03. The Cry Of Mankind
04. Turn Loose The Swans
05. A Cruel Taste Of Winter
06. Under Your Wings And Into Your Arms
07. A Kiss To Remember
08. Your River
09. The Fever Sea
10. Symphonaire Infernus Et Spera Empyrium

This live album of My Dying Bride has been released after their last album to date The Dreadful Hours, and yet, it has been recorded before this one. Thus, don's look for several tracks of their latest masterpiece, for the only song taken out of it is ?A Cruel Taste of Winter? and is introduced as a brand new song.

As I have never seen this English doom band live, I?ve bought The Voice Of The Wretched to see if a doom metal show kicks major ass... and I'm not going to wait until the end of this review to reveal that I am quite disappointed. Actually, there is no problem as far as the music is concerned: the songs are perfectly executed, the overall sound renders well the quality of the arrangements... Furthermore, Aaron Stainthorpe has exactly the same voice as on album, and the tracklist, even if it is strange [it privileges the first albums], remains of good quality.

The problem comes from the audience: I don's know if it is a particularity of the people in Tilburg, a constant thing in doom shows or a problem of the production, but My Dying Bride does not seem to provoke madness. What you hear on this album is more than one hour of religious silence. Holy shit!, even the all-time masterpiece ?The Cry of Mankind? only leads to a dozen applause. So, the reproach I make here is that when you record a live album, it is, beyond the music itself, to recreate the hot atmosphere of a concert. When you don's hear the fans, then something is missing. This has been the same thing for In Flame's Showdown In Tokyo for example. Here the reception is not only cold, it is completely glacial, with the consequence that it quickly becomes boring.

Here's my conclusion, unless you are a real My Dying Bride fan, you better listen to their studio albums, because this anecdotal live does not bring anything more. And please guys, next time choose a concert room with living people in it...

Written by Deadsoulman | 22.09.2003

Comments

Comments: 1   Visited by: 9 users
13.07.2015 - 20:56
Rating: 8
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I agree about I better listed band' studio albums ... 100% agree, seeing live why not
But somehow death/doom where emotions are hight, best are studio records
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing

Hits total: 2684 | This month: 8