Metal Storm logo
Black metal bands that never became well-known

Original post

Posted by Account deleted, 22.05.2006 - 01:52
I am looking for black metal bands in the 90s that didn't get well known but they were awesome.I don't mean bands like Darkthrone or Mayhem but for bands that never became famous in black metal.
23.11.2007 - 22:26
Existenzangst
Account deleted
Nyktalgia and Sterbend from germany, very raw and depressing, they play what people today call "suicidal black metal". Both bands have the same members in it, and both albums (the nyktalgia and the sterbend album) are highly recommended by me, both are one of my fav. albums.

Wigrid from germany, again a very raw and depressing band. The only album by him I heard so far is "die asche eines lebens", great stuff with nice ambient feeling.

And Trist from czech republic, a one-man project again and pure pessimism in musical form.
23.11.2007 - 23:52
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by Guest on 23.11.2007 at 22:26

Nyktalgia and Sterbend from germany, very raw and depressing, they play what people today call "suicidal black metal". Both bands have the same members in it, and both albums (the nyktalgia and the sterbend album) are highly recommended by me, both are one of my fav. albums.

Wigrid from germany, again a very raw and depressing band. The only album by him I heard so far is "die asche eines lebens", great stuff with nice ambient feeling.

And Trist from czech republic, a one-man project again and pure pessimism in musical form.

why are you mentioning these bands? Wigrid is pretty well known almost everywhere. Trist and Sterbend are famous in the underground. Nyktalgia's associated with Sterbend, so they are also recognized. just because a band is underground it doesn't mean that it doesn't have a (in some cases large) fan base.
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
24.11.2007 - 00:41
Lucas
Mr. Noise
elite
oh come on, Sterbend isn't exactly a well-known band is it?
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
24.11.2007 - 00:48
Existenzangst
Account deleted
Written by Damnated on 23.11.2007 at 23:52

Written by Guest on 23.11.2007 at 22:26

why are you mentioning these bands? Wigrid is pretty well known almost everywhere. Trist and Sterbend are famous in the underground. Nyktalgia's associated with Sterbend, so they are also recognized. just because a band is underground it doesn't mean that it doesn't have a (in some cases large) fan base.

i never heard that wigrid is well-known, or sterbend. yes nyktalgia is good known in the underground, as i thaught he is talking about not well-known in the mainstream, so, duh.
24.11.2007 - 02:38
Damnated
Churchburner
not well known in the mainstream? but then every contemporary black metal band should be mentioned, and 90% of the 90's black metal.

and Sterbend is pretty well known, yes. so is Beatrik, Make a Change...Kill Yourself, Krohm, Hypothermia, Nocturnal Depression etcetera. they are unknown here on MS, that's true.
----

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
24.11.2007 - 03:29
Existenzangst
Account deleted
it was wrong from me to recommend them anyway, because this dude is looking for 90's stuff.

whatever, then i'll recommend:

witchtrap (turkish one) and poccolus, two really good bands who didn't get the recognition they deserved.
24.11.2007 - 12:09
Damnated
Churchburner
an unknown band is the swedish Nefandus. They released onyl one album in '96 and nothing after that. they had a huge impact on the orthodox bm movement, but never got real attention from fans.
----

24.11.2007 - 15:53
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Damnated on 24.11.2007 at 12:09

an unknown band is the swedish Nefandus. They released onyl one album in '96 and nothing after that. they had a huge impact on the orthodox bm movement, but never got real attention from fans.

One good album, even I havnt hear it but I look them in MA and seems great, but where you get that album>
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
24.11.2007 - 15:55
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by Bad English on 24.11.2007 at 15:53

One good album, even I havnt hear it but I look them in MA and seems great, but where you get that album>

from uberkvlt dc++ hubs i can upload it if you're interested
----

24.11.2007 - 15:58
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Damnated on 24.11.2007 at 15:55

Written by Bad English on 24.11.2007 at 15:53

from uberkvlt dc++ hubs i can upload it if you're interested

No in DC++ cant find
----

apos;'
[image]
24.11.2007 - 16:07
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by Bad English on 24.11.2007 at 15:58

No in DC++ cant find

yeah, it's pretty rare.. just a few ppl have it.
----

24.11.2007 - 16:22
Lucas
Mr. Noise
elite
Written by Damnated on 24.11.2007 at 16:07

Written by Bad English on 24.11.2007 at 15:58

No in DC++ cant find

yeah, it's pretty rare.. just a few ppl have it.

help me be one of them.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
26.11.2007 - 13:53
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
german abnd Schattenvald are underated thay had 2 albums I and II but bouth are so awsoem and great this band shod be in top
----

apos;'
[image]
27.11.2007 - 08:37
Hembrom
Diabolic Priest
Written by Damnated on 24.11.2007 at 02:38

not well known in the mainstream? but then every contemporary black metal band should be mentioned, and 90% of the 90's black metal.

and Sterbend is pretty well known, yes. so is Beatrik, Make a Change...Kill Yourself, Krohm, Hypothermia, Nocturnal Depression etcetera. they are unknown here on MS, that's true.

Yeah i agree , all the bands mentioned are very well known in underground BM culture. We cant say that this/that band is not well known , Black Metal IS underground. Talk bands like Stormbringer (US) and Akitsa (Canada) [ they deserve more fans].

Again not famous in MS has nothing to do with udnerground BM scene.
28.11.2007 - 17:27
Warman
Erotic Stains

And I guess it's worth looking up?
----
28.11.2007 - 17:36
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by Warman on 28.11.2007 at 17:27

And I guess it's worth looking up?

definitely. the links are one post above yours. check'em right now
----

30.11.2007 - 07:56
ASiema113
Well it's more like late 90's early 00's but I find Crystalium to be unknown if barly acknowledged. Some will tell you why listen to them when you can listen to something like Marduk. Well variation for one, I like to see how other bands sound like rather then listen to the same well known bands over and over again. And two these guys sure as hell know how to incorporate solos into their work whether you enjoy solos in BM or not. I recommend "De Aeternitate Commando" & "Diktat Omega" but stay the hell away from "Doxo" (IMO) they have changed for the worse like for example the new satyricon is nothing like the old satyricon but that doesn't mean I stop listening to their previous albums. So if your into some fast-paced BM then check these guys out.
----

Written by Guest on 18.01.2008 at 09:05

People are always at their very best when they're dead.
07.05.2008 - 04:04
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
people regard Beherit and "drawing down the moon" to be a ridiculous album, but i dont think they ever got past KVLT status.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
07.05.2008 - 16:05
Necromutant
Because I'm Finnish I naturally listen much to Finnish bands including also many black metal bands. For example, Horna, Sargeist, Behexen and Satanic Warmaster are bands which I can recommendate. They are not very known even in my country, though Horna and probably Behexen are some kind of cult bands in the underground. Anyway, all these bands are very black, raw and depressing, at least in my opinion. If you like dark and necrotic sound these bands are probably not very bad alternatives for you.
07.05.2008 - 23:15
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by Necromutant on 07.05.2008 at 16:05

Horna, Sargeist, Behexen and Satanic Warmaster. these bands are very black, raw and depressing, at least in my opinion. If you like dark and necrotic sound these bands are probably not very bad alternatives for you.

^^ they are also very generic and very boring, but unfortunately pretty well known.
----

08.05.2008 - 01:02
Southern Wind
Account deleted
Written by Damnated on 07.05.2008 at 23:15

Horna, Sargeist, Behexen and Satanic Warmaster. these bands are very black, raw and depressing, at least in my opinion. If you like dark and necrotic sound these bands are probably not very bad alternatives for you.

^^ they are also very generic and very boring, but unfortunately pretty well known.

Behexen are my favourite finnish black metal band (probably along with Clandestine Blaze and Arsonist Lodge, but AL still have to prove their strenth with a full-length) but I totally agree about the other three...
08.05.2008 - 10:04
Bad English
Tage Westerlund

Totaly agree its werry boring and overated bands
----

apos;'
[image]
08.05.2008 - 15:21
Necromutant
Written by Bad English on 08.05.2008 at 10:04

Totaly agree its werry boring and overated bands

I also agree that these bands are generic, but that also means that they really are black metal. All these bands have a raw and pure black metal sound and, of course, a black and dark ambience. I don't understand people who say that metal music have always to be technically great and well-produced. In my opinion real and pure black metal is not very black or interesting if the sound is clinic or "plastic".
08.05.2008 - 15:46
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by Guest on 08.05.2008 at 01:02

Behexen are my favourite finnish black metal band (probably along with Clandestine Blaze and Arsonist Lodge, but AL still have to prove their strenth with a full-length) but I totally agree about the other three...

Behexen have really started to grow on me. their latest effort is quite good, so i should have excluded them from the quote.
should really check out Arsonist Lodge, as it's the second time i see you referring to them.

Written by Necromutant on 08.05.2008 at 15:21

In my opinion real and pure black metal is not very black or interesting if the sound is clinic or "plastic".

thing is, there are bands that play straightforward, raw black metal which is actually interesting and good. take a look at Watain, Antaeus, Katharsis, Corpus Christii etcetera. they don't use fancy production nor any melodic elements such as symphonies or female vocals, yet their tunes are way superior to those of satanic warmaster or horna.
----

11.05.2008 - 15:03
FOOCK Nam
Impiety, quite very intense music, and I think Im sure that they are pretty not well known, their music are very also very power mixed with death or thrash element.
12.05.2008 - 09:41
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Im just listening Countless Nederland and sorry people those guys are so anyoning, better 2 good albums how 15 shit
----

apos;'
[image]
12.05.2008 - 10:31
Øyvind
Grave Digger
People probably know about Beastcraft, right? Sorry for my ignorance.
----
12.05.2008 - 19:10
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by Øyvind on 12.05.2008 at 10:31

Beastcraft are so bad that they're almost irritating. look away if you hear from them again.

a band that is also hailing from norway, and may represent some hope are Celestial Bloodshed. they released their debut full-length this year, and although it's not exceptional by any means, it is definitely a solid album, and deserves attention from anyone interested in new norvegian black metal.
----

13.05.2008 - 09:13
Øyvind
Grave Digger
Written by Damnated on 12.05.2008 at 19:10

Written by Øyvind on 12.05.2008 at 10:31

Beastcraft are so bad that they're almost irritating. look away if you hear from them again.

a band that is also hailing from norway, and may represent some hope are Celestial Bloodshed. they released their debut full-length this year, and although it's not exceptional by any means, it is definitely a solid album, and deserves attention from anyone interested in new norvegian black metal.

I'll definitely try to hear that one. You're right about Beastcraft, that's probably the worst music in history, all the buzzing, one riff per song, drumming on cans, and the most important thing is that they do it on purpose, because "black metal needs to be raw and simple and bad" or whatever. They're even worse than Bethor (a Serbian black metal band), which I find hard to believe, because Bethor sounds like the noise when you connect to the internet on dial-up
----
14.05.2008 - 01:47
Gordon Freeman
Fimbulwinter had one good release, Servents of Sorcery. Then they split into a bunch of better known bands (see Ulver)

Mythos released a decent album, Pain Amplifier, and a host of forgettable demos.

Ophthalamia had a handful of good albums and some not so good ones.

Judas Iscariot, fairly well known in the U.S. black metal scene, I'm not really sure how many people on the other side of the pond know about the band. A LOT of quality tunes.

And one of my personal favorites Hades, who released my favorite black metal album "...Again Shall Be" as well as the almost as good "The Dawn of the Dying Sun". Then they changed their name to the more well known Hades Almighty and kind of started to suck.

I'll have to ask you guy's forgivness if I went and named a bunch of well known BM bands...I'm not really in touch with the more cult black metal. Plus I don't really have any friends who listen to this type of music. All I know is I'm the only one I know who knows anything about the above bands...

...again I apologize if I messed up your topic...
----
God Dammit Doug! Take off your hat, Night Moves is playing. Don't be a prick man!

http://www.last.fm/user/Axl_The_Viking