Metal Storm logo
Mastodon - Guitarist Brent Hinds Says He Hates Metal

Mastodon guitarist Brent Hinds is the talk of the town at the moment. He was recently interviewed by Guitar Player and spoke his mind about the fact that he never really liked heavy metal and he also is tired of doing interviews. Maybe he was being cheeky, maybe he was being honest? He also said he has been trying to get Mastodon to not be such a heavy metal band.

Here is what Brent Hinds said in the interview: "I never really liked heavy metal in the first place. I came from Alabama playing country music, surf rock, rockabilly, and stuff like that. I just went through a phase in my 20s where I thought it was rebellious to play heavy metal. And then I met Brann [Dailor, Mastodon drummer] and Bill [Kelliher], and they were really, really, really into heavy metal. And ever since then, I've been trying to get Mastodon to not be such a heavy metal band, because I f**king hate heavy metal, and I don't want to be in a heavy metal band.

"It would be nice if magazines and all interviews would just go fall off the face of the earth along with all the cigarette smoke and all the other f**king things I hate in life. I don't like doing interviews, I don't read interviews, I don't need to know how people go about doing things. It frustrates me to do interviews, because I have to talk about things I've talked about over and over and over and over again. So, no, there's nothing that we can talk about that involved Mastodon that I'll get excited about. After 15 years of doing this every f**king day of my life, the last thing I want to do is talk about doing it.

"I'm very passionate about playing guitar?I'm just not the most passionate guy in the world about talking about any of it. Breaking details down and getting micro about what cable I plug into what pedal is, to me, a very unnecessary type of dialogue. I understand you have readers that want to know that stuff, but they're not going to find out from me."

Source: guitarplayer.com
Band profile: Mastodon
Posted: 24.06.2015 by BloodTears

Comments page 2 / 2

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 47   Visited by: 343 users
26.06.2015 - 06:53
afu
His songs have been more Classic Rock sounding since Blood Mountain. He was the primary music composer for Crack The Skye, as well. I don't doubt that part of him loves some metal, but not "METAL!!!!!!" as in: all other music is puny compared to my METAL!!!!!!!!!! I see this headline being on their "Behind The Music" in 15 years.

Speaking of being an adult and taking care of things like an adult: when your fans are your boss, don't piss them off or they'll fire you. Get a new boss first.
28.06.2015 - 06:27
John Shock
Written by Maglor on 25.06.2015 at 01:15

In my country exist a type of music call pimba, very bad, and most of musicians, who play it don't like it, but that give them a lot of Money.

Certainly you are portuguese just like me!
28.06.2015 - 07:07
UPDIRNS
Written by Karlabos on 25.06.2015 at 04:54

Written by deadone on 25.06.2015 at 04:48

Written by UPDIRNS on 25.06.2015 at 04:26

I think he's being honest. If he hates heavy metal then leave Mastodon and go play for a fucking country band.
... but still he should just STFU instead of hating on metal.

Why should he leave cause he doesn't like metal? Why should he hide about not liking metal? It's a fucking democracy and people can say what they like. It's called freedom of speech.

And he doesn't have to love metal to play in Mastodon. He does a great job despite his dislike of the genre.

Agreed.

The part about saying on an interview that he hates interviews is still very dumb though...

No shit. It's my opinion that he should STFU if he hates metal music and is in a metal band. Freedom of speech? You don''t agree with me and that's cool. But I'm standing strong in my belief that is you don't like what you're doing don't do it. Find something else that you are passionate about and do that. I love metal music and anyone that says they hate it can STFU as far as I'm concerned and that's my freedom of speech screaming in that persons face.
28.06.2015 - 13:57
Fallen Ghost
Craft Beer Geek
Hard to know if he's just fucking around or if this is the truth. Lets just hope that Mastodon will continue writing awesome music!
30.06.2015 - 00:19
Rapid Fire
So he is ''very passionate about playing guitar'' but is playing music he hates...?

Anyway, if Mastodon continue to release good albums I don't really care.
----
Twelve voices were shouting in anger, and they were all alike. The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
30.06.2015 - 12:14
Daniell
_爱情_
elite
Lots of people hate thier jobs, why would he be any different? It's completely normal.
30.06.2015 - 14:17
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
elite
Some of y'all are taking this shit WAY too fucking seriously
...which, I wouldn't be surprised, might just be exactly what Hinds intended
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
30.06.2015 - 21:27
no one
Account deleted
Written by Auntie Sahar on 30.06.2015 at 14:17

Some of y'all are taking this shit WAY too fucking seriously
...which, I wouldn't be surprised, might just be exactly what Hinds intended

i think we all know that there's the chance he's not serious, it just makes better discussion to take what he said seriously.
04.07.2015 - 18:55
crucifiedjesus
This is some puzzling shit!
05.07.2015 - 00:48
Nicko's Nose
If he REALLY does hate metal, then I hate him.
10.07.2015 - 01:12
Gordon Freeman
I approve entirely. Having a member of the band who doesn't really care for the genre the band is in keeps the band innovating and stops them from going stale, like every thrash metal band in existence for example.
----
God Dammit Doug! Take off your hat, Night Moves is playing. Don't be a prick man!

http://www.last.fm/user/Axl_The_Viking
14.07.2015 - 06:15
Timelord
Written by deadone on 25.06.2015 at 04:48

Written by UPDIRNS on 25.06.2015 at 04:26

I think he's being honest. If he hates heavy metal then leave Mastodon and go play for a fucking country band.
... but still he should just STFU instead of hating on metal.

Why should he leave cause he doesn't like metal? Why should he hide about not liking metal? It's a fucking democracy and people can say what they like. It's called freedom of speech.

And he doesn't have to love metal to play in Mastodon. He does a great job despite his dislike of the genre.

To some (myself included) I wouldn't walk across the room to see a band (or member) that openly states he "hates" playing this type of music. Why? Because it would eat at me to no end knowing that I paid money for a PHONY who hates it! I don't care how good they are/were (Mastodon hasn't been worth a shit to me since their second record). I have talked to them on more than one occasion and the last time there was a huge feeling of arrogance. I can understand IF it a case of total burnout as I have had that happen to me with music and tattooing/piercing for 15+ yrs. I STILL don't like talking about it 5 years since retiring. I should have stopped a year earlier as I felt it wasn't fair to the customer. If they knew I just was going through motions just to get paid and not giving 100% mentally and/or artistically they would be left with a negative memory. Same type of situation with this discussion of Mastodon. Thats MY opinion though but I am sure there are plenty of others that would say FUCKIN A RIGHT!!! lol
14.07.2015 - 08:15
Timelord
Written by deadone on 14.07.2015 at 07:16

Written by Timelord on 14.07.2015 at 06:15

To some (myself included) I wouldn't walk across the room to see a band (or member) that openly states he "hates" playing this type of music. Why? Because it would eat at me to no end knowing that I paid money for a PHONY who hates it! I don't care how good they are/were (Mastodon hasn't been worth a shit to me since their second record). I have talked to them on more than one occasion and the last time there was a huge feeling of arrogance. I can understand IF it a case of total burnout as I have had that happen to me with music and tattooing/piercing for 15+ yrs. I STILL don't like talking about it 5 years since retiring. I should have stopped a year earlier as I felt it wasn't fair to the customer. If they knew I just was going through motions just to get paid and not giving 100% mentally and/or artistically they would be left with a negative memory. Same type of situation with this discussion of Mastodon. Thats MY opinion though but I am sure there are plenty of others that would say FUCKIN A RIGHT!!! lol

How do you know other bands don't contain "phonies" as well? How do you know they're not playing music they hate?

Many musicians fake it anyhow even if they love the music. They might not want to write a new album but are required to do so. They often burn out playing live gigs but continue to do so because they have to.

You see it all the time and if you read interviews and biographies etc, you understand how often musicians do what they have to cause it's their job and not for the love of it.

And music like metal is entertainment. - plain and simple. Some component of it might be art, but most of it's entertainment (and mass produced at that). And those who become professional entertainers have to put food on the table and pay the bills like everyone else. As such "giving 100%...artistically" is somewhat irrelevant as long as the paying public enjoy the music and the show.

I don't know about other bands and I am not talking about other bands. The topic is Mastodon and the comments made by Brent Hinds. He said it and now its known period! You must have a reading disorder because I said in reference to MYSELF......... IF........ IF ...and again to be clear IF people knew you were not sincere they would have negative memories. At some point most all bands that have been around for 10+ yrs and have had intense schedules get the same burnout. Some you can tell it just isn't fun anymore,some keep going for the fans and then there are the do it for a paycheck phonies. You are wrong metal is NOT just entertainment plain and simple. I have NEVER been onstage to just "entertain" you or anybody else. If that is what you think I am not even going to begin that debate. To each their own that is the greatness of music.
28.07.2015 - 01:24
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Turns out it was just a troll
28.07.2015 - 01:27
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
^ Why am I not surprised?
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
28.07.2015 - 02:25
no one
Account deleted
"can't help wondering if there was at least some truths in his words."
28.07.2015 - 03:49
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
admin
Probably a mix of truth, shit stirring, and being bored fucking stupid of the same q's every day of the tour and every interview.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!

Hits total: 3765 | This month: 6