03. Data Overload
04. Used To
05. Randomize The Algorithm
06. The Insolent
07. Sentenced To The Void
08. Out Beyond
09. Eraser
10. The Land Of Monotony

Within the often rigid confines of grindcore, the Polish Antigama has carved a unique identity for itself, sticking true to the genre perhaps, but also coming to weave all kinds of unusual shapes and sounds around it. 2015's The Insolent, however, sees the band easing up on the weirdness factor a bit and opting for a more straightforward approach.

If you enjoy aggressive and in your face grindcore, The Insolent has you covered, as Antigama bring all the fixings here in terms of these common staples of their genre. Short but intense bursts of power pop out with a purpose, smothering listeners with a barrage of blast beats, pummeling guitar riffs, and the fierce vocals of frontman Łukasz Myszkowski, not too unlike in delivery to the iconic snarls of Barney Greenway. And to make things a little more interesting, and not a mere blitzkrieg-on-steroids tornado, on this album Antigama also flirt around with a pleasantly groovy sound at points, more midpaced and bouncy than fast and roaring, especially on "Sentenced To The Void."

What lies outside of this more conventional grindcore approach, however, is where The Insolent may come across as a bit disappointing. With previous albums, Antigama separated themselves from the rest of the pack quite well with, progressive, jazzy, and otherwise atypical moments that, while brief, helped give them a great sense of distinction. On The Insolent, it feels like such moments are generally less prevalent than they have been previously, and that the music is more down to the nitty gritty. "Out Beyond" and "The Land Of Monotony" are probably the most "experimental" tracks here, but even the latter feels more like slow grindcore a la Napalm Death than anything truly bizarre.

To be fair, Antigama never really committed themselves to developing a sound that was significantly unconventional for grindcore, at least not to the extent of bands like !T.O.O.H.! or Fantômas. But the more pronounced experimental aspects of Antigama albums such as Meteor and Zeroland did nonetheless really help make the band who they are, so the fact that The Insolent is a bit more basic in its approach is a bit of a let down. However, this album does still have a few good moments of techniques unusual for grindcore in it, and it makes up for what it might lack in this area with a great sense of catchiness and tempo variation that keeps everything from sounding like a tangled mess. Yeah, it could definitely be more "out there," but overall, not a bad release by any means.

Now go listen and try to figure out what the hell that thing on the album cover is.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 7
Originality: 6
Production: 7

Written on 01.07.2015 by Metal Storm’s own Babalao. Comforting the disturbed and disturbing the comfortable since 2013.

Comments

Comments: 10   Visited by: 106 users
01.07.2015 - 02:27
Lit.
Account deleted
Yeah, coming after the incredible Meteor, I was pretty disappointed.
01.07.2015 - 03:02
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by Guest on 01.07.2015 at 02:27

Yeah, coming after the incredible Meteor, I was pretty disappointed.

It's still decent though, overall I'd say these guys on their worst day are probably still better than the majority of grind bands on their best
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
01.07.2015 - 05:12
Lit.
Account deleted
Written by Auntie Sahar on 01.07.2015 at 03:02

It's still decent though, overall I'd say these guys on their worst day are probably still better than the majority of grind bands on their best

Not sure I'd agree with that, considering I've already heard four or so grind albums better than this already this year.
01.07.2015 - 13:55
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by Guest on 01.07.2015 at 05:12

Not sure I'd agree with that, considering I've already heard four or so grind albums better than this already this year.

Names plz? I'd assume Napalm Death has to be one of them
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
01.07.2015 - 19:16
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Auntie Sahar on 01.07.2015 at 13:55

Written by Guest on 01.07.2015 at 05:12

Names plz? I'd assume Napalm Death has to be one of them

I'm working on he review of the sophomore album by Maruta. That's one of them.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
01.07.2015 - 19:50
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by X-Ray Rod on 01.07.2015 at 19:16

I'm working on he review of the sophomore album by Maruta. That's one of them.

Hey, those guys are from South Florida
Good music and total badasses live, I didn't even know they had a new one coming out
----

~ II. VII
01.07.2015 - 20:00
Paz

Written by Auntie Sahar on 01.07.2015 at 13:55

Names plz?

A few that comes to my mind:

• Cloud Rat - Qliphoth
  • Captain Cleanoff - Rising Terror
  • Unrest - Grindcore
  • The Kill - Kill Them...All
    01.07.2015 - 22:46
    Lit.
    Account deleted
    Wow, I go out strawberry picking while forming a list of grind albums in my head to return to the guys above literally calling all my responses. Yeah, more or less the albums Doc and Pazdzioch posted above. And yes, Napalm Death was definitely one of them.
    01.07.2015 - 23:39
    Auntie Sahar
    Drone Empress
    Written by Paz on 01.07.2015 at 20:00

A few that comes to my mind...

I have been getting a little more into grind and hardcore stuff lately, so thanks for the recs man. This Cloud Rat especially is badass
    ----

~ II. VII
    01.07.2015 - 23:51
    Paz

Written by Auntie Sahar on 01.07.2015 at 23:39

I have been getting a little more into grind and hardcore stuff lately, so thanks for the recs man. This Cloud Rat especially is badass

Cheers mate! Yeah, that's my favorite as well. Definetly the most ambitious work of all mentioned in this thread.

Hits total: 3252 | This month: 4