Metal Storm logo
Black metal bands that never became well-known

Original post

Posted by , 22.05.2006 - 01:52
I am looking for black metal bands in the 90s that didn't get well known but they were awesome.I don't mean bands like Darkthrone or Mayhem but for bands that never became famous in black metal.
14.05.2008 - 01:57
Tötenswert
Account deleted
a great 90s band which I've discovered a couple of days ago is the german band "Ungod". Their debut album is a good piece old school black metal, in every sense of the word.
14.05.2008 - 18:17
Sunioj

They are ok... nothing to really go crazy about IMO.
14.05.2008 - 20:35
Tötenswert
Account deleted
Written by Sunioj on 14.05.2008 at 18:17

They are ok... nothing to really go crazy about IMO.

as long as you appreciate the old school it's ok if you like it or not, lol ^^ it's great old black metal imo
16.05.2008 - 01:40
halleluaj
Account deleted
i think that varathron fullfil your criteria
16.05.2008 - 09:50
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 16.05.2008 at 01:40

i think that varathron fullfil your criteria

Joking write, that band are so awsome like ewery hellenic band ''aris god of brutal war''
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
21.05.2008 - 00:50
TheBigRossowski

Krieg never became THAT well known. Euryonmous was also signing this band "Mysticum" to his record label..or he was going too, but then Varg stabbed him to death...so uhhh, yeah, that never happened. Not a big fan of it (it's like a shit version of VON). You can check it out though!
----
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?
21.05.2008 - 12:36
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by TheBigRossowski on 21.05.2008 at 00:50

Euryonmous was also signing this band "Mysticum" to his record label..or he was going too, but then Varg stabbed him to death...so uhhh, yeah, that never happened. Not a big fan of it (it's like a shit version of VON). You can check it out though!

you mean the Mysticum that released In the Streams of Inferno? they're not similar to VON tbh, and are quite good.
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
21.05.2008 - 12:48
rageing atheist
Account deleted

Krieg never became THAT well known. Euryonmous was also signing this band "Mysticum" to his record label..or he was going too, but then Varg stabbed him to death...so uhhh, yeah, that never happened. Not a big fan of it (it's like a shit version of VON). You can check it out though!

Mysticum? Like a shit version of Von? I haven't heard their demo material but their only full-length (In The Streams of Inferno) doesn't resemble Von at all, the songs have a very different feeling, the atmosphere is a lot bleaker and more opressive, also they had a very industrial feeling that wasn't similar to the loose pounding of Von at all, imo.
21.05.2008 - 13:22
TheBigRossowski

Written by Guest on 21.05.2008 at 12:48

Mysticum? Like a shit version of Von? I haven't heard their demo material but their only full-length (In The Streams of Inferno) doesn't resemble Von at all, the songs have a very different feeling, the atmosphere is a lot bleaker and more opressive, also they had a very industrial feeling that wasn't similar to the loose pounding of Von at all, imo.

Yeah, that Mysticum. I'm not a big fan. They do have a bleaker sound, but if I had to say "check this band out, it's kinda like..", thats it. Just take a look in the metal archives here and you'll understand what I mean (if you don't already). You look up Darkthrone and you're interested in the sound and what other bands have that (MS has listed- Emperor, Behemoth, etc.). They don't sound like Darkthrone...but in some way, it's in the same vein.
----
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?
21.05.2008 - 15:42
rageing atheist
Account deleted
Written by TheBigRossowski on 21.05.2008 at 13:22

[Yeah, that Mysticum. I'm not a big fan. They do have a bleaker sound, but if I had to say "check this band out, it's kinda like..", thats it. Just take a look in the metal archives here and you'll understand what I mean (if you don't already). You look up Darkthrone and you're interested in the sound and what other bands have that (MS has listed- Emperor, Behemoth, etc.). They don't sound like Darkthrone...but in some way, it's in the same vein.

I get what you mean, that Mysticum would probably appeal to the people who like Von etc and I pretty much agree with you here, I just felt that it was kind of "unfair" to refer to them as a shittier version of Von, as they don't sound very similar to eachother in my opinion, but yes I now get what you meant with your comparison.
21.05.2008 - 16:44
Damnated
Churchburner
Mysticum is a band that was really overlooked. pretty strange though, as everything which has the slightest hint of industrial gets picked up right away these days.
----

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
07.06.2008 - 06:09
Conservationist

Belial

there was another band, from .ch, beginning with an N
27.11.2008 - 21:21
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Damn... There was a BM band that I found fucking great but I can't remember their name!!! The only thing I know is that they have really weird guitarrs! With the bass strings along with the gúitarr ones or something like that... I can't remember very well but they had a lot of strings on their guitarrs and the sound was thick as hell...

Damn!!!...
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
27.11.2008 - 22:28
-DC-002-
Mastercommander
Seriously check out In Memorium. I don't know how nobody knows about them. They've been around for 10 or so years and are from the US. A good band
----
Coldgrits
28.11.2008 - 00:42
John Barleycorn
Minimalist
I discovered a French bm band some weeks ago that is certainly quite unknown, at least I would be seriously amazed if it wasn't. The name is Vediog Svaor, it's a one-man-band and he has released one album in 2001 - In the Distance. The music has quite psychedelic atmosphere and features both harsh and clean vocals, the latter being really low in the mix so that I get full enjoyment only by using headphones. And I really like those vocals, they sound quite strange and original. The song titles are jibberish, but my favourite song is probaby "Wipsoq davel". Overall, it's a really cute little release with long songs.
I would put here a link to his myspace, but he doesn't have one it seems.
28.11.2008 - 02:12
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by John Barleycorn on 28.11.2008 at 00:42

I discovered a French bm band some weeks ago that is certainly quite unknown, at least I would be seriously amazed if it wasn't. The name is Vediog Svaor, it's a one-man-band and he has released one album in 2001 - In the Distance. The music has quite psychedelic atmosphere and features both harsh and clean vocals, the latter being really low in the mix so that I get full enjoyment only by using headphones. And I really like those vocals, they sound quite strange and original. The song titles are jibberish, but my favourite song is probaby "Wipsoq davel". Overall, it's a really cute little release with long songs.
I would put here a link to his myspace, but he doesn't have one it seems.

indeed Vediog Svaor is a great band. who would have thought that pink floyd and black metal is a good combination.
i'm really hoping the guy returns someday and releases another album. music like this should come in greater numbers.
----

28.11.2008 - 21:28
ß
Problem?
Not a whole lot of bands come into mind or maybe it's that I just forget all the names lol anyways the band is from Czech Republic called and they're called Maniac Butcher. They have a bunch of decent release nothing really that special but the one that stands out for me the most is called Cerná Krev.
----
My music blog - Updated regularly.
To live is to think - Cicero
28.11.2008 - 23:20
mortjoyeux

Hm.
Check out any band from LLN. Pure, raw, black underground metal from france. They're probably not too well known to this day,
but most of the musicians/bands in that group are the best.
30.11.2008 - 14:38
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by mortjoyeux on 28.11.2008 at 23:20

Hm.
Check out any band from LLN. Pure, raw, black underground metal from france. They're probably not too well known to this day,

Those bands be know, maybe not so like Norbegians, buta ll knwo LLN in metal comunitity, not only BM, there was some BM cirkle in Argentina and something same in Russia , gthose bands never be know but LLN are already
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
30.11.2008 - 16:02
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by mortjoyeux on 28.11.2008 at 23:20

Hm.

I would want to turn it around and say that if those bands weren't part of LLN noone would have given a shit about them.
LLN bands are among the most overrated black metal bands in the world.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

30.11.2008 - 20:44
I, The Quatropus

Leviathan, his Tenth Sub Level of Suicide cd was pretty good.
----
Burzum did it for the lulz
01.12.2008 - 18:39
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Gehenna IMO... I don't think they are underground, but I don't see people talking about them and I think they are really good.

Their first album was awesome, a perfect example of what Melodic BM should be.
----
Rod, let me love you.
01.12.2008 - 18:54
Sunioj

Written by X-Ray Rod on 01.12.2008 at 18:39

Gehenna IMO... I don't think they are underground, but I don't see people talking about them and I think they are really good.

Their first album was awesome, a perfect example of what Melodic BM should be.

I know Gehenna. I love all three of their first releases, it really is everything I like about melo Bm and more. Plus it has some touches of goth and good use of keys.
01.12.2008 - 18:58
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Sunioj on 01.12.2008 at 18:54

Plus it has some touches of goth and good use of keys.

Yeah... That's exactly why They surprised me. The use of the keyboards is really good.
Murder wasn't that interesting maybe... More death oriented, but the last album WW from 2005 is kind of back in black and really worth it.
----
Rod, let me love you.
01.12.2008 - 19:31
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by X-Ray Rod on 01.12.2008 at 18:58

Yeah... That's exactly why They surprised me. The use of the keyboards is really good.
Murder wasn't that interesting maybe... More death oriented, but the last album WW from 2005 is kind of back in black and really worth it.

WW was nominated for Best Black Metal album in the MS 2005 awards http://www.metalstorm.ee/awards/archive.php?year=2005#cat27
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

01.12.2008 - 19:51
Sunioj

Hah, I was completely clueless. I will check that album out then...
02.12.2008 - 16:41
FOOCK Nam

I too like Gehenna, agree that they are not really underground but yeah not so much quite well known. I own their Second Spell, flawles with horror, brutal and satanic melodic atmosphere
02.12.2008 - 17:00
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 01.12.2008 at 19:31

Written by X-Ray Rod on 01.12.2008 at 18:58

WW was nominated for Best Black Metal album in the MS 2005 awards http://www.metalstorm.ee/awards/archive.php?year=2005#cat27

OMG... I didn't know about that xD.... I just cheked the last two awards. I'm glad they were there. Thanks for the info
----
Rod, let me love you.
06.12.2008 - 17:39
FOOCK Nam

Another black metal band that have not become well known is Far Beyond, from Germany, the are more melodic but still labeled as in black metal.
05.05.2009 - 15:20
Krankheit
Account deleted
Sad news for a good band RIP :

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=119425