1 wants it

01. Volahn - Chamalcan
02. Shataan - Caminando Del Destino / Desert Smoke / Wells Run Dry
03. Arizmenda - Ropeburn Mutilation On The Outskirts Of Life
04. Kallathon - Falling Into The Horizon, Burning Into The Black Twilight

Guest review by
Marcus
Rating:
There's a new sheriff in town, and its name is Black Twilight Circle. The Southern California black metal collective are back with a new compilation, Desert Dances And Serpent Sermons, a 44 minute tribute to the west. Forget about Northern Darkness, snow covered mountains, wolves, Satan, and every other trve black metal cliché. They've been replaced by twilight over an empty desert, coyotes howling in the night, and the indigenous peoples who live through it all. This ain't your grandpa's west, however. Instead of John Ford and John Wayne's PG rated vision, Desert Dances And Serpent Sermons follows in the vein of Sam Peckinpah and Cormac McCarthy, presenting a west of violence and terror, pummeling us through the duration.

Read more ››
published 21.04.2016 | Comments (0)

Comments

Comments: 14   Visited by: 68 users
21.07.2015 - 15:06
Zap
Not trying to be a nitpicky asshole but shouldn't this be a compilation instead of a split?
From bandcamp:
"Compilation featuring Crepusculo Negro recording artists Volahn, Shataan, Arizmenda, Kallathon."

Also, Shataan sounds interesting, hoping for an EP or full-length soon.
21.07.2015 - 15:22
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Zap on 21.07.2015 at 15:06

Not trying to be a nitpicky asshole but shouldn't this be a compilation instead of a split?
From bandcamp:
"Compilation featuring Crepusculo Negro recording artists Volahn, Shataan, Arizmenda, Kallathon."

Also, Shataan sounds interesting, hoping for an EP or full-length soon.

One could technically it a four way split. Nothing weirde about that.

On the Powers of the Sphinx is also considered a four way split with Nihil Nocturne, Nightbringer, Saturnalia Temple, and Aluk Todolo featured on it.

For example Crushing The Holy Trinity is also considered a split. A six way split covering three cd's
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

21.07.2015 - 19:58
Zap
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 21.07.2015 at 15:22

On the Powers of the Sphinx is also considered a four way split with Nihil Nocturne, Nightbringer, Saturnalia Temple, and Aluk Todolo featured on it.

For example Crushing The Holy Trinity is also considered a split. A six way split covering three cd's

I know splits can have more than 2 bands, it's just that it's called a compilation on the label's bandcamp page, that's all.
21.07.2015 - 20:07
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Zap on 21.07.2015 at 19:58

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 21.07.2015 at 15:22

I know splits can have more than 2 bands, it's just that it's called a compilation on the label's bandcamp page, that's all.

aha, I didn't know that. Then it would, indeed, be a compilation and not a split.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

22.07.2015 - 02:29
Fearmeister
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 21.07.2015 at 20:07

aha, I didn't know that. Then it would, indeed, be a compilation and not a split.

Compilation still doesn't make much sense in this context. What is this a compilation of? Aren't compilations simply collections of previously recorded music?

Personally, I think the argument is whether this should be a VA or a split EP.
22.07.2015 - 11:15
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Guest on 22.07.2015 at 02:29

Aren't compilations simply collections of previously recorded music?

Sometimes they are and sometimes they aren't. They can be collections of new music, by different bands, as well.

VA of course stands for Various Artists and denotes that the release is a compilation.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

19.11.2015 - 22:27
Marcus
Doit Like Bernie
That Volahn track, oh my so good. Shataan needs some help on his vocals
29.11.2015 - 18:38
Zap
Yeah the Volahn track is amazing. Not a huge fan of the rest of the compilation (Arizmenda's track felt a bit weak compared to what I know he's capable of), but the cover is fantastic.
09.12.2015 - 16:31
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
I dunno, that Arizmenda track is all kinds of smegging epic. Rivals Volahn's track I would say.

This whole thing should be a soundtrack to some kind of trippy, futuristic Western film, probably directed by John Waters or something.
09.12.2015 - 20:01
Lit.
Account deleted
The Arizmenda track is pretty weak. As of now, the Volahn track is the only one I'm playing.
09.12.2015 - 23:31
Rating: 8
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Guest on 09.12.2015 at 16:31

I dunno, that Arizmenda track is all kinds of smegging epic. Rivals Volahn's track I would say.

This whole thing should be a soundtrack to some kind of trippy, futuristic Western film, probably directed by John Waters or something.

I'm not getting the hating either. I thinkit's a great track as well. All bands are solid if you ask me. Also... I vote for either Johan Waters or Alejandro Jodorowsky for that specially due to the later's El Topo.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
09.12.2015 - 23:34
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by X-Ray Rod on 09.12.2015 at 23:31

I'm not getting the hating either. I thinkit's a great track as well. All bands are solid if you ask me. Also... I vote for either Johan Waters or Alejandro Jodorowsky for that specially due to the later's El Topo.

Indeed, nothing here is less than good; all very enjoyable tracks.

Ah yeah, El Topo, that was lurking in that back of my mind when thinking about odd westerns. Thanks for bringing it to the surface!
11.12.2015 - 15:50
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
So this compilation is pretty awesome, yeah
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
18.04.2021 - 04:04
Alakazam
spendin' cheese
Beautiful, mentally esctatic journey for what is now sadly another bygone relic.
----
I may not have the largest collection but I certainly have the absolute best

Hits total: 3443 | This month: 20