Metal Storm logo
2015 - Leth's List Of Likables (Non-Metal Inclusive)

Every album to catch my ear during 2015, rated, with plenty of non-metal for those of you who like to branch out and see what the whole world of music has to offer. Variety'll always be a virtue.

Numerous focused listens needed before rating.
Updates will (hopefully) be constant.

New Update: In order to promote exploration into albums you may not know, I've decided to include "Standout Track" segments for any album which has a track I feel you all MUST listen to. Hopefully these can help hook people with albums they're not familiar with, because chances are they instantaneously hooked me.

-----------

Don't be afraid to recommend albums. Also note that after a while the list drops into a bunch of albums I haven't listened to enough to rate confidently. Let me know if there are any of these I should particularly look out for. Any of these albums I'm particularly anticipant towards (and will likely listen to sooner) are marked with a "*".

Also any and all constructive criticism is both welcome and encouraged. I want to keep improving, and make these lists more than just your average collection of liked albums.

Created by: Lethrokai | 17.07.2015

1. Death Grips - The Powers That B
Experimental Hip-Hop - While I understood the appeal of Death Grips, I never really found myself too drawn in by their sound. Then here comes along this double album to change everything. Part 1: NOTM is the group's most subtle and experimental release yet, and has endlessly grown on me since its release back in 2014. Part 2: Jenny Death, on the flipside is a huge, in-your-face monstrosity of an album which perfectly counterbalances NOTM. Both sides of the coin bring something brand new, sonically, to not only the band's discography, but to the hip-hop scene in general. This whole thing just felt like Death Grips showing off the full extent of what they're capable of. Standout Track: Black Quarterback / Up My Sleeves (NOTM), On GP (JD). NOTM: 9.5/10. JD: 9.5/10. The Powers That B (overall): 9.6/10
2. Leprous - The Congregation
Progressive Metal - They've done it again. Atmospheric, intense, creative and filled with great musicianship (yet still manages to stay focused the whole way through)? There is not a single bad track on this album. Each song holds its own identity as Leprous continue to put the "progressive" in prog metal. Standout Track: Rewind. 9.5/10
3. Clarence Clarity - No Now
Alternative R&B / Psychedelic Glitch-Pop - "The universe unfolds?" Quite possibly the discovery of the year for me. The catchiness of great R&B mixed in with the colourful bliss of psychedelic experimentation. This is an album that knows how to catch you off guard. Standout Track: 1-800-WORSHIP. 9.3/10
4. Björk - Vulnicura
Art Pop - Genuine, heartfelt emotion intertwined with interesting songwriting. Björk is back, and releasing some of her best music in ages. Standout Track: Atom Dance. 8.9/10
5. Envy - Atheist's Cornea
Post-Rock / Screamo - Envy have provided me with some of my favourite screamo material to date, made complete with that tasteful infusion of post-rock. To this date, they remain one of the most consistent bands I know. Standout Track: Blue Moonlight 8.9/10
6. Algiers - Algiers
Post-Punk / Gospel / Blues / Industrial - It's great to know that even in 2015, artists are still finding new ways to change the game and new sounds to innovate. A brilliant fusion between the haunting, holy and honestly catchy. Standout Track: Black Eunuch. 8.8/10
7. Ben Levin Group - Freak Machine
Progressive Art Rock / Avant-Garde - A largely underappreciated gem. Chaotic yet beautiful, and knows exactly how to show it off. Also really worth seeing the live versions on Youtube. Standout Track: Freak Machine 4. 8.8/10
8. Girl Band - Holding Hands With Jamie
Post-Punk / Noise Rock - Does everything that these genres should set out to accomplish, and translates the psychological madness of life to music in explosive form. Standout Track: Paul. 8.7/10
9. Chelsea Wolfe - Abyss
Darkwave / Ethereal Wave - Chelsea Wolfe has completely established her own unique sound, and it is amazing. Can be simultaneously darker, heavier and more beautiful than most metal albums out there. Welcome to the Abyss. Standout Track: Carrion Flowers. 8.6/10
10. Jeff Rosenstock - We Cool?
Pop Punk / Indie Rock - Pop punk is back with a fiery passion. Never thought I'd end up saying that this year. Energy and passion prevails over all. Standout Track: Get Old Forever. 8.6/10
11. Wilderun - Sleep At The Edge Of The Earth
Folk Metal / Melodeath - Great folksy melodies combined with Opeth-like atmospheres and grandeur? What's not to love? Standout Track: The Garden Of Fire. 8.6/10
12. Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp A Butterfly
Conscious Hip-Hop - Well-crafted with strong cultural relevance and significance. Will probably be remembered as one of the best hip-hop albums of our time. That being said, I do still think that some tracks don't hold up as well musically as they do culturally. Starts off great and ends great, yet some of the songs in that middle area don't really catch my interest musically. Standout Track: "i". 8.6/10
13. The Dear Hunter - Act IV: Rebirth In Reprise
Progressive Indie Rock - The Dear Hunter have once again established themselves as a true standout in the flurry of largely-clean prog rock acts around the globe. The biggest difference; they make it clear that they're enjoying the process and always want to do something new. Standout Track: A Night On The Town. 8.5/10
14. Tigran Hamasyan - Mockroot
Avant-Garde Jazz Fusion / Zeuhl / Folk - Calculated yet emotional piano jazz with more than enough twists and energy to always stay interesting. Standout Track: Kars 1. 8.4/10
15. Benjamin Clementine - At Least For Now
Art Pop / Singer-Songwriter - One of the most unique voices I've heard all year. Piano-centric art pop with a slight poetic flair. 8.4/10
16. Colin Stetson & Sarah Neufeld - Never Were The Way She Was
Post-Minimalism / Modern Classical / Experimental - Peaceful yet never dull. You'll hear the patterns forever playing through your mind and never be sad that they're there. 8.4/10
17. Timbre - Sun & Moon
Chamber Folk / Classical - Two halves to something beautiful. Merry sun, serene moon, music to the ears. 8.3/10
18. Subterranean Masquerade - The Great Bazaar
Progressive Metal - Melodic, folksy, diverse and most importantly, complete. A great comeback album. I do slightly wish for the more experimental touches of Suspended Animation Dreams at points, but it's more than solid for a more focused release. 8.3/10
19. Melechesh - Enki
Melodic Black / Folk Metal - Melechesh keep at the best of their unique, signature sound and once again show they're one of the best at what they do. 8.2/10
20. Holly Herndon - Plaform
Glitch / Art Pop - Abstract enough to keep things interesting, yet with just the right amount of accessibility to keep it from going off-rails. Some of my favourite uses of vocal-splicing can be found on this album. Love it when artists take to playing with sound at its core. Also helps that I'm a sucker for good glitch. Standout Track: Chorus. 8.2/10
21. Mombu / Oddateee - Subsound Split Series # 3
Experimental Jazz-Hop - A jazzcore artist and experimental hip-hop MC walk into the bar, and that's all you really need to know. 8.2/10
22. Amnesia Scanner - Angels Rig Hook
UK Bass (Radio Play) - A clear demonstration against the laziness I've associated with the UK Bass scene. You know it's great when a radio play earns a spot among albums on an end-of-the-year list. Some of these beats are like sounds of the future; percussive, colourful and just walking that line between synthetic and organic. 8.2/10
23. Ketha - #!%16.7
Experimental Progressive Metal (EP) - Wild and heavy mathcore with some brass to boot. No complaints here. 8.2/10
24. Unrest - Grindcore
Grindcore - As accurate a title as it gets. Everything you'd want from grindcore. The vocal diversity is great too, and is probably what makes the album, besides the obvious? 8.1/10
25. Sunset In The 12th House - Mozaic
Psychedelic Post-Rock - A great example of how good instrumental post-rock is done. Ideas never grow monotonous and the music always keeps fresh by knowing exactly when and how to alter old themes, as well as bring in new ones. 8.1/10
26. Between The Buried And Me - Coma Ecliptic
Progressive Metal - BTBAM go for a cleaner, more focused release, and it works strongly in their favour. Probably one of my favourite BTBAM releases to date 8.1/10
27. Punch Brothers - The Phosphorescent Blues
Progressive Bluegrass - I'll be honest; the real meat on this album's bones are the beginning and ending tracks, which are absolutely fantastic. However, the rest of the album holds up well enough nonetheless to keep me strongly invested the whole way through. (But seriously though, listen to Familiarity and Little Lights?) Standout Track: Familiarity. 8.1/10
28. Shahmen - All In The Circle
Abstract Hip-Hop - While the gritty vocals can get a bit silly/wearing after a while, this album has some brilliant instrumentals, songwriting and lyricism, as well as a strong sense of identity to top it off. 8.1/10
29. David Maxim Micic - Eco
Progressive Metal / Electronic (EP) - If there's one thing this dual EP project has shown me, it's that I prefer DMM's more colourful, ambient and electronic experimentations over his more direct and heavy djent tracks. 8.1/10
30. Unknown Mortal Orchestra - Multi-Love
Psychedelic Pop / Neo-Psychedelia - This musical colour-bomb has some of the catchiest songs of the year. A great summer album, or just a great album if you want to feel good. 8/10
31. Brother / Ghost - Buried
Post-Rock - One-of-a-kind post-rock. Heavily down to earth, and carries a certain depressing beauty to it. Certain tracks like Satan and Cripple are absolutely beautiful, yet there are one or two tracks which feel largely like filler, and bring the album down. Standout Track: Cripple. 8/10
32. Blood Warrior - Letter Ghost
Indie Folk - Old-timey folk with some amazing instrumentation and the perfect production to support its sombre atmosphere. 8/10
33. Beach House - Depression Cherry
Dream Pop / Indie Pop - Like floating on clouds during a Cypriot sunset. Standout Track: Sparks. 8/10
34. Riverside - Love, Fear And The Time Machine
Progressive Rock - Every sound and texture of this album is like a comfy, warm-cool blanket. The music is very accurate to the artwork with this one. Great prog for comfortable winter nights in a blanket. 8/10
35. Pariso - Pariso
Hardcore Punk - A great swansong with lots of punch for Pariso. 8/10
36. Steven Wilson - Hand. Cannot. Erase.
Art Rock / Progressive Rock - With a bit of a more independent sound now, Steven Wilson's latest is probably my favourite of his solo project works to date. Still rich with classic proggy goodness, but the new electronic, trip-hop and art pop influences are gladly welcomed. 7.9/10
37. The Mountain Goats - Beat The Champ
Indie Folk - This album takes you off the top rope, hits you with a german suplex and pins you for the three count. Fun and diverse indie folk with the interesting concept of professional wrestling. 7.9/10
38. Sulphur Aeon - Gateway To The Antisphere
Death Metal - An absolutely massive album that knows exactly what it wants to get done in scope. However, the album - while massive - is still fairly expected and unadventurous. 7.9/10
39. KEN Mode - Success
Noise Rock / Post-Hardcore / Sludge Metal - If you're looking for something absolutely hard-hitting, heavy, and with a good touch of punk spirit, this is your album for the year. Consistently punchy and engaging from beginning to end. 7.9/10
40. Agent Fresco - Destrier
Art Rock / Progressive Rock / Alternative Rock - A rather unique identity established with this new spin on alternative progressive rock. Album builds a lot of steam early on, but doesn't manage to maintain that momentum with some of the later tracks. Definitely a standout though. 7.9/10
41. Dirty Shirt - Dirtylicious
Avant-Garde Metal / Folk Metal - The latest notable "crossover metal" album comes from Dirty Shirt. That being said, the crossovers on this album are notably different from the usual styles you find from this sort of scene. The band also manages to maintain a core sound of their own, which is very important. That being said, some of these tracks feel like they rely a bit too much on overused tropes within this scene. Still, a solid release. 7.9/10
42. Rishloo - Living As Ghosts With Buildings As Teeth
Progressive Rock / Alternative Metal - Rishloo know exactly what to do with their signature sound. What else is new? 7.8/10 (Also I'm aware this is technically 2014, however it was released late into the year, and was originally planned for early 2015 [but leaks happened?] so I thought it would make up to feature it on this list.)
43. Toe - Hear You
Math Rock - Toe have always been a classic example of how to create original and interesting math rock consistently, and this fact remains unchanged. Can't recall a single moment of the album which had me unengaged. Just a good ride the whole way through. All songs maintain that comfort I associate with Toe, but at the same time hold up their own identity well. Standout Track: Song Silly. 7.8/10
44. Hiatus Kaiyote - Choose Your Weapon
Neo-Soul / Alternative R&B - Lively and vibrant R&B boasting a classic sound, yet with a modern, revamped twist. 7.8/10
45. Native Construct - Quiet World
Progressive Rock / Metal - It's nice to see bands emerging in the vanilla prog metal scene which want to have a bit more fun tinkering. 7.8/10
46. The Ongoing Concept - Handmade
Metalcore - A fresh new spin on metalcore, leading to some of the catchiest tracks of the year, yet also a few rather dire songs too, unfortunately. Absolutely groovy, both in the sense of metal and dance. Just a good time. May be this year's guilty pleasure album for some, but I don't see reason to take guilt in it. Standout Track: Amends. 7.8/10
47. Ghost Ship Octavius - Ghost Ship Octavius
Progressive Power Metal - If you were let down by the new Symphony X album, give this a shot. They pull off that style incredibly well, yet still manage to keep their own identity with it. 7.8/10
48. Magma - Slag Tanz
Zeuhl - Magma doing what Magma does best. Creative Zeuhl goodness. 7.7/10
49. Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Asunder, Sweet And Other Distress
Post-Rock / Drone - Starts and ends brilliantly, but what lies in between is not quite at the same level. 7.7/10
50. Czarface - Every Hero Needs A Villain
Boom Bap / EC Hip-Hop - Very good at catching that classic urban feel. Feels nostalgic, yet still fresh with unique ideas. My main complaint however is that most songs seem to only have one sample/beat playing throughout. These beats are pretty damn good, but a little variation within songs might be nice. 7.7/10
51. Circuit Des Yeux - In Plain Speech
Alternative Singer-Songwriter - Highly creative and glistening with both ideas and execution, yet at the same time not enough of these gems have enough shine to equate them to diamonds. Still love that voice. 7.7/10
52. Arcturus - Arcturian
Avant-Garde Metal - "Look! I'm in SPAAAAAAAACE!" 7.6/10
53. A Forest Of Stars - Beware The Sword You Cannot See
Atmospheric Black Metal - At times entrancing, at others beautiful, with hints of malevolence, yet unfortunately can be tiring in large doses. 7.6/10
54. 6:33 - Deadly Scenes
Avant-Garde Metal - Think Faith No More meets Diablo Swing Orchestra meets Tim Burton? Would probably be higher if some of the songs didn't lack in the punch that they were fronting themselves on. Definitely recommended for Avant-Garde metal fans into DSO, Akphaezya and the such? 7.5/10
55. Everything Everything - Get To Heaven
Progressive Pop / Art Pop - While a select few of these tracks may be slightly grating, there is more than enough gold on this album for me to be able to say that these British prog-poppers have put themselves back on the map. Some of these songs may surprise you with their inventiveness. Standout Track: No Reptiles. 7.5/10
56. MazzSacre - +
Avant-Garde Jazz / Free Jazz - Conceptually sound, with each track being a sonically accurate representation of one of the seven deadly sins. Thankfully, the execution also carries it all the way through. All accented with a slight free jazz touch. 7.5/10
57. Sigh - Graveward
Avant-Garde Metal / Black Metal - Japan's crazy avant-black masterminds go for symphonically backed classic heavy metal with thrash riffs, neoclassical solos and the usual avant-garde madness. Yes, it is just as fun as you'd think. That being said though, I still think I prefer the proggier tones of In Somniphobia and the likes (go figure?) 7.5/10
58. Refused - Freedom
Post-Hardcore - While this return album is not nearly as revolutionary as people wanted it to be, Freedom still holds up with the unique songwriting which made Refused so iconic, only with less of the punch. 7.4/10
59. Wand - Golem
Heavy Psych / Garage Rock - Just the right mix of fuzzy, heavy and psychedelic. 7.4/10
60. Periphery - Juggernaut: Alpha & Omega
Progressive Metal / Djent - Periphery's definitely learned a good amount about songwriting over the years since their debut. However there are good number of fairly over-repeated moments on this album, and a good number of underwhelming tracks too, which bog the album down. 7.4/10
61. Carpenter Brut - Trilogy
Synthwave - A compilation of Carpenter Brut's 3 Eps, this establishes him as one of my favourite synthwave artists, even though I'm not that big a fan of the style. Colourful 80s synthwork but with some truly modern glue to hold it from being a simple cheesefest. 7.4/10
62. Elder - Lore
Psychedelic Stoner Rock - Everything you expected, but just as you wanted it. 7.4/10
63. Young Fathers - White Men Are Black Men Too
Indietronica / Abstract Hip-Hop - A real change in pace for Young Fathers, switching to a more indie sound, but not an unwelcome one. Some pretty nice ideas on this album. 7.4/10
64. Lightning Bolt - Fantasy Empire
Noise Rock / Math Rock - HIT ME! HIT ME HARD! It's fun how you can tell exactly how each drum hit was set up. 7.4/10
65. Naughty Professor - Out On A Limb
Jazz-Funk Fusion - Fun, well thought out jazz fusion which takes pride in its playful nature. 7.4/10
66. Kaitlyn Aurelia Smith - Euclid
Ambient / Indietronica - Would make for a great soundtrack to a colourful yet slightly retro walking-simulator type game, the likes of Journey or Proteus. 7.4/10
67. The Gentle Storm - The Diary
Progressive Metal - More of the good cheese, though it's clear that some of these songs really didn't need two versions. 7.4/10
68. Kamashi Washington - The Epic
Spiritual Jazz / Jazz Fusion - Pretty good all the way throughout, but I honestly can't remember most of it after multiple listens. Too little happens in too long of a run time. One of the rare instances where I feel extreme length has actually hurt an album. 7.3/10
69. Jim O'Rourke - Simple Songs
Chamber Pop / Singer-Songwriter - Classic singer-songwriter goodness. Nothing more, nothing less. 7.3/10
70. Waltari - You Are Waltari
Alternative Metal - Have some fun, why don'tcha? 7.3/10
71. Jamie XX - In Colour
UK Bass - Spacey and vibrant, yet can grow slightly same-y at points. 7.3/10
72. Arcane - Known/Learned
Progressive Rock / Metal - All-round solid prog metal. 7.3/10
73. Blur - The Magic Whip
Alternative Rock - Blur bring some pretty decent alt-rock to the table with their return album. Nothing too remarkable, but still worth a good listen. 7.2/10
74. Degiheugi - Endless Smile
Trip-Hop / Instrumental Hip-Hop - French trip-hop for feel-good beachside jams. A good listen if you want some background music for that smile on your face. 7.2/10
75. Marilyn Manson - The Pale Emperor
Alternative Rock - Manson goes alternative, and the results are pretty solid. Some of his best work in years. 7.2/10
76. Ciccada - The Finest Of Miracles
Progressive Rock - Colourful, folksy prog rock from Greece. Solid instrumentation, yet perhaps with something missing in the production department. 7.2/10
77. Knxwledge - Hud Dreams
Instrumental Glitch-Hop - An overall solid beat-tape which is unfortunately held back most by what it is. Very few of these beats are subpar, yet the album never does anything more with them. Great for some urban style background music though. 7.2/10
78. Ceschi - Broken Bone Ballads
Abstract Hip-Hop - Good beats for a hip-hop album, as well as an unusually good and large amount of singing on it. Yet the content matter of the lyrics are very predictable in regards to a rebellious spirit. The album wears after a while? 7.2/10
79. The Parlor Mob - Cry Wolf
Alternative Rock / Hard Rock - An interesting enough take on the alternative hard rock sound, with vocals that sound like a fusion of The Mars Volta and Rush. 7.1/10
80. Death Grips - Fashion Week
Instrumental Hip-Hop - Noisey, experimental runway beats. Some will definitely strike your fancy more than others. 7.1/10
81. Paradise Lost - The Plague Within
Gothic Doom Metal 7.1/10 - One album I really haven't managed to understand the hype behind. Decent, yet unremarkable.
82. Earl Sweatshirt - I Don't Like Shit, I Don't Go Outside
Abstract Hip-Hop - Laid back yet seriously contemplating? 7.1/10
83. Föllakzoid - III
Krautrock / Psychedelic Space Rock - Drifting, drifting, slowly drifting into that peaceful black hole. 7/10
84. Cal Chuchesta - The New CALassic
Parody Rap - It's an odd conundrum when rating an album where the main focus is deliberately trying to be bad. In the end however, I decided to rate this one based on how much it got a chuckle out of me, and the answer is "pretty often". If you like the character of Cal Chuchesta, you'll enjoy this. If you don't, then don't bother. 7/10
85. Symphony X - Underworld
Progressive Power Metal - While the band still has its signature kick going for it and its sound still holds strong, a lot of the ideas here feel very? same-y. If you like post-Paradise Lost SX, chances are you'll enjoy this. I don't find either to really be anything remarkable though. Good but unmemorable. 6.9/10
86. Open Mike Eagle - A Special Episode Of
Abstract Hip-Hop (EP) - Though "Dark Comedy Late Show" and "Ziggy Starfish" are two of his all-time best songs to date, every other song on this EP is really lacking by OME's standards. Do check out the two mentioned tracks though. 6.9/10
87. BADBADNOTGOOD & Ghostface Killah - Sour Soul
Jazz-Rap - I was very excited for this album, however one thing it's made clear to me is that BADBADNOTGOOD are far more interesting as their own thing than as a backing band, and Ghostface honestly hasn't struck my fancy much as a solo artist in the first place. This album did little to change that. 6.9/10
88. Dr. Dre - Compton
West Coast Hip-Hop - A less than impressive return for Dr. Dre. Ambitious in scope, but lacklustre in execution. 6.8/10
89. Faith No More - Sol Invictus
Alternative Metal - It's more Faith No More, but nothing remarkable as far as comebacks go. Can see some of these tracks really sticking though. 6.8/10
90. Muse - Drones
Alternative Rock - Overall, a very average Muse album with some of the biggest highs (Defector / Reapers) and lows (Revolt / Psycho) of the band's recent career. Standout Track: Reapers. 6.7/10
91. Joey Bada$$ - B4.DA.$$
Boom Bap / EC Hip-Hop - Interesting beats, but overall unremarkable. 6.7/10
92. Guapo - Obscure Knowledge
RIO / Avant-Prog - While each instrument's individual performance was impressive, there just seems to unfortunately be a bit too much pointless meandering to really hold my attention for long. 6.6/10
93. Sleater Kinney - No Cities To Love
Indie Rock - Female fronted indie rock that wants to be a standout album, yet doesn't quite do enough with its songwriting chops to push beyond that bar. Has a number of pretty solid tracks though. 6.5/10
94. Dødheimsgard - A Umbra Omega
Avant-Black Metal - Holds interesting experimentation, but doesn't really match that interest with the overall songwriting and the vocals, while unique, don't really fit the tone all that well. 6.4/10
95. The Pop Group - Citizen Zombie
Post-Punk / Experimental Rock - It has its moments, but is ultimately made up of rather dull and droning songs. 6.4/10
96. Mew - - +
Progressive Pop / Dream Pop - Less proggy, less experimental, more cutesy and streamlined? Yeah, it's needless to say this one didn't impress me as much as some of their previous stuff. 6.3/10
97. Dawn Richard - Blackheart
Electronic / R&B / Soul - A really promising opening which is annoyingly discarded, but with hints of the gold still remaining. At its best when being vibrant and unpredictable, yet hits some rather annoying lows with generic electronic R&B tracks too. 6.3/10
98. Moon Duo - Shadow Of The Sun
Neo-Psychedelia / Space Rock - While it starts off with a great opening track, the rest of the album falls into an unfortunately repetitive monotony. 6.2/10
99. Viet Cong - Viet Cong
Post-Punk - Some would argue that this album "does the usual post-punk sound greatly". I would argue that it just does the usual post-punk sound. It just feels very run-of-the-mill? 6/10
100. Sammal - Myrskyvaroitus
Progressive Rock / Heavy Psych - While it has a lot of interesting stylings going for it that could push it into an exceptional release, the overall songwriting is highly unremarkable. 5.9/10
101. Liturgy (US-NY) - The Ark Work
Experimental Rock / Avant-Garde Metal - Uhh? it's interesting, I guess. Definitely a lot of creative ideas with incredibly high potential. But even if you have some of the world's best eggs, you can't make an omelette if you plan on cooking it in a microwave. 5.7/10
102. Carly Rae Jepsen - E·MO·TION - It's alright I guess? It's decent as far as mainstream pop albums go, but I really don't get the hype many have been expressing for this one. 5.6/10
103. Oneohtrix Point Never - Commissions II
Progressive Electronic / Plunderphonics (EP) - Some rather interesting ideas which unfortunately never manage to escape being more than abstractions. 5.5/10
104. Mark Ronson - Uptown Special
Synth Funk / Nu Disco - Our one-hit-wonder album for 2015. It tries yet just misses the mark on numerous different approaches. 5.4/10
105. Purity Ring - Another Eternity
Synth Pop - Just rather bland, bass-heavy, trap-happy, female-vocal synth pop. Not exactly the first (or last) time we've heard this. Might be fun if it wasn't so formulaic. 5.2/10
106. Future - Dirty Sprite 2
Trap Rap - Everything wrong with trap in a nutshell. Thankfully there are a few gems here that make up for how dire everything else is? 5.1/10
107. Neal Morse - The Grand Experiment
Progressive Rock - Same prog, different day. I swear I said this about some other album last year too? hmm? 5.1/10
108. Panda Bear - Panda Bear Meets The Devil
Psychedelic Pop / Neo-Psychedelia - It really bugs me when insanely creative individuals do little with that creativity. This is an even more bland rendition of the same formula Panda Bear's been putting out for years now. There's something of interest lying in the bones of this one, but when you only really enjoy one song out of thirteen (Boys Latin), and the rest falls into a somewhat monotonous haze, there's little else that can honestly be said. 5/10
109. Neu Balance - Rubber Sole WEB
Ambient House - Quite bouncy at first, but quickly falls repetitive. 4.8/10
110. Miley Cyrus - Miley Cyrus & Her Dead Petz
Psychedelic Pop - I can appreciate it when mainstream artists attempt to go against the grain. Just? not like this. There's good potential here, but very little of it is actually utilised in exchange for a juvenile "fuck the police and do drugs" mentality. 4.8/10
111. Pissgrave - Suicide Euphoria
Deatharrhoea - Some pretty decent metal buried under horrific production which makes the album sound as shitty as the cover looks. There's adding some filth to your production, and there's this. I guess I'd recommend it for you people who like your growls to sound like muffled toilet noises though. 4.5/10
112. Portico - Living Fields
Downtempo - I'm perfectly fine with bands and artists changing up their sound entirely, however what you never want to hear is a band who were plenty good at what they do completely change up to a style in which they perform far below the standard. While this album tries to be ambient, how it feels is void. This album feels like a one trick pony, but the trick was playing dead. 4.4/10
113. Lil Dicky - Professional Rapper
Comedy Rap - Hip-Hop for people who don't know hip-hop, with little else to offer. He sort of (?) hits the mark on that, but you can immediately tell this isn't an album made for the music scene. So dire? At least the title track is clever though. 3.9/10
114. ALBUMS I NEED MORE LISTENS TO RATE - PLEASE SUGGEST WHAT I SHOULD LISTEN TO FIRST
115. Abyssal - Antikatastaseis
Blackened Death Metal
116. The Acorn - Vieux Loop
Indie Folk
117. Action Bronson - Mr Wonderful
EC Hip-Hop
118. Ad Nauseam - Nihil Quam Vacuitas Ordinatum Est
Technical Death Metal / Avant-Garde Metal
119. Ahab - The Boats Of The Glen Carrig
Funeral Doom / Atmospheric Sludge Metal
120. Akhlys - The Dreaming I
Black Metal
121. Alabama Shakes - Sound And Color
Southern Rock / Blues Rock
122. Alameda 5 - Duch Tornada
Pyschedelic Rock / Post-Rock
123. Alkaloid - The Malkuth Grimoire
Progressive Tech-Death
124. All Tomorrows - Sol Agnates
Progressive Death Metal
125. Alva Noto - Xerrox Vol. 3
Ambient / Glitch *
126. Amorphis - Under The Red Cloud
Progressive Metal
127. And So I Watch You From Afar - Heirs
Post-Rock / Math Rock
128. Anekdoten - Until All Ghosts Are Gone
Progressive Rock
129. Antigama - The Insolent
Grindcore
130. The Apartments - No Song, No Spell, No Madrigal
Chamber Pop
131. Archivist - Archivist
Blackgaze / Post-Metal
132. Arenna - Given To Emptiness
Heavy Psych / Stoner Rock
133. The Armed - Untitled
Hardcore Punk / Mathcore *
134. Ash Koosha - GUUD
IDM / Glitch
135. August Burns Red - Found In Far Away Places
Metalcore
136. An Autumn For Crippled Children - The Long Goodbye
Blackgaze
137. Ayyuka - Sömestr
Anatolian Rock
138. Beardfish - +4626-COMFORTZONE
Progressive Rock
139. Ben Zimmerman - The Baltika Years
Experimental Electronic
140. Big Blood - Double Days II
Psychedelic Avant-Folk
141. Bilal - In Another Life
Neo-Soul / Psychedelic Soul
142. Billy Woods - Today, I Wrote Nothing
Abstract / Hardcore East-Coast Hip-Hop
143. Blanck Mass - Dumb Flesh
Electro-Industrial
144. Blind Guardian - Beyond The Red Mirror
Symphonic Power Metal
145. Bong - We Are, We Were And We Will Have Been
Drone *
146. Boris - Asia
Drone Metal / Harsh Noise
147. Boris - Urban Dance
Noise
148. Boris - Warpath
Drone
149. Bosse-De-Nage - All Fours
Atmospheric Black Metal / Post-Hardcore *
150. Built To Spill - Untethered Moon
Indie Rock
151. Cain's Offering - Stormcrow
Power Metal
152. Carlos Forster - Disasters
Electronic / Dark Ambient / Art Pop
153. Cattle Decapitation - The Anthropocene Extinction
Deathgrind
154. Christian Fitness - Love Letters In The Age Of Steam
Post-Hardcore / Noise Rock
155. Cloud Rat - Qliphoth
Grindcore *
156. Corpo-Mente - Corpo-Mente
Avant-Garde *
157. Corpse Garden - Entheogen
Tech-Death
158. Courtney Barnett - Sometimes I Sit And Think, And Sometimes I Just Sit
Alt. Indie Rock
159. Courtney Swain - Monstre
Art Pop / Singer-Songwriter
160. C R O W N - Natron
Industrial Sludge Metal
161. Dan Mangan + Blacksmith - Club Meds
Indie Rock
162. Dan Terminus - The Wrath Of Code
Synthwave
163. Dance Gavin Dance - Instant Gratification
Post-Hardcore
164. Daniel Norgren - Alabursy
Folk *
165. David Maxim Micic - Ego
Djent / Progressive Metal (EP)
166. Death Engine - Mud
Hardcore / Post-Hardcore
167. Death Karma - The History Of Death & Burial Rituals Part I
Black Metal / Death Metal *
168. Defeater - Abandoned
Melodic Hardcore Punk
169. Dekadent - Veritas
Melodic Black Metal / Progressive Metal / Blackgaze
170. Desolate Shrine - The Heart Of The Netherworld
Death Metal / Doom Metal
171. Destroyer - Poison Season
Chamber Pop
172. Dew-Scented - Intermination
Death Metal / Thrash Metal
173. Diane Coffee - Everybody's a Good Dog
Glam Rock / Art Rock
174. Die Like Gentlemen - Five Easy Lies
Progressive Sludge Metal
175. Disappears - Irreal
Post-Punk / Experimental Rock
176. DJ Mastercard - Virtual Crime
Footwork / Wonky
177. Donnie Trumpet & The Social Experiment - Surf
Neo-Soul / Pop Rap
178. Down I Go - You're Lucky God, That I Cannot Reach You
Mathcore
179. Dreadnought - Bridging Realms
Progressive Black Metal
180. Dumbsaint - Panorama, In Ten Pieces
Progressive Metal / Post-Rock / Doom Metal / Film Score
181. Dystopia Na - Dweller on the Threshold
Blackgaze / Post-Metal
182. Earth's Yellow Sun - The Infernal Machine
Saxaphone Djent
183. Enslaved - In Times
Progressive Metal / Black Metal
184. Enter Shikari - The Mindsweep
Trancecore *
185. Eric La Casa / Taku Unami - Parazoan Mappings
Field Recordings / Musique Concrete
186. Facemeat - Questions For Men
Jazzcore / Avant-Garde Metal
187. Father John Misty - I Love You Honeybear
Indie Folk / Singer-Songwriter
188. FKA Twigs - M3LL155X
Art Pop / Alternative R&B (EP)
189. Flako - Natureboy
Instrumental Hip-Hop
190. Florence + The Machine - How Big, How Blue, How Beautiful
Art Pop
191. Ghost - Meliora
Heavy Metal
192. Ghost Bath - Moonlover
Blackgaze / Depressive Black Metal *
193. Gnaw Their Tongues - Abyss Of Longing Throats
Experimental Black Metal / Avant-Black Metal
194. Goblin - Loveless, Loreless, Lost
Metal Folk
195. Health - Death Magic
Synth Punk / Electropop
196. The Helio Sequence - The Helio Sequence
Indie Rock / Neo-Psychedelia
197. High On Fire - Luminiferous
Stoner Metal / Sludge Metal *
198. The Hirsch Effect - Holon : Agnosie
Progressive Metal / Avant-Garde Metal
199. Hop Along - Painted Shut
Indie Rock
200. Hot Chip - Why Make Sense?
Synth Pop / Indietronica
201. IAMSONOUNCANE - Die
Electronic / Neo-Psychedelia
202. the i.l.y's - I've always been good at true love
Noise Rock / Synth-Punk
203. Injury Reserve - Live From The Dentist Office
Hip-Hop
204. Internet Goddess Shinatama - The Unified Consciousness
Vaporwave
205. Izah - Sistere
Sludge Metal / Post-Metal
206. Jaga Jazzist - Starfire
Nu Jazz / Post-Rock
207. Jeff Bridges - Sleeping Tapes
Spoken Word / Ambient / Field Recordings
208. Jefre Cantu-Ledesma - A Year With 13 Moons
Ambient / Drone / Noise
209. Jenny Hval - Apocalypse, Girl
Art Pop *
210. Jessica Pratt - On Your Own Love Again
Contemporary Folk *
211. Julia Holter - Have You In My Wilderness
Chamber Pop / Art Pop
212. Kalpa - Sequences*
Atmospheric Sludge Metal
213. Kamelot - Haven
Symphonic Metal / Prog-Power
214. The Kandinsky Effect - Somnambulist
Experimental Jazz Fusion
215. Kekal - Multilateral
Experimental Metal
216. Kingcrow - Eidos
Progressive Metal
217. KOGNITIF - Soul Food
Experimental Hip-Hop / Soul
218. Konntinent - The Empire Line
Ambient
219. Kontinuum - Kyrr
Post-Metal
220. Kuniko Kato - Iannis Xenaki: IX
Stochastic Music / Modern Classical / Minimalism
221. La Luz - Weirdo Shrine
Surf Rock / Indie Rock
222. Lamb Of God - VII: Sturm Und Drang
Groove Metal
223. Lapalux - Lustmore
Wonky / Alternative R&B
224. Lau Nau - HEM. Någonstans
Drone / Avant-Folk
225. Laura Marling - Short Movie
Indie Folk / Singer-Songwriter
226. Lee Bannon - Pattern Of Excel
Experimental Electronic
227. Leviathan - Scar Sighted
Black Metal *
228. Liam Hayes - Slurrup
Indie Pop / Psychedelic Pop
229. Lianne La Havas - Blood
Pop Soul
230. Lights & Motion - Chronicle
Post-Rock / Ambient
231. Lil Ugly Mane - Third Side Of Tape
Experimental Hip-Hop *
232. Linkwood - Expressions
Deep House
233. Locrian - Infinite Dissolution
Experimental Post-Metal
234. Lonelady - Hinterland
Alternative Dance / Post-Punk
235. Lupe Fiasco - Tetsuo & Youth
Conscious Hip-Hop
236. Mac DeMarco - Another One
Jangle Pop / Psychedelic Pop
237. Madeon - Adventure
Electro-House
238. Magic Pie - King For A Day
Progressive Rock
239. Makaya McCraven - In The Moment
Jazz
240. Mamaleek - Via Dolorosa
Experimental Black Metal
241. Matana Roberts - Coin Coin Chapter Three: River Run Thee
Avant-Garde Jazz
242. Mechina - Acheron
Symphonic Metal / Cyber Metal
243. Metallic Taste Of Blood - Doctoring The Dead
Progressive Metal
244. METZ - II
Noise Rock / Post-Hardcore
245. mewithoutYou - Pale Horses
Indie Rock / Post-Hardcore
246. Mikal Cronin - MCIII
Power Pop
247. Modest Mouse - Strangers To Ourselves
Indie Rock
248. Monolord - Vænir
Stoner Doom
249. Morti Viventear - Trip de boucles piquées
Instrumental Trip-Hop
250. Mount Eerie - Sauna
Avant-Folk / Drone
251. Muck - Your Joyous Future
Noise Rock / Punk Rock *
252. Mutoid Man - Bleeder
Stoner Rock / Post-Hardcore
253. Naïve - Altra
Alternative Progressive Metal
254. Napalm Death - Apex Predator - Easy Meat
Grindcore / Deathgrind
255. Natalia LaFourcade - Hasta la Raíz
Chamber Pop / Folk Pop *
256. Natalie Prass - Natalie Prass
Pop Soul / Chamber Pop
257. Negură Bunget - Tău
Atmospheric Black Metal / Progressive Metal
258. Nicolas Jaar - Pomegranates
Experimental Ambient / Microhouse / IDM
259. Nigel & The Dropout - Folderal
Indie Dance Rock
260. Nightwish - Endless Forms Most Beautiful
Symphonic Metal
261. Nils Frahm - Solo
Modern Classical *
262. Nocturnal Depression - Spleen Black Metal
Depressive Black Metal
263. Noveller - Fantastic Planet
Ambient
264. Oddisee - The Good Fight
Conscious Hip-Hop
265. of Montreal - Aureate Gloom
Indie Rock / Neo-Psychedelia
266. Orakle - Éclats
Avant-Garde Metal / Atmospheric Black Metal
267. Other Lives - Rituals
Chamber Pop
268. Ought - Sun Coming Down
Post-Punk / Art Punk
269. Öxxö Xööx - Nämïdäë
Avant-Garde / Doom Metal *
270. Ozric Tentacles - Technicians of the Sacred
Progressive Space Rock
271. Paradis - Couleurs Primaires
House
272. Paul De Jong - IF
Genre-Mash
273. Pinkshinyultrablast - Everything Else Matters
Shoegaze / Noise Pop
274. Pocket Panda - This Arrangement of Molecules
Indie Folk
275. Prurient - Frozen Niagra Falls
Industrial / Noise
276. Pryapisme - Futurologie
Experimental Metal
277. Psudoku - Planetarisk Sudoku
Avant-Grind / Avant-Garde Metal
278. Pyramids - A Northern Meadow
Blackgaze / Atmospheric Black Metal
279. Quelle Chris - Innocent Country
Abstract Hip-Hop
280. Quiet Child - If Only You Had Seen Me
Progressive Rock
281. Ratatat - Magnifique
Indietronica
282. Ricky Eat Acid - Mixtape
Ambient / Plunderphonics (Mixtape)
283. Roomful of Teeth - Render
Abstract Choral Music / Modern Classical
284. Royal Hunt - Devil's Dozen
Progressive Power Metal
285. Selma - Phoenix
Post-Metal / Sludge Metal
286. Serph - Hyperion Suites
IDM / Glitch
287. Shape Of Despair - Monotony Fields
Funeral Doom
288. Skip & Die - Cosmic Serpents
Electropop
289. Slaraffenland - Slow Waves
Alternative
290. Solefald - World Metal. Kosmopolis Sud
Avant-Garde Metal
291. Sorority Noise - Joy, Departed
Indie Rock / Emo
292. Soul Secret - 4
Progressive Metal
293. Squarepusher - Damogen Furies
Drill'n'Bass / IDM
294. Steve Gunn & The Black Twin Pickers - Seasonal Hire
Old-Time / Traditional Folk *
295. Steve Hackett - Wolflight
Progressive Rock
296. Sufjan Stevens - Carrie & Lowell
Indie Folk *
297. Susanne Sundfør - Ten Love Songs
Art Pop
298. Suuns And Jerusalem In My Heart - Suuns And Jerusalem In My Heart
Avant-Folk / Post-Rock / Krautrock)
299. Sylvan - Home
Progressive Rock / Metal
300. Tame Impala - Currents
Psychedelic Pop / Synth Pop
301. The Tallest Man On Earth - Dark Bird Is Home
Contemporary Folk / Singer-Songwriter
302. Tempel - The Moon Lit Our Path
Atmospheric Sludge Metal / Extreme Progressive Metal
303. Tengger Cavalry - Blood Sacrifice Shaman
Folk Metal / Melodeath *
304. Tengil - SIX
Post-Hardcore / Alternative Rock / Dark
305. Thee Oh Sees - Mutilator Defeated At Last
Psychedelic Garage Rock
306. THEESatisfaction - EarthEE
Alternative R&B / Neo-Soul
307. This Is Turin - Cercis
Progressive Deathcore
308. Titus Andronicus - The Most Lamentable Tragedy
Indie Punk
309. Toundra - IV
Post-Rock / Atmospheric Sludge Metal
310. Tribulation - The Children Of The Night
Blackened Death Metal
311. Tricot - A N D
Math Rock
312. Turzi - C
Psychedelic Space Rock / Krautrock
313. Ufomammut - Ecate
Psychedelic Sludge Metal / Stoner Doom
314. The Unthanks - Mount The Air
Contemporary Chamber Folk *
315. Vampillia & Lustmord - Vampillia Meets Lustmord
Dark Ambient / Modern Classical / Avant-Garde (Collab.)
316. Vampillia & World's End Girlfriend - Voices Of Days Past
Modern Classical / Poemcore * (Collab.)
317. Vampillia + The Body - xoroAHbin
Avant-Garde / Noise * (Collab.
318. Venetian Snares - Your Face
Breakcore
319. Vinterriket - Hinweg
Dark Ambient
320. Violet Cold - Desperate Dreams
Blackgaze / Atmospheric Black Metal *
321. The Virtue of Vice - LIFE: As A Result Of Consciousness
Avant-Garde Metal / Psychedelic Rock
322. Vultures Of Cult - Bitter Gloom On A Golden Dawn
Stoner / Sludge / Doom Metal
323. The Weather Station - Loyalty
Contemporary Folk
324. Wildhoney - Sleep Through It
Dream Pop / Shoegaze
325. William Basinski - Cascade
Ambient / Minimalism / Tape Music
326. William Ryan Fritch - Revisionist
Avant-Folk
327. Winter Villains - Once There Were Sparks, Now There Are Ashes
Chamber Pop / Post-Rock
328. The Wonder Years - No Closer To Heaven
Pop Punk
329. Your Old Droog - Kinison EP
EC Hip-Hop (EP)
330. Zatokrev - Silk Spiders Underwater...
Sludge Metal
331. Zs - Xe
Experimental Rock
332. Zu - Cortar Todo
Noise Rock / Avant-Garde Metal
333. Zun Zun Egui - Shackles Gift
Progressive Psychedelic Rock
334. 暴君 (Bloody Tyrant) - 水沙漣傳奇
Melodic Black Metal / Folk Metal
335. 1099 - Young Pines
Post-Rock
336. 2814 - 新しい日の誕生
Vaporwave / Ambient *

Disclaimer: All top lists are unofficial and do not represent the point of view of the MS Staff.
[ More lists by Lethrokai ]

Comments

‹‹ Back to Lists
Comments: 18   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 77 users
17.07.2015 - 16:16
Lethrokai

Well here we go folks, may the madness of 2015 begin. Let me know if any of these albums caught your eye, and recommend a few to perhaps catch mine.
----
Sometimes you just need to roll the dice and look away.
23.07.2015 - 19:32
Lethrokai

EARLY UPDATE:

Since I've managed to listen to a solid bunch these past few days, I thought I'd put down these ratings/reviews while they're still fresh in my mind, so just a small update this time around.

RATED:
Envy | Atheist's Cornea - 8.9/10
Dirty Shirt | Dirtylicious - 7.8/10
Czarface | Every Hero Needs A Villain - 7.7/10
Kaitlyn Aurelia Smith | Euclid - 7.4/10
Future | Dirty Sprite 2 - 5.1/10

MOVED

Periphery | Juggernaut (DOWN)

----------------------------------

As per usual, let me know which of the albums I haven't given enough listens to yet I should check out first.
----
26.07.2015 - 06:00
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Chop about 150 albums off this list and we can talk...
----
rekt
26.07.2015 - 10:22
Lethrokai

Written by tea[m]ster on 26.07.2015 at 06:00

Chop about 150 albums off this list and we can talk...

To be fair, only about 80 of these have actually been rated so far. The rest are moreso a note to myself as to what I need to get around to listening to, and a fun way to get the folk here involved in that decision.
----
26.07.2015 - 17:39
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Written by Lethrokai on 26.07.2015 at 10:22

and a fun way to get the folk here involved in that decision.

Listen to #223 ASAP.
----
rekt
26.07.2015 - 17:40
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Written by Lethrokai on 26.07.2015 at 10:22

and a fun way to get the folk here involved in that decision.

Listen to #223 ASAP.
----
rekt
27.07.2015 - 18:13
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
#97 and #223 are really good, if you like post metal
----
rekt
28.07.2015 - 14:46
Lethrokai

Written by tea[m]ster on 27.07.2015 at 18:13

#97 and #223 are really good, if you like post metal

Written by Guest on 26.07.2015 at 17:41

Can vouch for #223 ^.^

Noted. I can't say much for Archivist yet, but I'm pretty certain that Sunset In The 12th House will be rated by the next update.
----
05.08.2015 - 23:40
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Waiting for the next update
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?
06.08.2015 - 13:02
Lethrokai

Written by RaduP on 05.08.2015 at 23:40

Yeah, I've been insanely busy with work lately so I haven't had much time to really get into more new music. Mostly just been listening to Charles Mingus albums in the background.

I'll keep the updates coming nonetheless, but as of late I really haven't gotten through enough new stuff to make a worthy update.
----
23.09.2015 - 20:20
Lethrokai

Written by RaduP on 05.08.2015 at 23:40

The wait is over.
----
23.09.2015 - 20:21
Lethrokai

ULTRA-SUPER-MEGA UPDATE:

You guys have no idea how much trouble it's been actually getting round to doing this.
Anyway, this year has obviously been goddamn amazing so far; probably one of the best years of all-around music we've seen in a good while. So many albums this year which have just caught me and took me for a ride...

Also I'm planning on introducing a new feature which I thought would help people get into checking out new albums from here. If there are any albums which have what I'd consider a "must-listen" on them, I'm going to bring that track up under the label of "Standout Track". What do you think of this?

RATED:

Girl Band | Holding Hands With Jamie - 8.7/10
Chelsea Wolfe | Abyss - 8.6/10
The Dear Hunter | Act IV: Rebirth In Reprise - 8.5/10
Holly Herndon | Plaform - 8.2/10
Amnesia Scanner | Angels Rig Hook - 8.2/10
Sunset In The 12th House | Mozaic - 8.1/10
David Maxim Micic | Eco (EP) - 8.1/10
Pariso | Pariso - 8/10
Brother / Ghost | Buried - 8/10
Beach House | Depression Cherry - 8/10
Riverside | Love, Fear and the Time Machine - 8/10
KEN Mode | Success - 7.9/10
Agent Fresco | Destrier - 7.9/10
Toe | Hear You - 7.8/10
Ghost Ship Octavius | Ghost Ship Octavius - 7.8/10
Circuit Des Yeux | In Plain Speech - 7.7/10
MazzSacre | + - 7.5/10
Refused | Freedom - 7.4/10
Carpenter Brut | Trilogy (Compilation) - 7.4/10
Degiheugi | Endless Smile - 7.2/10
Ceschi | Broken Bone Ballads - 7.2/10
Symphony X | Underworld - 7.1/10
Cal Chuchesta | The New CALassic - 7/10
Symphony X | Underworld - 6.9/10
Dr. Dre | Compton - 6.9/10
Carly Rae Jepsen | E·MO·TION - 5.6/10
Oneohtrix Point Never | Commissions II (EP) - 5.4/10
Miley Cyrus | Miley Cyrus & Her Dead Petz - 4.8/10
Pissgrave | Suicide Euphoria - 4.5/10
Lil Dicky | Professional Rapper - 3.9/10

MOVED:

Kendrick Lamar | To Pimp A Butterfly (UP)
Tigran Hamasyan | Mockroot (DOWN)
Punch Brothers | The Phosphorescent Blues (UP)
Dirty Shirt | Dirtylicious (UP)

ADDED:

Abyssal | Antikatastaseis
Ad Nauseam | Nihil Quam Vacuitas Ordinatum Est
Agent Fresco | Destrier
Ahab | The Boats of The Glen Carrig
Akhlys | The Dreaming I
Amnesia Scanner | Angels Rig Hook (Radio Play)
Amorphis | Under The Red Cloud
August Burns Red | Found In Far Away Places
Beach House | Depression Cherry
Ben Zimmerman | The Baltika Years
Bilal | In Another Life
Cal Chuchesta | The New CALassic
Cattle Decapitation | The Anthropocene Extinction
Chelsea Wolfe | Abyss
Christian Fitness | Love Letters In The Age Of Steam
C R O W N | Natron
David Maxim Micic | Ego (EP)
David Maxim Micic | Eco (EP)
The Dear Hunter | Act IV: Rebirth In Reprise
Defeater | Abandoned
Destroyer | Poison Season
Diane Coffee | Everybody's a Good Dog
Die Like Gentlemen | Five Easy Lies
DJ Mastercard | Virtual Crime
Down I Go | You're Lucky God, That I Cannot Reach You
Dr. Dre | Compton
Dreadnought | Bridging Realms
Dumbsaint | Panorama, in ten pieces
Dystopia Na | Dweller on the Threshold
Earth's Yellow Sun | The Infernal Machine
Eric La Casa / Taku Unami | Parazoan Mappings
Facemeat | Questions For Men
FKA Twigs | M3LL155X (EP)
Ghost | Meliora
Girl Band | Holding Hands With Jamie
Gnaw Their Tongues | Abyss of Longing Throats
Goblin | Loveless, Loreless, Lost
Health | Death Magic
The Hirsch Effect | Holon : Agnosie
IAMSONOUNCANE | Die
Injury Reserve | Live From The Dentist Office
Julia Holter | Have You In My Wilderness
Kekal | Multilateral
Kingcrow | Eidos
La Luz | Weirdo Shrine
Lamb Of God | VII: Sturm und Drang
Lapalux | Lustmore
Lau Nau | HEM. Någonstans
Lee Bannon | Pattern Of Excel
Lianne La Havas | Blood
Locrian | Infinite Dissolution
Lonelady | Hinterland
Madeon | Adventure
Mac DeMarco | Another One
MazzSacre | +
Metallic Taste Of Blood | Doctoring The Dead
Mutoid Man | Bleeder
Other Lives | Rituals
Ought | Sun Coming Down
Pariso | Pariso
Psudoku | Planetarisk Sudoku
Quelle Chris | Innocent Country
Quiet Child | If Only You Had Seen Me
Ratatat | Magnifique
Riverside | Love, Fear and the Time Machine
Royal Hunt | Devil's Dozen
Selma | Phoenix
Symphony X | Underworld
Tame Impala | Currents
Tempel | The Moon Lit Our Path
Tengil | SIX
This Is Turin | Cercis
Toe | Hear You
Tricot | A N D
Vampillia & Lustmord | Vampillia Meets Lustmord (Collab.)
Venetian Snares | Your Face (EP)
Vinterriket | Hinweg
The Wonder Years | No Closer To Heaven

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As per usual, let me know which of the albums from the second part of the list I should listen to and rate.

Now, if you don't mind, I'm going to pass out for a bit.
----
23.09.2015 - 20:51
Nimlot
A. Reader
Glad to see The Dear Hunter taking a high spot on your list, Leth, but Kendrick Lamar, just above it is perplexing. I don't see the appeal. Beyond his obviously superior beats compared to the musically bankrupt majority of popular rap, represented by the likes of Rick Ross and Drake, his lyrics seem unremarkable. Could you give me some pointers that would clear up why Kendrick is so highly regarded?

Other than that, I'm curious about your thoughts on Beardfish's latest offering and will be looking forward to your next update.
23.09.2015 - 21:56
Lethrokai

Written by Nimlot on 23.09.2015 at 20:51

Glad to see The Dear Hunter taking a high spot on your list, Leth, but Kendrick Lamar, just above it is perplexing. I don't see the appeal. Beyond his obviously superior beats compared to the musically bankrupt majority of popular rap, represented by the likes of Rick Ross and Drake, his lyrics seem unremarkable. Could you give me some pointers that would clear up why Kendrick is so highly regarded?

Other than that, I'm curious about your thoughts on Beardfish's latest offering and will be looking forward to your next update.

Honestly for me, TDH's and Kendrick's new albums are around the same level of quality, and one month ago I probably would have had TDH's album above Kendrick's since a recent listen helped a few tracks I wasn't really feeling click with me.

As for why Kendrick is so highly regarded, I'm actually in a similar camp as you. I don't think he's the absolute messiah a lot of hip-hop fans make him out to be, but at the same time this is one album I do understand the hype behind, even if I don't feel the full extent of that hype myself (else it would probably be sitting in the top 3). But I'll try to explain anyway.

The first part of it is what you stated; Kendrick clearly has superior beats and backing to every single other artist in the mainstream. The guy clearly gives equal focus to the music as he does the rapping.

Second is what he stands for. A lot of rappers have tackled issues of violence, the ghetto, gangs, racism, success and all that stuff. Few however, have done so as eloquently and in as much depth as Kendrick did with this album. For example, take The Blacker The Berry. At first glance this seems to be a pretty by the books rant on the racist way in which the black community is viewed by many, as well as a declaration of pride for simply being black. Throughout the song he repeatedly talks of how police are constantly prejudicing against black citizens, unnecessarily gunning many down when it could easily be prevented. And this is what is generally expected from hip-hop artists of his like. However, at the beginning of each verse from the song he notes "I'm the biggest hypocrite of 2015", and it's only in the final verse that this statement gains meaning, as he brings up the contradiction within his own logic throughout the song, asking how does he have the right to riot over the death of individuals like Trayvon Martin when black gangbangers (such as the character he takes on) are pointlessly gunning down just as many black citizens every day. He flips the entire song on its head and does what is rarely seen by hip-hop artist, he creates an open-ended argument which could be rightfully taken either way. And it's through this kind of argumentation in which Kendrick earns the spotlight as not just an artist but also an icon.

There's also the matter of his wordplay in general, which is pretty fun. My favourite example of this is "For Free?" When I first heard this song I thought it was laughably bad (even though I loved his flow) because upon first glance it sounded like a simple lovers' spat in which he was pulling out every sex joke in the book. (Shoutouts to "This. Dick. Ain't. Freeeeeeeee") However the entire argument holds a secondary meaning between America and the black man, in which they're talking about who has control in the relationship and both are constantly fighting to overpower the other. Most of these tracks hold some kind of similar wordplay.

But yeah, as for why I enjoy the album, I'll just say this. The beginning 6 tracks and the ending 4 tracks are, in my opinion, the best hip-hop album to ever hit the mainstream. They're incredibly clever, with highly unique music and a clear passion and creativity demonstrated by Kendrick throughout. If it wasn't for the 5 tracks in the middle, which I find to wear the album down (being just "meh" overall), I would probably be praising this album as an absolute masterpiece just like many are. But it isn't a masterpiece for me, it still has a good number of flaws, particularly within the album's middle section.

Oh, and on a final note, I'd recommend seeing some of Kendrick's live performances, since I feel they really get across the tone that Kendrick is going for.

This video for example, is imo one of the greatest live hip-hop performances I've seen, especially the way he pulls of "u" in the end. Gave me goosebumps... The whole thing is just incredibly inventive though.

...jeez that was a long explanation... Sorry.

Anyway, as for your Beardfish question, I listened to it once or twice when it first came out. However, I remember literally nothing of it, and that's generally a bit of a bad sign, so I've honestly been a bit scared to go back to it, given the high regard in which I usually hold the band. I'll give it another listen though if you want.
----
24.09.2015 - 13:47
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Man, it's cool to see a good number of Death Grips fans around here. I can definitely understand their appeal in this community: raw, uncompromising, a big "fuck you" persona when conducting virtually all media interactions... they definitely have a real punk/metal attitude going on.

You said you had tried to get into them before and didn't really like them. Have you listened to No Love Deep Web yet? That's my personal favorite. Ya know, the one where the cover is typically displayed as just this long black bar because the real cover is of the drummer's dick with NO LOVE DEEP WEB written on it in a sharpie... a cover that got them kicked off of Epic Records, and then led to the band posting the entire email conversation between them and the label about it on their Facebook
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
24.09.2015 - 14:32
Lethrokai

Written by Auntie Sahar on 24.09.2015 at 13:47

Man, it's cool to see a good number of Death Grips fans around here. I can definitely understand their appeal in this community: raw, uncompromising, a big "fuck you" persona when conducting virtually all media interactions... they definitely have a real punk/metal attitude going on.

You said you had tried to get into them before and didn't really like them. Have you listened to No Love Deep Web yet? That's my personal favorite. Ya know, the one where the cover is typically displayed as just this long black bar because the real cover is of the drummer's dick with NO LOVE DEEP WEB written on it in a sharpie... a cover that got them kicked off of Epic Records, and then led to the band posting the entire email conversation between them and the label about it on their Facebook

Yeah, DG definitely have an identity unlike any other in the music world right now.

I've listened in depth to all of the band's stuff except for Government Plates, and honestly NLDW didn't do much for me. I'm not too big on their solely bass-heavy sound; I prefer it when they're a bit more melodic. I think that's why I enjoyed NOTM so much, since it had that NLDW experimentation but Bjork's vocals really added a sense of melody to the backing.

And I've got so many parody images of the NLDW cover it's unbelievable.
----
24.09.2015 - 15:01
Nimlot
A. Reader
Written by Lethrokai on 23.09.2015 at 21:56

Thanks for the thorough reply. Maybe I'm still missing something and I could be wrong but I don't find Kendrick's wordplay particularly subtle or impressive. As he is someone who's known for being polemic on issues of race and cultural identity, that theme is particularly obvious to the observant listener who approaches every song with the expectation that in some way Kendrick is always addressing this topic. Don't hold it against me but I guess, I just don't care for what seems like fairly shallow social criticism relying too much on referencing people who have become more symbol than flesh and placing himself among their ranks to build a statue in his own honor by forced association, rather than merit. But "For Free?" is quite a funny beat poem, even comparable to some of Bukowski's more comical stanzas.

I prefer something more poetically playful and sincerely self-exploratory, like Eyedea or Illogic. (For example, this song is an excruciatingly accurate depiction of a codependent relationship https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ep6umYu-Dqw)

Anyway, I think you should give Beardfish another chance, I think Comfortzone is quite a treat.
And if you haven't listened to Urban Nomad before (https://urbannomad.bandcamp.com/), I think might enjoy it.
24.09.2015 - 21:26
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by Lethrokai on 24.09.2015 at 14:32

I've listened in depth to all of the band's stuff except for Government Plates, and honestly NLDW didn't do much for me. I'm not too big on their solely bass-heavy sound; I prefer it when they're a bit more melodic

Oh, you should definitely listen to Government Plates then. In some ways I think it's their most electronic along with NOTM, and the beats... are very all over the place, not as direct and streamlined as NLDW or Exmilitary, for example. So some people don't like that and say that it makes the album really random and lacking a good sense of flow, but it also gives it this really chaotic feeling of spontaneity as well, which I love. It's definitely their most fun to listen to imo, and the music videos the band have done for the songs are just downright trippy as fuck
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII

Hits total: 3057 | This month: 8