05. Footprints
06. Overlord
07. Anthropoid
08. Engage The Fear Machine
09. Delusion Pandemic
10. Torches [feat. Greg Puciato]
11. Wine & Piss [deluxe edition bonus]
12. Nightmare Seeker (The Little Red House) [deluxe edition bonus]

There are some that believe that great art requires hardship and suffering. And those of us following the saga involving Lamb Of God's singer Randy Blyth 's manslaughter cases, the question arose what sort, and if any, music the band would come up with after the ordeal had finished. True to form, the band's new album VII: Sturm Und Drang's album seems to adhere to the adage that art needs pain.

Let's face it, while Resolution and Wrath were good albums, in many ways they were safe and comfortable. The band seemed to be heading down the same path of cut and paste albums that plague a lot of the big players these days.

VII: Sturm Und Drang sees Lamb Of God at their most inspired for a long time. For the first time since Sacrament they throw in new elements including a new willingness to tone it down occasionally (toned down by Lamb Of God standards that is!). "Overlord" channels Alice In Chains with its vocal harmonies whilst Chino Moreno (Deftones) is tastefully incorporated on "Embers."

The classic Lamb Of God groove metal numbers with their massive riffs are still here, even in the mellower tunes. The songs are less conventional and thrashy than Resolution and in many cases go back to Sacrament's Southern style groove or the more hardcore tinged As The Palaces Burn. The result is some of the most instantly memorable melodies since Sacrament.

And the band literally sound like a fire's been lit under their collective derrieres. The delivery is sharp, precise, and intense. Randy in particular and he sounds like a man with something to prove, especially on "512", a song about his time in a Czech prison. As such, even more standard Lamb Of God numbers like "Engage The Fear Machine" sound revitalized.

Whilst this album won't blow the metal world away like their early works, it's certainly a great addition to their catalogue. It's refreshing to see a band willing to go out of their comfort zone and pull off some new sounds. And it's equally great to see an established band such as Lamb Of God get back that passion that attracted the fans to them in the first place.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 8
Production: 8

Written by deadone | 06.08.2015

Comments

Comments: 16   Visited by: 376 users
06.08.2015 - 08:15
Rating: 9
Vale

Phenomenal album, and a great return to form for Lamb of God. I also agree with your points about Resolution and Wrath being safe albums, even though I loved both of those albums.
06.08.2015 - 09:22
Daniell
_爱情_
"some that belief"?
07.08.2015 - 02:53
Rating: 7
flightoficarus
Stamp Tramp
Solid album. I'd put it around the same level as Resolution, better than Wrath or Sacrament. I do not dig "Overlord" at all though. Sounds like a failed Godsmack song (so, like, everyone Godsmack song I guess). "Still Echoes" is a ripping opener.
----
Daily underground metal recommendations at Metal Trenches.
Watch metal content on the Metal Trenches YouTube Channel.
07.08.2015 - 05:18
Rating: 8
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
Yep, there is much to enjoy on this album. Great to have them back. Nice review.
----
The sun shines over The Fool...
07.08.2015 - 09:21
Rating: 7
flightoficarus
Stamp Tramp
Written by Ace Frawley on 07.08.2015 at 05:18

Yep, there is much to enjoy on this album. Great to have them back. Nice review.

Second you on King Me and I agree Saxrament was more original. I just think Resolution has a more consistent sound and it brought back the more extreme vocals I prefer from the earlier albums. I miss the pig squeals. Sacrament had more Anselmo in the vocals and Pantera influence all around. Wrath is the most "safe" imo to the point where a lot of it came off as redundant. It's grown on me, but probably my least favorite.
----
Daily underground metal recommendations at Metal Trenches.
Watch metal content on the Metal Trenches YouTube Channel.
07.08.2015 - 23:08
Panterica

So far I've found the new album their most musical rewarding. Enjoyed each and every song.
----
Li'ed - Prog-Metal from Jerusalem
https://open.spotify.com/artist/7aZWDrAAvDSLMaSmDSE8zA
https://www.facebook.com/LiedBandMusic
http://lied-band.bandcamp.com/
08.08.2015 - 00:02
UPDIRNS

I enjoyed the album thoroughly and agree with the OP completely. This is on the level of Sacrament, but not quite as good. To me Sacrament is their best album. Its a go to album I never get sick of. This album will be in heavy rotation for a while along with Symphony X new album, both are excellent IMO.
08.08.2015 - 19:59
Warman
Erotic Stains
As you said: won't blow you away but a good addition to their discography.
----
09.08.2015 - 06:04
Necrodamus

Good review man. This is my favorite Lamb of God album since Ashes of the Wake. They were somewhat of a gateway band for me many years ago but then they fell off my radar around when Wrath came out. It's safe to say they are back and ready to kick some ass.
09.08.2015 - 06:11
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
Will also say that I feel there is no obvious weak track here. Definitely no filler. Solid stuff.
----
The sun shines over The Fool...
10.08.2015 - 18:05
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by Ace Frawley on 09.08.2015 at 06:11

Will also say that I feel there is no obvious weak track here. Definitely no filler. Solid stuff.

Correct.

A solid comeback album from a band that I always loved. 3rd spin on my pad and it feels amazing seeing new variations tey did in this new album.

I won't say the best record they produced but definitely a very solid concept record ever produced by Lamb Of God.
15.08.2015 - 03:07
Listening to this record was a pleasurable experience, but it left me wanting more. That is to say, most of the songs lack that tenacity and aggression that resolution had. The uitar seems drowned, and the vocals are extremely loud. The production could have been better.
15.08.2015 - 10:21
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by DanielGonalves on 15.08.2015 at 03:07

Listening to this record was a pleasurable experience, but it left me wanting more. That is to say, most of the songs lack that tenacity and aggression that resolution had. The uitar seems drowned, and the vocals are extremely loud. The production could have been better.

Not quite agree with you here.

I found guitar work to be absolutely fine with vocals fitted the best and better than "Resolution".

Yeah, production could have been better as album were bit low when it reached to halfway. Ending of Sturm And Drang is amazing while start has always been fantastic for LoG.

Definitely stepped up work from last albums.
28.12.2015 - 11:43
Rating: 9
Danny Thomas

I hadn't listened to LoG in a while, and looking back I remember liking them at one point, but I didn;t have any lasting good memory to make me go back to them. I saw this album pop up on the side bar of metalstorm at some-point, and said fuck it, i'll pick it up. I had a 3 hour drive, and decided to play it all the way through a few times, and i'll be damned, it was pretty fucking good. i didn;t realize how much I appreciated the vocals and the general sound of the band. what does everyone consider their best albums and i'll go back and check those out
----
Our children are dead. Burnt in the ruins that were left by war.
26.07.2016 - 05:34
Rating: 5
AyΣm
Abyssal Zebra
I don't really like this one. They tried new stuffs, and I can't be angry about that, bands that do all the time the same shit will be boring one day, for sure.
I liked the one before, Resolution, not bad, not my favourite but good songs. More than this one, trully.
In this one, I can only remember three songs, Still Echoes, 512 ( of course...) and Engage the Fear Machine. Those ones are really great in my opinion. The other lack of something...
Then you got wah-wah pedal that doesn't fit well the solo on the second song, just weird.
I don't hate clean vocals, but those used in this album, just no, not my stuff. In Wrath, you heard that Blyth uses multiple voices, and that was really good! Wrath was much better experimentation of voices than this one.
Some riffs aren't really interesting too and used too much, and you got the opposite.
But then it's not shit, powerful riffs in those three songs I really like. And great production, sound is perfect. Lamb of God stays true to extreme music, and I hope they will try other stuffs. I just hope they will not follow the Metallica's path, by doing a black album ( maybe that is why I hate that Overlord song, that remind this Metallica album I hate so much) and then pop rock shit for everybody. Just stay Lamb of God...
Thanks for reading, and sorry for my not really rich english...!
12.12.2017 - 15:12
Temirch

Good review! Concerning album: There are two songs that make the difference: 512 and Still Echoes. They are in my fav list.
----
No more Mr. Nice Guy

Hits total: 8602 | This month: 10