Metal Storm logo
Favorite music genre outside metal

Original post

Posted by tulkas, 05.03.2007 - 04:41
It's obvious in this web page we are brought toghether by one music genre, but what about the rest?
I wanted to know which are your other favorite musical genres out side metal (if you have any), and if you may want to comment why.
I didn't create a poll so it could be more open, besides I wouldn't be able to fill all the possible genres, so...
Ok, so, just feel free to discuss this and tell what you think
12.05.2013 - 20:53
Mad Arab666

I like goth rock, psychedelic rock and I have a thing for New Age music otherwise I like the odd occasional song from different genres but I wouldn't consider myself a fan of those genres.
----
Bring up the wolves head!
22.09.2013 - 22:19
Frank Comstock

I love so many genres, but if I really had to choose specific genres, it would be Jazz, Classical, Hip-Hop, Pop Music (A la The Beatles), and Alternative/Indie in all of its myriad forms.
----
"You travel within the glory of my memories, insect. I can feel your fear as you tread the endless expanse of my mind. Make yourself comfortable... before long I will decorate my home with your carcass."
23.09.2013 - 02:21
Lady GaGa
Account deleted
Pop, Punk, Post-Hardcore and Ambient.
10.10.2013 - 16:08
angel.
Evil Butterfly
Hmm I really like what Cocorosie plays,whatever genre it is.
----
The Fangirl.
28.07.2017 - 22:21
Julius666

Baroque or Jazz fusion /& Bebop
----
hipster kid
12.02.2018 - 16:19
LesbianWithAGun

I'm from a black neighbourhood, this neighbourhood, and I've not seen a white boy with a guitar on a music poster here in my lifetime.
However, the local music scene is rocking and I grew up here.
My station, my roads, my everything, here; am like 'Hello?'

In 2015, I saw them filming this as I stepped out of the train station walking home fresh from work in my construction gear, I was on the phone to a good friend I knew from Soho at the time, and I said 'I don't know who they are, but look at their chains/bling'..
Turns out it was promoting Straight Outta Compton (2015) that movie there;
25.02.2018 - 12:52
Classical and Progressive
10.05.2018 - 20:07
solar

Hip-hop, all the way. In fact, that's what I've been listening to for many months now while metal is on pause. I'm trying to get deeper into hip-hop, just like how it happened with metal a few years ago.

PS: You have some cool hip-hop to share? I'm all ears.
19.06.2018 - 00:32
Synthwave from France
24.07.2018 - 13:15
TomReed

My favorite genre outside metal is dark folk, but in fact this style derives from black metal and post-punk.
Some instrumental dark folk music is really very similar to black metal rhythms and emotions.

----
My Freesound
Gear: Q Acoustics 3020i / NAD 1020A Pre Amplifier / Bose Soundlink
24.07.2018 - 23:47
Metren
Dreadrealm
All kind of EDM or even all kinds of electronic music in general. Daft Punk will always be a top 10 of all time band for me for example.
----
My one-man project's Bandcamp with free downloads: https://dreadrealm.bandcamp.com/
16.08.2018 - 15:30
Horrorgrind

Synthwave (though the Synthwave I listen to nowadays is more metal influenced, i.e. Darksynth)
Post-Rock
Ambient (usually Dark Ambient)
80s Goth Rock/Darkwave
No Wave
Trip-Hop
Hip-Hop
Celtic Folk
Celtic Punk
Hardcore/Crust Punk
----
"... And I will face the grave with you
You'd only have to ask me to
Take this flesh up from this stone
And let it burn..."
20.09.2018 - 10:58
Sang Dalang Abu

Modern Classical, Post-Punk, Progressive Rock/Electronics, Dark Ambient, Experimental Hip Hop.. anything if music it's close enough with dense atmosphere, I'd love to listen to it.
08.01.2019 - 00:07
arso96

I love soul music, and power ballads, i know that it's really different from metal, but sometimes it releases something in me, kinda strange though

https://appsync.biz/dafont/https://192168ll.onl/https://appsync.biz/filehippo/
12.01.2019 - 00:29
Quatropus

I've actually been into a lot of Wave stuff since Darkwave can get pretty Metal and some Metal bands I dig implement Wave in their music (I.E. Abstract Void)
15.02.2019 - 14:41
IronAngel

Written by Quatropus on 12.01.2019 at 00:29

I've actually been into a lot of Wave stuff since Darkwave can get pretty Metal and some Metal bands I dig implement Wave in their music (I.E. Abstract Void)

I don't think "wave" means much as such - it just indicates a movement of some sort (e.g. second wave of black metal). I didn't do any research, but I imagine it mostly comes from "New wave", which was at first mostly just a declaration of doing something different, and "No wave" as a deliberate reaction. I dunno, maybe Dark wave is from that same era, and clearly it has some post-punk roots, but I wouldn't exactly put Blondie, early Swans and Elend even into the same umbrella category. Random -wave microgenres, like vaporwave, don't seem to have any connection with New wave.
10.07.2022 - 00:13
Metal Rasputin

There's so much good stuff around it's extremely difficult to pick just one genre or subgenre. Right now I'd say it's between some funky jazz, fusion and experimental and progressive electronic music, space music, psychedelic stuff, etc. that's just as hard to categorize, post-punk also kicks some ass. Japanese fusion jazz especially is some of the best, the jazzy 80's Japanese pop, city pop or whatever people call it sounds cool.
----
You've got a lot of guts. Let's see what they look like!