02. Carcosa
03. The Sunless Years
04. Slave The Hive
05. The Falconist
06. Dark Side Of The Compass
07. The Cave
08. Luminiferous
09. The Lethal Chamber

High On Fire are one of a few select bands in metal, or even in the music industry. Six albums out and none of them suck. Not too many bands you can say that about now, are there?

Luminiferous marks their seventh studio release and some highly flammable straw men might have been worried that they'd run out of ideas or Matt Pike's sobriety might fuck up their awesome dynamic?

Bitch, please.

From the opening strains of "The Black Plot" it is abundantly clear Matt Pike and the boys are back with balls of steel.

Luminiferous contains everything you'd expect from High On Fire. Jeff Matz and Des Kensel provide the metal framework of the band, a bass and battery backbone which makes The Terminator (Ahnuld version) seem a soft lad by comparison. Matt Pike shouts out conspiracy theory lyrics while he bashes and shreds the hell out of his guitar, following up crushing riff after crushing riff with chaotic soli.

You've got your rawkin fast barn burners like "The Black Plot", "Slave The Hive" and awesome, pounding, relentless the title track.

Of course you'll find lots of slower, more epic tracks like "Carcosa" and "The Sunless Years".

Hell, this even has some form of a ballad on it. "The Cave" ain't no "Nothing Else Matters", though. Still total HOF. Also early-Pink Floydian trippy build up gives way to a riff that pounds your ear hole like a Tsunami batters a shore line.

So it is another High On Fire album filled with typical High On Fire stuff. What's the big deal? Why bother? (Lols, silly questions.)

Like Bolt Thrower, The Ramones, Motörhead and more is they have developed their own way, their own sound, and paved their own path. They tinker and improve upon their formula over time.

What makes Luminiferous a great listen is the sound. They followed up their high water mark (my opinion) Death Is This Communion with two albums that suffered in the sound department. Snakes For The Divine had some great tracks (shout along? FROSTHAMMER!), but really oddball production. De Vermis Mysteriis was a solid album with no real stand out tracks and some dense production that might have been a bit off the chain.

Luminiferous sees the band cutting solid to great tracks with the best sound they've had since DITC. It is a sonic bar fight. You might take a bottle to the back of your favorite melon and a few punches to the gut, but you enjoy the carnage with a smile on your face.

So go, what are you waiting for?

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 8
Production: 9

Written on 02.07.2015 by BitterCOld has been officially reviewing albums for MetalStorm since 2009.

Comments

Comments: 8   Visited by: 212 users
02.07.2015 - 19:57
3rdWorld
China was a neat
The first line starts off quite like the last HOF album review but a fun read anyway, good to see a classic Bitter reviewing one of his favourite bands after a long time. And regarding HOF, I prefer to listen chronologically through the works of Matt Pike. I finished all Sleep albums and started with their debut The Art Of Self Defence. Looking forward to listening this soon enough.
03.07.2015 - 00:15
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Awesome album and awesome review! I would say my favorite HOF albums up to this point have been Death Is This Communion and Snakes For The Divine, but this one could change that.
It is indeed interesting too how sobriety can fuck up some bands' musicianship, and improve others. With Pike off the bottle now he sounds great as ever... although I still wouldn't be surprised if he still smokes a good bowl every now and then, what with this reptilian conspiracy shit he's been going on about lately
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
04.07.2015 - 14:40
Rating: 9
Vikcen
Metálico
King Of Days isn't a real stand out track? it is a master piece of song.
04.07.2015 - 18:58
crucifiedjesus

This might be my favorite HOF release yet
05.07.2015 - 01:17
Rating: 7
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
Had "The Falconist" stuck in my head for two days. Love the energy of the opening track, and the repetitiveness of "Carcosa" a bit hypnotic. "Slave the Hive" reminds me a lot of Sabbath. I enjoy how they dial it back a bit for "The Cave", making it overall a pretty solid album. I've certainly enjoyed it.
----
The sun shines over The Fool...
05.07.2015 - 21:19
Frombelow

Didn't really know this band before the review, and boy, did I miss out! I love this album and I'm going to listen to previous albums as well. Always great to discover new bands!
10.07.2015 - 20:05
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by 3rdWorld on 02.07.2015 at 19:57

The first line starts off quite like the last HOF album review...

That's because me and Bitter sit around and have Matt Pike worship parties.

Seriously, there's a good chance we've plagiarized each other on more than one occasion when it comes to analyzing worshiping HoF.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
14.07.2015 - 18:02
Rating: 9
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Written by Doc G. on 10.07.2015 at 20:05

That's because me and Bitter sit around and have Matt Pike worship parties.

Seriously, there's a good chance we've plagiarized each other on more than one occasion when it comes to analyzing worshiping HoF.

Yeah, intentionally lifted as we do have similar positions on the band. We both think the statement true, declarative and it's pretty direct. Was using it for the +1 factor. (I didn't include the new one on that tally, that is what the review is for, but would be amused if they continue the course and the next review includes it, just with 7 in lieu of 6.) Of course, I think it was also stated by one of us in a thread in the metal forum long ago about bands with more than 4 albums that have remained consistently good.

It's not like I ripped off of some of Doc's more eloquent prose. I would consider that plagiarism...

As a side note, I have found that once or twice i've actually plagiarized a line or two out of my older reviews without having realized I had typed it before.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!

Hits total: 5326 | This month: 6