Metal Storm logo
Neoclassical metal?

Original post

Posted by , 02.03.2007 - 18:53
Hello everyone,
I've seen in many posts the expression "neoclassical metal" being used. It did sound interesting, but I didn't find it in the list of MS genres.

So, let me ask you : what is neoclassical metal ?

Would we consider that some albums by Lacrimosa, like Echos, belong to neoclassical ?

What other bands/albums/songs would fit in this category ?
20.03.2007 - 00:09
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 19.03.2007 at 23:59

Written by Bad English on 19.03.2007 at 00:27

OK explanation Neo Nazisms, its same almouts like nazism was,, same idiolofy, same atributes but it calls Neo, because it was death

Same about neo-folk and neo whatewer
Wait, are you saying classical music is no longer composed?

Nop all music has comopsed I try to explain why it calls neo
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
20.03.2007 - 11:22
AuxKing

Best example I can come up with for neoclassical is Yngwie Malmsteen, but as for him being metal.. I guess so...
03.01.2008 - 19:34
Zarathustra19
Account deleted
This discussion got waaaay off topic somewhere along the road and made me want to register for these forums, so hello to all.

I think the most blatant example I can think of which is neo-classical metal is Apocalyptica, they compose their own music, but it's basically classical in origin. What we have to understand about the term neo-classical is that the term "classical" refers not to a specific type of music, but to music composed in a certain time period. It has simply become a blanket term for all music that is in its essence chamber music, concerto's, symphonies, etc. So, neo-classical simply means a revival of the styles which so called "classical" music had when it was originally composed. Neo-classical metal, therefore, is metal which includes elements of newly composed "classical" music. If it uses compositions written in the past by famous composers, then the song in question is merely a cover of another song. So playing old-era classical music is not Neo-classical at all.
03.01.2008 - 19:41
Warman
Erotic Stains
Isn't the latest Symphony X album a little neo-classical?
----
03.01.2008 - 20:53
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Warman on 03.01.2008 at 19:41

Noot realy maybe whit fiew elements but not 100%
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
03.01.2008 - 20:55
Warman
Erotic Stains
Written by Bad English on 03.01.2008 at 20:53

Written by Warman on 03.01.2008 at 19:41

Noot realy maybe whit fiew elements but not 100%

Yeah, that sounds reasonable.
----
05.01.2008 - 02:16
Vinnie R.
Chido Chido
Neoclassical could be like At Vance or Stratovarius that use many technique phrases in their instrumental lines that remember things like Bach or something more Baroque.
07.01.2008 - 18:16
Dominique
Account deleted
Die Verbannten Kinder Evas makes Neoclassical Music. I have got this group's an album. Come Heavy Sleep. I like Come Heavy Sleep, Dim Atmosphere, Sad Silent Home, The Past and Misery.
28.06.2008 - 20:15
Shinigamy
Account deleted
Written by Vinnie R. on 05.01.2008 at 02:16

Neoclassical could be like At Vance or Stratovarius that use many technique phrases in their instrumental lines that remember things like Bach or something more Baroque.

Yea you are totaly right. Stratovarius was the first power metal band that started using neo-classical influence. There are a lot of band's that use neo-classic influence(dark moor, labyrinth, time requiem, ring of fire...) a lot of good bands.
13.03.2010 - 03:01
Kallis Helmi
ManDaraBosS
Here are my all-time Top 10 european / melodic / neoclassical power metal albums => http://metalstorm.ee/users/list.php?list_id=83 - with a little description to each one.

OFF: I have a band called Mandara and I'm the keyboard player. Our style is very similar to these bands but I think it's unique at the same time. We are still recording our first 2 demos - planned to be released around May & August. The 1st one called "Meadow Of Dreams" contains 4 songs - Endless Night Momentary Dawn, Embrace My Dream, Hypocrite Reality and Holy Prophecy. I'll upload some stuff to myspace when we are ready - I hope you will enjoy my/our music!
Sorry for the adv!
----
"Now I'm leaving my worries behind
Feel the freedom of body and mind
I am starting my journey, I'm drifting away with the wind
I go"
15.03.2012 - 20:30
Infernal Eternal

Neo-classical metal is subgenre of metal which is influenced by classical music. The guitarists of these genre(Malmsteen,Gilbert) use shred.
----
{}::::::[]:::::::::::::::::> ONLY DEATH IS REAL <:::::::::::::::::[]::::::{}
Rest In Peace: Bon Scott, Dave G. Halliday, Michael "Destructor" Wulf, Jerry Fogle, Quorthon, Witchhunter
02.08.2012 - 12:43
Vacant Throne

Christian Neoclassical Metal anyone?

02.08.2012 - 19:31
882THKing

Luca Turilli's Rhapsody is a very recent example of neoclassical metal, I guess. Especially Turilli's guitar solo's.
----
Long hast thou dwelt in Darkness - Quit the Night and seek the Day.
02.08.2012 - 23:44
JÄY
Metal slave
Written by Vacant Throne on 02.08.2012 at 12:43

Christian Neoclassical Metal anyone?

Sup, Josh....intro was cool....