Metal Storm logo
Fields of the Nephilim

22.05.2006 - 04:59
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
I know that we have some fans around here. This man and his band have, through the years, been able to create some really fantastic music. It all edges more towards a Gothic Rock feel, while holding true to a style all their own. I am a fan of the occult so naturally this band draws me in. Not to mention I love McCoy's haunting vocals and the warm guitar riffing found all throughout their works. I really enjoy how this band can jump from eerie soundscapes to all out Rock, blasting away while still keeping the horror amtosphere they are known for. I really enjoy 'Elizium.'

Anyone?
----
The force will be with you, always.
22.05.2006 - 11:05
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
Elizium is probably THE best album I have ever heard.. Its just such a wonderfully and perfectly constructed album.
I love their lyrics (after Dawnrazor, which has a few slightly naive lyrics, although this actually fits into the narrative arc of the first trilogy of LPs...) Its great how the real meaning of the songs is hidden and you can only get them if you've researched a bit into occultism etc. For example, most people consider "Love Under Will" to be a love song or ballad of some sort, while it really actually isnt. It took me over a year to finally figure out what Elizium is actually about also.
05.07.2006 - 08:25
Southern Wind
Account deleted
I agree, Elizium is one of the best albums ever... one of the most thrilling, blood-chilling music being highly emotional without any cliché... The best example of their perfect music is IMO the song "At The Gates Of Silent Memory"
05.07.2006 - 10:10
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
Literally hundreds of doom metal bands have been trying to emulate that song
My personal favorite moment of that album is the last two songs, the music is just pure magic there.
07.07.2006 - 09:46
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
I really enjoy 'For Her Light.' I love it all though.
----
23.07.2006 - 03:32
Bitch Boy

"One more nightmare" is my fav song.

I've got a question... why is this thread outside the melodic metal forum??
23.07.2006 - 07:14
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Written by Bitch Boy on 23.07.2006 at 03:32

I've got a question... why is this thread outside the melodic metal forum??

Most likely because Fields of the Nephilim are not considered Metal. They have been lumped more into the Rock area. To get specific, the Gothic Rock area.
----
23.07.2006 - 14:28
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
Ever since Chaocracy I would call FOTN metal. Carl himself has been quoted saying that he always considered the band to be some form of metal. Still, I actually think this band transcends styles and dumping them into any particular category does not do it justice...
23.07.2006 - 19:16
Bitch Boy

@C-Dub: well, you're right in that point. The lastest works are more electronic, though.
08.09.2006 - 07:09
Telrédion86
Account deleted
Written by jupitreas on 05.07.2006 at 10:10

My personal favorite moment of that album is the last two songs, the music is just pure magic there.

You mean "magick".

Fields of the Nephilim....I think my favorite album is their new one, "Mourning Sun". The majority of the songs send warm shivers throughout my soul; a very electrifying and stunning album. Jupitreas is right about the lyrics - they are one of the bands' strongest points. Carl McCoy is amazing - his vocals, his themes (the occult references particularly), sounds, everything.

The Nefilim, Carl's side project, is definetly metal for sure. "Zoon" is great; by the way that is Aleister Crowley on the front cover in the red robes.
14.09.2006 - 00:27
Procardia
Account deleted
I bought some albums of Fields of Nephilim at FNAC. Curiously I liked their music even though I hate electronic sounds. Electronic or.. gothic. I never knew the meaning of "gothic music".
09.08.2007 - 21:59
NECURATU

I just had to give this topic a bumb...anybody knows if the guys are still around? I really miss them. Their music is one of the best things that bumped into my life.
----
When the sun rises I take my flock on the balks
When the moon rises I tell the woods good night
09.08.2007 - 23:48
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
Well, McCoy is still around and has a band that is called Fields Of The Nephilim, although besides him, no other old members are present so its not really the same thing. Still, they played a sold out gig a few months ago in London and people say that it was good. The other old members are currently playing in two different bands - NFD and Last Rites. Both are sadly quite inferior to the old Neph stuff... Carl has been saying that a new album is also on the way.
11.08.2007 - 16:36
NECURATU

Oh crap. I hate it when it happens like that. Thanks for the info anyway.
----
When the sun rises I take my flock on the balks
When the moon rises I tell the woods good night
01.10.2010 - 04:02
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
I am really into "Mourning Sun" however, it is the only album I own from this band. Are the earlier releases any good?
----
rekt
24.10.2010 - 06:26
the stranger

I'm also only into Mourning Sun. I got that album thanks to the review that was published here and also because of the gothic article that was written years ago where it said that Fields Of The Nephilim was an important act. It just seem fit to get that album which is mind-blowing from beggining to end.
29.03.2019 - 13:04
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Pleased to announce four special UK Headline shows this summer. A limited amount of Pre Sale tickets are now available for all shows on the links below and general ticket sales go live 10am April 1st

June 27th Barrowland Glasgow
June 28th Stylus Leeds
June 29th ROCK CITY Nottingham
June 30th O2 Academy Newcastle -
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing