Metal Storm logo
Favorite music genre outside metal

Original post

Posted by tulkas, 05.03.2007 - 04:41
It's obvious in this web page we are brought toghether by one music genre, but what about the rest?
I wanted to know which are your other favorite musical genres out side metal (if you have any), and if you may want to comment why.
I didn't create a poll so it could be more open, besides I wouldn't be able to fill all the possible genres, so...
Ok, so, just feel free to discuss this and tell what you think
09.10.2010 - 21:45
Yavanna
When is not metal, I like folk music, and also classical and some new age stuff, such Enya.
----
Carry me to the shoreline
Bury me in the sand
Walk me across the water
And maybe you'll understand
21.10.2010 - 02:47
Mikrokosmos
Account deleted
Outside metal I mostly listen to old ska (from the 60's and the original skinhead wave: Laurel Aitken, The Selecter, The Specials, ...), new age (David Arkenstone, ...) dub or whatever the genre is called (Hilight Tribe) and a lot of traditional/folk bands: I recommand Bukkene Bruse (norwegian folk), and bands like Huun-Huur-Tu, Yat-Kha, Altan Urag, Chirgilchin for anyone who likes (or wants to discover) throat singing and the traditional music of Mongolia/Tuva.
28.11.2010 - 19:23
Alex Smith
Country and folk. Such like George Strait or Gordon Lightfoot.
07.12.2010 - 22:27
IronAngel
It changes all the time. Right now, I'm into ambient and modern classical, and stuff inbetween. Peter Broderick, Rafael Anton Irisarri, Steve Reich, Philip Glass, Arvo Pärt, Erik Satie, Max Richter, Brian Eno, Olan Mill, Grouper, Silje Nes etc.

I also like all sorts of singer-songwriter stuff from various genres. Tori Amos, Regina Spektor, Laura Nyro, Joni Mitchell, Johnny Cash, Leonard Cohen, Tom Waits, Susanne Sundfor, Owen Pallett and such.

Lots of electronic music in addition to the ambient. The Knife etc. Shoegaze too. And Post-Rock, Indie Folk, Alt-Country (Gothic Americana especially) and so on. I like most of these more than metal, a lot of the time. I don't really have favorite genres, because it depends so much on what I feel like.
07.12.2010 - 22:49
Vunts
I'd say dubstep, DnB and all other sorts electronic music. Right now, definitely dub and dnb as both genres have almost fully won over my playlist at home or on my mp3 player. I used to hate dnb for years, but after a friend educated me about non-"mainstream" dnb, then my opinion changed quite drastically.
17.12.2010 - 12:12
Gurth Bennas
Classical and symphony are my favorite genres beside metal. I like brahms and vivaldi symphonies.
----
Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul
Ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul

(One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them)
06.01.2011 - 01:34
0rpheus
Hmm...
Film score
Neoclassical
Atmospheric
Jazz fusion
----
I would prefer not to.
11.01.2011 - 02:18
Andreas
Whatever genre ToTo would fit in and Scottish/Irish folk music.
15.01.2011 - 22:53
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Contributor
I like techno & electronica I guess i can thank Trent Reznor for that!
----
rekt
17.01.2011 - 04:57
Void_Eater
Account deleted
Neofolk and Classical music are the only other genres I listen to regularly other than metal. I also listen to my local rock radio station while I drive, but nothing really worth digging into. I'm planning on listening to Indie music soon, just as another genre to explore.
18.01.2011 - 21:01
Slayer666
Goth rock, mostly, although lately I started listening to some electronic shit too (Skinny Puppy, Combichrist etc.).
Other than that, I like some Chopin, Vagner and Beethoven every once in a while.
19.01.2011 - 01:39
ANGEL REAPER
Some english rock from 60s to 80s
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
05.03.2011 - 03:37
Lexus
I really dig, late 60's rock, Love Hendrix, Joplin and The Doors. I also enjoy listining to the Beatles.
----
"Go hard, or Go HOME!"
05.03.2011 - 04:38
wormdrink414
Elite
Rock and New Orleans Jazz. Have to love on the Mozart Concertos too--love all over those.
08.03.2011 - 16:24
Krankheit
Account deleted
Mostly electronica. Have also started to listen to some good old reggae.
24.03.2011 - 16:44
Yasmine
Classical by far, then Jazz fusion.
----
"Both optimists and pessimists contribute to our society. The optimist invents the airplane and the pessimist the parachute." G B Stern
"Society is like a stew. If you don't stir it up every once in a while then a layer of scum float u
06.05.2011 - 09:01
Blair
Well I would be happy to share favorite music genre out side metal as below

Trance
Jazz
Pop
06.05.2011 - 12:37
Spirit Molecule
spirit molecule
I love trip hop and down tempo stuff, lotta dubstep, well quite a bit of electronica music. Then some psychedelic/stoner/space/noise rock
----
If you never wake up from a dream does it become reality?

Last fm
Don't click here
07.05.2011 - 09:29
Night Sight
Outside rock and metal i like listening to some trip hop and electronica stuffs
----
Alone in birth
Alone in the darkness
Alone in death
Alone in the daylight
11.05.2011 - 22:58
Bulletdodger
Classical and Electronic/industrial .
----
Aus dem Paradies, das Cantor uns geschaffen, soll uns niemand vertreiben können.
David Hilbert
16.05.2011 - 06:03
king_matt
I like techno, especially dubstep. I also like classic rock, early hip-hop (Run-DMC, Public Enemy), and classical.
----
http://www.last.fm/user/King_Matt
16.05.2011 - 12:55
Sophist
Dark electro, dark ambiental (fuck yeah Nox Arcana) and classical.
17.05.2011 - 03:40
whatsacow
Jazz - Mainly bebop and lounge. Swing annoys me sometimes.

Hip Hop - I like a lot of Australian bands because they mainly take samples from jazz and indie songs. Got to give props to kanye west (even if he is a talentless cunt) for sampling King Crimson.

Electronica - Been really getting into trance lately... and a lot of Dark Ambient.

Indie - I love bands like final fantasy, angus and julia stone, modest mouse etc.

Prog - Prog rock, prog pop (radiohead) and prog rap (cLOUDEAD) are all good.
----
When God made up the golden rule, do you think he noticed that it condones rape?
17.05.2011 - 15:54
ANGEL REAPER
Fuck it erase everything i posted here before....
My favorite genre outside the metal is MORE METAL!
In its vast diversity metal gives more than enough music for all the moods/occasions/emotions
i cant get tired from it......
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
17.05.2011 - 20:55
fabregassed
Account deleted
Prog Rock like Frank Zappa and King Crimson and Hardcore punk like Black Flag, GBH and Cro-Mags. .....And I've started listening to some shoegaze too.
20.05.2011 - 16:41
XV535Virago
Gothic rock like Fields of The Nephilim, Merciful Nuns,Garden of Delight.
----
True norwegian Dimmu Burger : zero tolerance to pickles must be issued!
21.05.2011 - 08:19
Hylia
New Age,Ambient, Video Game Music(if there is a genre for that) and then Classical.
24.05.2011 - 20:29
Sammol
Jazz Fusion leaning to Prog-rock, and some Folky Classical World Music.
30.05.2011 - 15:39
Horus
Jazz
06.06.2011 - 16:46
Fade To Black
Folk and Prog rock