03. Snow Of '85
04. Rachel
05. Nightdriver
06. Because Of You, Tonight
07. Dopoguerra
08. La Tregua
09. Lomo
10. Sleepwalk In Rome

1918 was an significant year in the history of the world, Austrian painter Gustav Klimt died, the first world war ended and thus, the belle époque. It was a time of changes, a time of new directions, it was a time that Italian post-rock band Klimt 1918 take as a starting point as inspiration for their music.

Klimt 1918 is a band of all sorts, is a brew of all mixes and different styles, and I know you've heard this before with many bands, but seriously, the influences of the band range from eighties new wave bands to melancholic Doom Metal, all to create one of the most astonishing masterpieces I've heard in a while, Dopoguerra.

So, how does it sounds? Take one bowl and mix some Katatonia, U2, The Cure, Paradise Lost, Anathema, Tears For Fears, The Police and you'll begin to understand what's this band all about.

"Dopoguerra", means "postwar period" and the album succeeds in evoking these atmospheres from the first quarter of the century, from the opener where a radio announcements tells the end of the first world war to the enchanting melodies that reign in the album, you'll feel deeply sucked into their music.

Songs comes in all shapes and forms, from the evidently U2 inspired "Snow Of '85" to the emotive and simply amazing "Rachel" the band tries to stick those choruses into your head, but don't skip the lyrical content because is really something.
You'll enjoy slower acts like "Nightdriver" or the catchy "Because Of you Tonight", all songs are very different but with common influences to tie them, I could swear I was hearing Spanish act Heroes Del Silencio when the first accords of the title song "Dopoguerra" began playing, a touch of heaviness (and even some blastbeats) follows with "la Tregua".
To close the album, 2 more amazing songs, the heavy "Lomo" and the fantastic "Sleepwalk In Rome" I'm so happy that the band decided to sing one song in their natal language, Italian, they did it in their previous album and it was a great add.

Klimt 1918 not only reinvents Metal music with outer non-metal influences, but they succeed in creating an album that is likable for everyone, Metal or non-Metal, and I know this as a fact, because everytime I put the Cd at my house, my Metal and non-Metal friends always praise the music.

So, it's up to you to grab one of the best records of the year, if you like lighter music once in a while and if you like bands like U2, Anathema and Katatonia, this is definitively for you, don't miss it for anything in the world.

Written by Undercraft | 24.11.2005

Comments

Comments: 3   Visited by: 94 users
02.03.2007 - 21:14
SirenOfTheStyx
Account deleted
Such a wonderful album... I was so impressed ! Their songs are catchy and melancholic, rich and simple, bittersweet, everything sounds so right... I love them !!!
13.09.2007 - 03:07
Rating: 9
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
This album is just amazing... Melancholic, depressive, yet catchy and enjoyable. One of the most amazing albums I've ever heard. Everything's on its place in Klimt 1918's albums, I can wait for a new release.
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
11.02.2008 - 02:48
Rating: 9
omjaimes
omjaimes
it is a very interesting album in latinoamerica we are not accustomed to this type of fusions. It is a simple album; rich instrumentally where all the instruments play a special paper, of blended emotions but of a melancholic bottom and a very personal but attractive lyrical content.

I give him a 9 and I recommend it

Hits total: 4857 | This month: 17