Metal Storm logo
Favorite music genre outside metal

05.03.2007 - 04:41
tulkas
el parcero
It's obvious in this web page we are brought toghether by one music genre, but what about the rest?
I wanted to know which are your other favorite musical genres out side metal (if you have any), and if you may want to comment why.
I didn't create a poll so it could be more open, besides I wouldn't be able to fill all the possible genres, so...
Ok, so, just feel free to discuss this and tell what you think
----
love is like a jar of shit with a strawberry on top
05.03.2007 - 04:44
tulkas
el parcero
In my case, I actually like various other genres, from some classical music to even some songs from rap, but the so-called classical rap, like Run-DMC and the like.
For me it actually depends a lot on how the music is performed and the way in which it may get you, on the way it makes you feel and think. It's like letting the music talk to you and letting it get to you
----
love is like a jar of shit with a strawberry on top
05.03.2007 - 08:35
Bloody Rain
I Am The Night
Jazz is definitely one of my favorite genres outside of metal. In fact it was metal bands such as Gorguts and Ephel Duath that helped me get into the genre more so. I don't exactly go out of my way to hear jazz music, but it is definitely nice to hear once in a while. I also enjoy classic rock bands like Led Zepplin once in a while and some classical music is nice too.
05.03.2007 - 10:43
marillionfan
Account deleted
Classic rock, melodic hard rock (the so called AOR), blues, jazz and last but not least classical music.
05.03.2007 - 12:08
GT
Coffee!!
My favorite genres outside metal must be various forms of trance like bangin' trance, psy-trance and goa. To name a few 'bands' it could be people like DJ Tiësto, Paul Oakenfold, Infected Mushroom and Reefer Decree
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
05.03.2007 - 14:11
Grimurc

outside metal my favourite is Tekno, Industrial (not metal), Goa and Acid. and also some movie-music's too. sometimes its relaxing to listen other music than metal...
----
Still drinking,-
05.03.2007 - 14:20
APOHAKC
The Bard
Well, I really like ambiental and folk music (not Serbian turbo folk!!!) like Loreena McKennit and similar...
----
They say that we are gone but I can't let you down
The heathen faith will rise again we won't fail now
I know we cannot die forever is our time
Give my people back to me free from Christianity!!!!
05.03.2007 - 17:53
Graveheart

Rock subgenres are truly amazing. Hard rock, soft rock, art rock, pop rock, folk rock, gothic rock, progressive rock, instrumental rock, post rock, trip rock, indie rock, alternative rock etc... everything of it rocks my world, excluding glam, punk, emo and japanese.
05.03.2007 - 18:49
The Alchemist
Metalchemist
I like a ot of other music genres besides metal, it's like if I had different sides on my musical taste. I'll mention some ones:

- Industrial (like Das Ich, Haujobb)
- Rock (like Placebo, Coldplay, U2, and of course classic bands such as The Police, The Beatles, The Eagles, Queen)
- Classical music
- Some Electronic
- Ambience (like Dead Can Dance)
- New Age
----

I'm not afraid to die, I'm afraid to be alive without being aware of it
Sensorium - Epica
06.03.2007 - 05:32
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
I listen to prettymcuh anything, I'm very open minded: It would go pretty much in this order:

1- Hard Rock
2- Rock
3- Some emo (Chevelle, Breaking Benjamin, The Used)
4- Darkwave/electrogothic (Diary Of Dreams)
5- 80s pop
6- J-Rock: Currently discovering it,, Malice MIzer, and Moi Dix Mois.
7- Some techno (Mainly games tachno)
8- New Age (World Music, Enya)
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
06.03.2007 - 07:20
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Definitely Hip Hop, which I began listening to a few years before Rock and Metal. Still plenty to discover, but I love the genre. I personally am an aspiring emcee, so we'll see how it goes. I am also a growing fan of both Hardcore and Post-Rock.
----
The force will be with you, always.
06.03.2007 - 08:44
Strid
Account deleted
Nearly all electronica... and the more orchestral subgenres of rockish or ambience stuff...
10.03.2007 - 00:49
BloodTears
ANA-thema
hard rock
rock (alternative, indie, goth)
darkwave (ethereal, neoclassical)
ambient

mostly that yes.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
11.03.2007 - 05:25
Bitch Boy

Written by The Alchemist on 05.03.2007 at 18:49

I like a ot of other music genres besides metal, it's like if I had different sides on my musical taste. I'll mention some ones:

- Rock (like Placebo, Coldplay, U2, and of course classic bands such as The Police, The Beatles, The Eagles, Queen)
- Classical music
- Some Electronic
- New Age

Seems like we have similar musical taste. I also enjoy industrial, electrodark, EBM, darkwave, dark ambient, new age and some rock (classical, depressive, gothic, death).
11.03.2007 - 05:36
The Alchemist
Metalchemist
Written by Bitch Boy on 11.03.2007 at 05:25

Written by The Alchemist on 05.03.2007 at 18:49

- Classical music
- Some Electronic
- New Age

Seems like we have similar musical taste. I also enjoy industrial, electrodark, EBM, darkwave, dark ambient, new age and some rock (classical, depressive, gothic, death).

Interesting taste indeed, I'd like to know more industrial/darkwave/electrodark music, dark ambient as well, do you have any recommendation?
And sorry for my ignorance, what is EBM?
----

Sensorium - Epica
11.03.2007 - 06:20
Bitch Boy

@ The Alchemist: EBM = Electronic Body Music.

I would recommend you this groups...

Industrial/EBM/Electro/Pop: Hocico, Blutengel, Terminal Choice, Suicide Comando, Collide, VNV Nation, Illuminate, And One, Covenant, L'Âme Immortelle, Process, Naio ssaion, Dominion III (this one features the members of Dargaard), Black Heaven, Dopestars Inc., Deathstars, ASP, Diary of Dreams, Wolfsheim, Dracul (featuring the members of Umbra et Imago), Die Form, In Strict Confidence.

Darkwave and Gothic/Death rock: Clan of Xymox, Umbra et Imago, Mantus, Sanguis et Cinis, Cinema Strange, The Birthday Massacre, Phillip Boa, Effektor, Love Like Blood, Samsas Traum, The Moon and the Nightspirit.

Dark/medieval ambient: Artesia (imagine a darker Dargaard), Elend, Dark Sanctuary, Unto Ashes, Black Tape for a Blue Girl, Arcana, Mediaeval Baebes, Rajna.

You should ask DerRozz for more industrial/goth recommendations, and K7 for ambient.
11.03.2007 - 06:42
The Alchemist
Metalchemist
@Bitch Boy: WOW!! you know a lot of bands, thank you very much
----

Sensorium - Epica
11.03.2007 - 08:48
Lupas
Maximus
Outside metal world...... i like nu-metal , especial Korn but still it is metal Well the only one . And sometimes jazz music . I like also blues and folk music too
----
"For what point has this life if you can't realise your dreams?" -- The Divine Comedy
11.03.2007 - 10:54
Basso
Account deleted
Post rock would be my answer and quite much Soundtracks... especially from the Final Fantasy series.
12.03.2007 - 22:57
Rainmaker123
Account deleted
Well Metal is not my fav genre, its probably my 3rd fav. my first being Folk/Folk Rock. 2nd being classic rock.
12.03.2007 - 23:37
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Folk rock & classic rock and a bit of country (not this new pop country shit) , im a big fan of Neil Young, I like some Johnny Cash, Bob Dylan etc.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
13.03.2007 - 06:29
Eternal Flames

I listen to a lot of other music other than metal. There's really not one specific favourite genre out of metal, however a few genres that I do enjoy listening to a lot include:
- Rock (Hard rock, classical rock, prog rock, indie, old school punk and so on)
- Grunge and post-grunge
- Classical
- Blues
- Jazz
and even some electronica here and there. I do enjoy some country (rock) type stuff like Neil Young and Johnny Cash. Other than that, I'm pretty much open to any other forms of music however I don't listen to the other styles as much as the aforementioned ones (and of course metal).
14.03.2007 - 01:09
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Doc G. on 12.03.2007 at 23:37

Folk rock & classic rock and a bit of country (not this new pop country shit) , im a big fan of Neil Young, I like some Johnny Cash, Bob Dylan etc.

Hahha man me to I love hem but still rock, metal ist soemthing what geos togehter, but well such bands like Neil Young and Bob Dylan whit such great lyrics ist kick ass
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
14.03.2007 - 01:30
Kharn
Account deleted
Usually solo Acoustic artists...real easy on the ear stuff.
Like some tori Amos too...just unusual piano/acoustic stuff
is a bit of a change from Metal.
14.03.2007 - 11:54
Paganblood
The Aryaputra
My favourite genres outside metal are folk music and symphony(Beethoven and MOzart symphonies, to be particular).
My own country is rich in folk culture, and music, and they're indeed good. However the so-called folk singers of today are commercializing folk music and are thus obliterating Nepali folk music. Their music is crap, and I HATE those, for, they aren't actually folk....
I've been listtening to folk metal bands from different countries, and I like their music as well a lot.
Also, I once had been a fan of nepali old classic music, although I no longer listen to them, I still respect those musicians and their work. But this tyle has disappeared almost completely nowadays. (their style is somewhat orchestral and near to folk)
----
that which shines without names and forms...
14.03.2007 - 23:54
darksun

If i say rock and hard rock already little brothers of metal,I guess it will be better to talk about the other genres IMHO.I mostly like classical music,folk music,jazz and old pop (that is till 90's.)
----
Dark is the sunlight,we cast the life together
Dark is the sunlight or I'm blind forever..
16.03.2007 - 02:58
Bitter Dawn
Ave Sathanas!
Industrial - pretty much all the band's and more that BitchBoy listed.

old goth rock

classical - primarily piano pieces and cathedral/choi pieces.
17.03.2007 - 17:01
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Bitch Boy on 11.03.2007 at 06:20

@ The Alchemist: EBM = Electronic Body Music.

I would recommend you this groups...

Industrial/EBM/Electro/Pop: Hocico, Blutengel, Terminal Choice, Suicide Comando, Collide, VNV Nation, Illuminate, And One, Covenant, L'Âme Immortelle, Process, Naio ssaion, Dominion III (this one features the members of Dargaard), Black Heaven, Dopestars Inc., Deathstars, ASP, Diary of Dreams, Wolfsheim, Dracul (featuring the members of Umbra et Imago), Die Form, In Strict Confidence.

Darkwave and Gothic/Death rock: Clan of Xymox, Umbra et Imago, Mantus, Sanguis et Cinis, Cinema Strange, The Birthday Massacre, Phillip Boa, Effektor, Love Like Blood, Samsas Traum, The Moon and the Nightspirit.

Dark/medieval ambient: Artesia (imagine a darker Dargaard), Elend, Dark Sanctuary, Unto Ashes, Black Tape for a Blue Girl, Arcana, Mediaeval Baebes, Rajna.

You should ask DerRozz for more industrial/goth recommendations, and K7 for ambient.

Good one I like thise bands too, but those genres goes some how united whit metal, some of bands are in MA even
----

apos;'
[image]
17.03.2007 - 19:49
Bitch Boy

Yes, that's right. I've seen Dargaard, Artesia, Elend, Arcana and some others in MA.
19.03.2007 - 11:17
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Bitch Boy on 17.03.2007 at 19:49

Yes, that's right. I've seen Dargaard, Artesia, Elend, Arcana and some others in MA.

Well IMO Led Zeppelin and Ac/Dc are more metalish how those bands but MA are wierd politics sometims, but Dargaard, Elend are good and still moust metalheads like it
----

apos;'
[image]