Metal Storm logo
Huntress - Singer Reveals Cancer Diagnosis, Battle With Mental Illness

Singer Jill Janus of the Los Angeles traditional heavy metal band Huntress has revealed to Revolver magazine that she was recently diagnosed with uterine cancer. Janus is now cancer-free due to a hysterectomy performed two weeks ago. She is recovering from a successful surgery at home. In the same interview, she also opened up about her lifelong battle with mental illness.

She said: "During the process of writing and recording our third album, I began to feel like something bad was growing within me. When we were on tour with Amon Amarth, I started to bleed heavily between my periods. I had a procedure, and my doctor found early stages of cancer in my uterus. I will have a hysterectomy in June. I know I'll survive. I've survived much worse."

Janus also spoke about her lifelong battle with mental illness: "I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder first, when I was 20. I started to show signs of it when I was 13, though, and I struggled with it through high school. But it started to get dangerous in my early teens. By the time I was 20 and living in Manhattan, it was very, very difficult for me. That's when I was admitted into a mental health facility and was diagnosed bipolar with schizoaffective disorder, which progressed into schizophrenia and dissociative identity disorder."

She added: "I was suicidal constantly. I was very suicidal early on in my life. Then in my mid-20s, it shifted to full-blown mania, where I can't really remember much of my 20s. I can't remember anybody from high school, either. I lost my long-term memory and can't remember names, faces, or even places. We'll be at a venue on tour and Blake will be like, 'We've played here two times before,' but I'll have no recollection."

Photo: Hillarie Jason

The new Huntress album, Static, is coming out on September 25th on Napalm Records.

Source: revolvermag.com
Band profile: Huntress
Posted: 17.07.2015 by Bad English

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 6   Visited by: 63 users
17.07.2015 - 19:07
Ag Fox
Angel No More
elite
Pretty sure I've tried Spell Eater before, but I wasn't impressed. Didn't know she looks quite pretty. Let's see if they've grown as musicians on the upcoming release
----
loves 小巫
18.07.2015 - 00:15
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Ag Fox on 17.07.2015 at 19:07

Pretty sure I've tried Spell Eater before, but I wasn't impressed. Didn't know she looks quite pretty. Let's see if they've grown as musicians on the upcoming release

she looks pretty but amemrican but IMO she had fake boobs

anyway I hope she will be ok asap
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
18.07.2015 - 03:05
Ocean Sage
I love Huntress, especially Starbound Beast is great Stoner/Doom Metal stuff. Jill Janus is an incredibly talented singer and songwriter and she seems really sweet, funny, and easy-going in interviews and accounts about her. So this is very shocking and saddening to me.

I really hope she gets better and I have heard her cancer is gone after major surgery that she's had. I wish her the best and will pick up Static when it drops. Take care Jill!
18.07.2015 - 03:42
Ocean Sage

Did you hear Starbound Beast? I loved it way more than Spell Eater because she sings more on it instead of screaming a bit too much.
I hope she gets better and keeps living and being so strong. I think Huntress will keep getting better as they dive more into Stoner/Doom Metal like they've been going.
19.07.2015 - 18:33
Ag Fox
Angel No More
elite
Written by Ocean Sage on 18.07.2015 at 03:42

Did you hear Starbound Beast? I loved it way more than Spell Eater because she sings more on it instead of screaming a bit too much.
I hope she gets better and keeps living and being so strong. I think Huntress will keep getting better as they dive more into Stoner/Doom Metal like they've been going.
No, I haven't. I'll just go straight to the new one when it comes out =P
My ears are too busy already haha
----
loves 小巫
22.07.2015 - 02:01
Mechaniacal
Really cool chick. Hope she heals completely.

Hits total: 1899 | This month: 6