Metal Storm logo
Shining (NOR) - Perform On Cliff In Norway

Shining (NOR) are releasing a new album this year on Spinefarm Records. But before that, they tried to reach for the sun as they performed on top of a 2,300 foot cliff in Norway! On June 21st, on the solstice and longest day of the year, the Norwegian blackjazz band Shining (NOR) played the world's first concert on top of a grandiose mountain structure hanging out 700 meters-that's nearly 2300 feet-above the ground. A fan-filmed clip of the concert can be seen below along with amazing shots from the event and a video from the band where you can hear a snippet of new music.

The band flew a PA system and power generator up to the mountaintop and blasted their patented music to a group of 300 fans and mountain hikers who had embarked on the daunting task of walking the five-hour trip to the top of the mountain. The concert was filmed with one helicopter, one drone, and several cameramen. It will be released once the material is gathered and processed.

Post-show, Shining (NOR) frontman Jørgen Munkeby said: "This is the craziest thing I've ever been part of! First of all, I'm happy that we're all still alive! But I'm also happy that we got all the technical aspects of this to work, as it's no easy task to plan a full rock and metal concert on top of a freaking mountain!"

Munkeby added: "We have this video series called 'Live on Location,' where we set up our stuff in unusual places and test our musical strength against uncontrollable environments. And what's more uncontrollable than a huge rock literally soaring above a 700 meters straight drop down to the ground in the middle of the Norwegian mountains? I can't wait to start working on the footage and getting it out there!"

Photos by Jarle Hovda Moe and Frode Røe

Source: shining.no
Band profile: Shining (NOR)
Posted: 27.06.2015 by BloodTears

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 12   Visited by: 143 users
27.06.2015 - 13:10
Dark Cornatus
Powerslave
elite
That's Troll Tongue. I went past nearby, but it's a big hike to get there (like 22km return). It's no wonder they flew gear in haha. Kind of a shame to see this band doing it and not some of the more epic ones. I find this band greatly overrated.
27.06.2015 - 13:21
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Flight of Icarus ....but real sun lives in Bödo , Tromsö or Narvik
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
27.06.2015 - 15:02
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
elite
Written by Dark Cornatus on 27.06.2015 at 13:10

Kind of a shame to see this band doing it and not some of the more epic ones. I find this band greatly overrated.

I wouldn't call them overrated per se, but I do agree with you on the more epic band thing. I'd much rather see Enslaved or Solstafir doing something like this, hell, even WITTR... although that last one has performed in forests before, so close enough
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
27.06.2015 - 15:17
Wukk
First Tesseract in an igloo, now Shining on a mountain. I like that bands have started doing this, but I don't think anyone's ever going to top this one. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feR12pQ8dXc
----
If you're 666 then I'm 777
http://www.last.fm/user/Joodicator
27.06.2015 - 16:37
FYA
Destroyer
Written by Wukk on 27.06.2015 at 15:17

First Tesseract in an igloo, now Shining on a mountain. I like that bands have started doing this, but I don't think anyone's ever going to top this one. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feR12pQ8dXc

Do not forget about Metallica on arctica and 30STM.
27.06.2015 - 16:56
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by Wukk on 27.06.2015 at 15:17

I don't think anyone's ever going to top this one. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feR12pQ8dXc

Wow, that's beautiful...
27.06.2015 - 23:13
Hex_Omega
Gem Seeker

I find this band greatly overrated.

Try Grindstone.
28.06.2015 - 05:25
no one
Account deleted
Faark that would have been epic! even if i'm not a massive fan of the band
28.06.2015 - 11:24
BloodTears
ANA-thema
elite
I think this is pretty cool. Not sure how the music would sound though and it doesn't seem very comfortable for the audience
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
28.06.2015 - 12:55
Paz
elite
The first pic is probably the best promo shot in history.
28.06.2015 - 23:41
Skøllgrim
Northern
This reminds me of when the Norwegian rock band Kaizers Orchestra did a similar thing ontop of preikestolen (Preacher's Pulpit) in 2005.
30.06.2015 - 10:26
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by Auntie Sahar on 27.06.2015 at 15:02

Kind of a shame to see this band doing it and not some of the more epic ones. I find this band greatly overrated.

I wouldn't call them overrated per se, but I do agree with you on the more epic band thing. I'd much rather see Enslaved or Solstafir doing something like this, hell, even WITTR... although that last one has performed in forests before, so close enough

Summoning or Primordial would be pretty good on a cliff.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"

Hits total: 5234 | This month: 8