Metal Storm logo
Manga

Original post

Posted by Account deleted, 04.03.2007 - 22:55
Cheers people!

I noticed that there was no Manga thread in this recreaton forum, and since I am a rather big fan of manga (and mostly prefer it to anime) I would be intressted in discussing it with eventual fans here.

Well to start out I got into reading manga when I was younger, reading Dragonball, One Piece etc. (6-7 years ago). And since then I have had a great intresst in reading manga.

My recent reads involve "Ichi The Killer" , which is a great manga, and here is a description of it:

Yakuza boss Anjo disappears with three hundred million yen. His loyal gang members, lead by the masochist Kakihara, start a search, but their aggressive and gory methods worry the other yakuza gangs. Kakiharas most frightening counterpart is the mysterious Ichi, a psychopathic killer with a dark childhood secret, who is controlled by a retired cop.

This manga is definitly not for the faint of heart since every volume contains so much violence, sex and torture scenes (often in combination) it is quite disgusting to read at times. But since the main characthers really are very intressting, I still cant help but to really enjoy it.

Kakihara the masochist has to be one of the coolest manga protagonists ever, here is a picture of him, notice his slashed cheeks held together with safty pins and his various cool scars. What he is holding in his hand is long needles, which happens to be his favourite toy:

So if anyone has any recommendations etc on great mangas please write here!
The manga genres I enjoy the most are, thrillers / psochological / action. And to a certain degree (if well done) comedymanga in various forms.

/Basso
05.05.2010 - 04:29
Fhuesc
I've been reading Fairy Tail, it's a really fun manga with likable characters, the story isn't bad, but it's not very original. A friend of mine told me that One Piece is better, is it true?
----
Hasta la victoria, siempre!
Until victory, always!
07.05.2010 - 12:25
Mikyz
Written by Fhuesc on 05.05.2010 at 04:29

I've been reading Fairy Tail, it's a really fun manga with likable characters, the story isn't bad, but it's not very original. A friend of mine told me that One Piece is better, is it true?

As an avid reader of manga, take it from me One Piece is much more original, funny and likeable than Fairy Tail, and if you do enjoy Fairy Tail you should also read Rave Master.

The mangas I'm enjoying the most right now are Wolf Guy - Wolfen Crest, Berserk, Bleach, One Piece, and Beezlebub. For something music oriented the best is definitely Beck.
----
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone.
09.05.2010 - 01:21
Edmund Fogg
The best manga I've red was Blame,followed closely by Basilisk and Alive.All three are different in styles and artwork and all three will keep you hooked until the end
----
You cannot sedate all the things you hate - MM
The Observer is the source of reality - Bloom
God damn it!! What did Diddy didn't do? - Satan
09.05.2010 - 09:28
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
Written by Edmund Fogg on 09.05.2010 at 01:21

The best manga I've red was Blame,followed closely by Basilisk and Alive.All three are different in styles and artwork and all three will keep you hooked until the end

I think I know this ''Alive'' manga... isn't that one about a guy on the death row who suffers some weird experiences?

I vaguely remember liking it, but also remember complaining that the story was too short
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
09.05.2010 - 19:45
Edmund Fogg
Written by Uirapuru on 09.05.2010 at 09:28

Written by Edmund Fogg on 09.05.2010 at 01:21

I think I know this ''Alive'' manga... isn't that one about a guy on the death row who suffers some weird experiences?

I vaguely remember liking it, but also remember complaining that the story was too short

yeppe Alive is a short manga about 2 guys on death row that gets,on their execution day,the choice of participating in a scientific experiment or die.the experiment goes wrong and it kinda make me think about the videogame F.E.A.R.It is a real psycho thriller and you get to see sci-fi whitout Mechs so it is awesome
----
You cannot sedate all the things you hate - MM
The Observer is the source of reality - Bloom
God damn it!! What did Diddy didn't do? - Satan
07.11.2014 - 02:44
Andro Maximus
Account deleted
So Naruto just finished. Followed that thing for 10 years. The ending was alright, though I wish we had learned more about the established characters than their children (I suppose they saved a lot for the Last Naruto movie).

SPOILERS!!!!

Naruto ending up with Hinata made sense and I liked it, but Sasuke and Sakura... I just don't know what to think. On the one hand it made little sense, but on the other hand, the fanboy in me is happy as shit. But I don't think I will ever be able to imagine Sasuke and Sakura making a baby. Maybe they adopted her...

Overall, a very bittersweet moment in time, one of the greatest mangas of all time is finally over. I will miss it.
07.11.2014 - 04:05
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Written by Guest on 07.11.2014 at 02:44

So Naruto just finished.

Never would I have thought I would see this happening in my life. I stopped following this thing a long time ago. Both the anime and the manga. But now that it actually has an ending I'm bound to retake on it.
Is the anime still running? If so I'm gonna wait for that then see everything at once (without the damn fillers of course)
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
15.01.2024 - 06:41
Roman Doez
Hallucigenia
I've been reading a LOT of manga in the past 2 or so years, and I haven't really had the chance to talk about it much on here, so I figured I'd revive this old thread.
Two weeks into January, I finished reading 4 different series already, with more on the way. Here are some (mostly) spoiler-free reviews of said series:

Sousou no Frieren: I had read all 9 officially translated volume of Frieren back in November, when the anime was getting some hype. I finally read the scanlation of the 30 something chapters I had left to read and it was quite a fun ride. Most of what I had left to read was of the El Dorado arc, and it was really good. The next major arc as well was also a lot of fun. The one thing that I somewhat dislike in Frieren are the more episodic parts of the story which, to me, do not always feel completely necessary, although they're still enjoyable. Overall, this isn't a rising star of modern manga for no reason, although I do believe it is very overhyped compared to what it delivers. It still has many days ahead and perhaps someday I'll truly fall in love with it. A low 8/10 for now.

Fullmetal Alchemist: I don't think I need to say much about this story. It's Fullmetal Alchemist, it's brilliant, it lives up to the hype. Rarely has a story felt so intricately crafted, where each element has its real importance and seemingly minor characters will often end up taking on a more important role. Nothing is out of place, few things feel contrived or incoherent, and overall there's a lot to love about this story. An incredibly high 8/10 that could turn into a 9 with more time to think about it.

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure Part 1 (Phantom Blood): I initially watched the anime version of the first 3 parts of JJBA back in 2020. Having heard great things about the rest of the series, I read parts 4 to what's currently available of part 9 last year and had an absolute blast. Since it's been a while now, I figured I'd read the first 3 parts so I could have a definitive opinion on the whole series, starting of course with Phantom Blood. Although it was a pretty interesting and daring story when it was created (1986!!), I believe it hasn't aged the best. It has mostly uninteresting characters, it has a bunch of very forgettable fights and characters, and that's kind of the charm of this part. It's incredibly imperfect and it's only the beginning of something that would eventually be great. The main highlight of the part however is Dio, who is very entertainingly evil and has enough charisma to carry the entire story on his back, especially when we know his role in future arcs. The finale of the story is also very daring for the time and honestly really good. Overall a solid 6/10. Not the best but far from horrible.

Dandadan: This is one of the current stars of modern shonen, and I figured I'd finally give it a shot. The one thing that's immediately striking is the absolutely incredible art showcased here. This is by far one of the prettiest manga series I've ever read and as the story progresses, the impressive shots and double page spreads just keep on delivering. The story itself is very wacky and weird, but the main focus here is clearly the dynamic between the two main characters (as well as with the ever expanding main cast). And at first, it didn't really grab me. They kept facing dangerous threats but always managed to find a way to come out on top, and while it was fun to read, it was maybe lacking a little in more serious stuff for me to get really invested. Things start to change with the cursed house arcs where the situations get increasingly more perilous and the characters have to make more difficult choices. But the arc that completely sold me on the series was the Space Globalists arc. Here, the main cast are pushed all the way to their limits against a never ending swarm of aliens. At this point, Dandadan pretty much turns into a lighter version of Gantz, and I'm all for it. The absolutely stunning visuals only add in making this one of the most enjoyable and fun arcs I've had the pleasure to read in a manga. It has the ambition and scale of a grand finale, but the story still has quite some time ahead and I can only hope it remains at this level of quality. A well deserved 8/10 for now.

Sorry for the absurdly long post, feel free to share some manga recommendations and reviews!
15.01.2024 - 14:52
Metal Rasputin
As far as I'm concerned, Naoki Urawasa is one of the best manga artist ever, his Monster, 20th Century Boys and Pluto are awesome. Junji Ito is another brilliant one, his surreal and cosmic horror stories are something else. Berserk is indeed a great classic as well. Too bad the artist couldn't finish the job. And Akira manga is probably the best I've ever read, the film is just the first few books and lacks the actual story that begins after the film ends. The manga is more post-apocalyptic Mad Max action than the 80's cyberpunk seen in the film version.
----
You've got a lot of guts. Let's see what they look like!