01. Go Down
02. Dog Eat Dog
03. Let There Be Rock
04. Bad Boy Boogie
05. Overdose
06. Crabsody In Blue (Australia)
07. Hell Ain't A Bad Place To Be
08. Whole Lotta Rosie

A legendary album for a legendary band. Let There Be Rock, made in 1977, pushes us to this tragic thought: "what if AC DC was right and everybody else was wrong?". This album was definitely going to change the way to think about rock'n'roll, not only for the band, but also for the next generations of musicians. Let There Be Rock, as it was emphasizing the guitars and had a perfect production, was going to be the milestone of the real international success of this band, putting it out of the marasm of a boring future in Australia, a country that was too narrow-minded - at this moment- for a band with so much ambition.

The Young brothers, Angus and Malcolm, decided that rock'n'roll could as well keep its basic structures with a usual rhythm, but at the same time become something more creative and daring. So, the legendary "Let there be rock" is the perfect application of this new state of mind, making of this track the greatest success of rock'n' roll. This song gives the lion's share to the natural feeling of Angus, whose guitar never stops telling us the most beautiful story of all time, the rock'n'roll. The love of this music should flash back on the listener: every note, every solo is an ode, an invocation, a declaration. And our favourite schoolboy enjoys his music on every track, he shows his soul of virtuoso.

The powerful "Whole lotta Rosie" also belongs to the Hall Of Fame of the legendary tracks, as it creates such a perfect osmosis between guitarist Angus Young and singer Bon Scott that it succeeds in making the roughest and the most tattoed of us cry. Bon Scott also changes some tracks like "Hell ain't a bad place to be" and "Dog eat dog" into masterpieces of bad spirit, and also shows all his ability. The musicians obviously have fun, and everything seems easy, because they master their instruments so well. The wonderful "Bad boy boogie" brings emotion and is eager to bring us to this hell that they have promised for so long. Then comes a devilish track with a strong rhythm: "Problem child" and its corrosive riff tells that hell is just a place where the bad boys gather to play rock'n'roll. Then, add "Go down", the first track of the album, and it's over.

After that, AC DC never never made a step out of this way, and has still stuck to this image that, contrary to what fools and jealous people say, has never been commercial or conventional. Finally, we still don't know if everybody else is wrong (not sure), but AC DC was sure right...

Written by Gorey | 07.06.2004

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 5   Visited by: 45 users
04.03.2007 - 17:01
marillionfan
Account deleted
A very good,well written album review. I agree to it mostly. Anyway, this is not their last great album,the 1978 Powerage and 1979 Highway to hell albums are also very good.
As far as the Brian Johnson era is concerned, Back in black - 1980 and blow up your Video come close to the AC/DC 70s classic albums (IMHO).
09.10.2008 - 11:55
Rating: 8
Timelord

Everything from "High Voltage" to "Highway to Hell" are classics to me. There is not a song on here that I don't like. The Bon Scott era of AC/DC was so much better than the Brian Johnson reign. You can feel the emotion in each song. AC/DC may not be the most technical band but their style of Rock n Roll is timeless. This record ranks #3 on my all time favorite AC/DC records.
12.02.2009 - 21:18
Rating: 10
Aaron_W

This is my favorite AC/DC album ever and I think the Bon Scott era is the only era of this band worth paying attention to. The title song and Whole Lot of Rosie are all time classics and none of the rest are even close to filler.
13.05.2009 - 13:54
Rattlehead.cz

"Let there be rock" and "Highway to hell" are my favorite AC/DC albums.
Both of them represent other sound of AC/DC:
"Highway to hell" is more commercial, but still perfect
"Let there be rock" is more raw, the guitar sound kills, for me it is probably the best guitar sound ever.
"Whole lotta Rosie" and "Let there be rock" are for me really rock anthems.
Album "Let there be rock" is for me absolut rock classic! I love this album!!
22.07.2015 - 20:12
Rating: 7
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Primitive music, and it works, try Dream Theatre complicated combinations and other prog rock, it will be boring, this so called primitivism works and do it every day
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing

Hits total: 10308 | This month: 15