harbor (For My Parents)
03. Kanata (The Last Dawn)
04. Pure As Snow (Hymn To The Immortal Wind)
05. Halcyon (Beautiful Days) (Walking Cloud And Deep Red Sky, Flag Fluttered And The Sun Shined)
06. Where We Begin (The Last Dawn)
07. Ashes In The Snow (Hymn To The Immortal Wind)
08. Everlasting Light (Hymn To The Immortal Wind)

Written on 22.06.2015 by Attending all sorts of music events is my thing.

Comments

Comments: 2   Visited by: 38 users
22.06.2015 - 17:04
Darkside Momo
Retired
Seems interesting and promising for the upcoming tour they have with The Ocean and Solstafir...
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
22.06.2015 - 23:04
Stigmatized
I saw them awhile back. Their live performance is simply engrossing. You hit the nail on the head when you mentioned how passionate their show is.

Hits total: 4288 | This month: 9