04. Polaris
05. Acolytes
06. Sum Of All Failures
07. Stillborn Gods
08. The Solipsist (Mirrors Gaze)

Staff review by
Windrider
Rating:
Horrendous are a busy band. It was just last year when they surprised us with their second album Ecdysis, which caused quite some impact on the death metal scene and I still keep it in mind as my favorite album of 2014. Now a year has passed, and out of nothing, the US-Americans announced that their third album is set for a release date before the end of 2015. Anareta is its name and we shall see if it can hold up to its predecessor.

Read more ››
published 18.09.2015 | Comments (8)

Found in 23 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 31   [ 3 ignored ]   Visited by: 405 users
17.08.2015 - 21:14
Maco
Pvt Funderground
New album already?
----
Crackhead Megadeth reigns supreme.
18.08.2015 - 02:06
Fearmeister
Account deleted
Oh wowie
18.08.2015 - 10:27
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Guest on 18.08.2015 at 03:21

Hope it's just The Vermillion under different names.

Huh?
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

18.08.2015 - 11:43
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Guest on 18.08.2015 at 11:26

I hope every track here is just the song 'The Vermillion' off their previous album under 8 different names. It's a stretch but one can wish.

How boring that would be. The same song over and over and over.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

18.08.2015 - 19:47
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Pretty sweet.

This will be another cracker from Horrendous camp.
25.08.2015 - 18:52
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Just finished my first spin of the album... and... wow... another total scorcher by these guys.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

25.08.2015 - 19:13
Zap
Looking forward to it now that it is Marcel approved
04.09.2015 - 09:38
EW

Fantastic album after my first few listens. I really love their style.
04.09.2015 - 13:36
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Yeah it's really good stuff. A very laid back, old school death metal album with shit tons of melody and groove to it. I still think it sounds quite like an early Gothenburg record though at quite a few points, what with the abundance of heavy metal-laden melody and Lindberg / Stanne-ish vocals. 'Sum Of All Failures' could be an At The Gates song I reckon. I like it a lot more than the previous one at any rate. Much more natural sounding and flows better.
04.09.2015 - 18:01
mz

Sum of all failures remindes me of "sum of all fossils". Duno why.
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
04.09.2015 - 18:03
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Yeah it made me think of it too. Probably because Sum of all Fossils is amazing
04.09.2015 - 23:44
Nefarious
Doom Knight
A natural progression from 'Ecdysis' as it follows the same formula yet has a more natural feel/flow, too early to tell as I'm only on my third spin but it could quite possibly be my death metal album of the year so far.
----
"FUCK!!! You're the fucking 5th person asking me in an interview about the woman in the bathtub?The problem is that I AM the fucking person in the bathtub, and I AM a fucking MAN, for fuck's sake! I hate you all!" ~ Herr Morbid
07.09.2015 - 00:53
Rating: 8
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
Yep this only reaffirms my fanboyish love of this band. Fucking brilliant album
07.09.2015 - 14:09
Lit.
Account deleted
This reminds me that I really need to get on this band.
07.09.2015 - 14:36
Joe Zombie

Given a year and they've topped Ecdysis (which I really enjoyed). This and Charnel Passages are a pair of the best death metal records this year. As with Ecdysis, the production here is superb and sounds organic and full. Indeed, this album does have a Gothenburg edge that I'm reminded of throughout. Just another point in its favor. Great songwriting, and an overall awesome record.
22.09.2015 - 08:15
chomskeet

This album is amazing. It might be my favorite full length of the year. Thanks for the review!
22.09.2015 - 13:53
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Did I dream that deadone commented on this thread saying he'd heard a song and though it was ok? I really hope that's not what my dreams are turning into these days.
22.09.2015 - 14:27
Zap
Written by Guest on 22.09.2015 at 13:53

Did I dream that deadone commented on this thread saying he'd heard a song and though it was ok? I really hope that's not what my dreams are turning into these days.

That's a pretty lame dream but I happen to have had it too.
22.09.2015 - 14:47
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Zap on 22.09.2015 at 14:27

That's a pretty lame dream but I happen to have had it too.

Great, now I can go back to dreaming about robots and other cool things.
22.09.2015 - 21:47
chomskeet

It's strange, listening to this album somehow made me want to go back and listen to "The Jester Race," which I haven't heard in at least 5 years. It's funny, that album is even better than I remember it being, too bad almost everything else In Flames did was shit (I saw them live a couple years back, it was sad/awful, don't hate, I went to see someone else who was opening, I think Sylosis). It's like Horrendous are a modern version of what could have happened if Gothenburg metal actually evolved and progressed instead of staying so samey and trite. As much as I like tech-death, it's nice to see songwriting take the forefront. I just checked out Ecdysis too which is also really tight.
29.09.2015 - 17:50
Zap
As with the previous album, everything is just perfect. The killer riffs, the great melodies, the brilliant mix; everything is just spot-on. I can't find a single flaw here.

And yet...

I just don't like listening to it. It's strange, everything is done so well, but somehow I just can't get into it. And it's not in the way of how most extremely technical prog bands are so talented but end up sounding soulless as fuck. No, this has soul, feeling, passion, whatever you wanna call it.

I'd easily recommend this and its predecessor to anyone that might be interested in extreme metal, but just won't listen to it again myself
17.10.2015 - 18:59
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
My take on this is that they replaced the super catchy and accessible melodies of Ecdysis with much much more groove-laden riffing with a seemingly percussive focus, without losing the outstandingly intricate guitar work. Seriously an expertly crafted album, though not quite as addictive as Ecdysis. Naturally I fucking love it regardless
28.10.2015 - 04:11
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
This has got to be one of the most atypical "old school" death metal albums. Odd time-signatures, unusual chords and key progressions, heaps of joyful melody and groove...probably why I enjoyed this so much.
30.10.2015 - 22:49
Jaeryd
Nihil's Maw
Is the album art done by Brian Smith again? I love his style; that guy paints some interesting stuff.
----
23.01.2016 - 10:23
Rating: 7
joshsteph

Felt some Nocturnus/(early) Cynic vibe here and there, and (while it is indeed a good album) the songs are all pretty solid. What I couldn't become friendly with were the vocals. Some more deeper growls (like on The Solipsist) would have been better for my ears, and the instruments are very separated (the drums kinda hidden in the back). It is an interesting album, but didn't convince me at all that the hype around it would be well deserved.
02.02.2016 - 10:52
Rating: 9
musclassia

I was really set to vote Slugdge as DM AOTY, but as the last album I heard of the nominees, this nicked it right at the death. After this and Ecdysis, I feel I need to check out their debut now
20.04.2016 - 19:26
Maco
Pvt Funderground
Gosh this is so excellent...
----
16.09.2016 - 19:58
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Well i dont know... While listening to one song alone seems pleasing, listening to the whole album seems kinda tiring... Just me probably...
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
17.09.2016 - 01:18
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by Guest on 16.09.2016 at 21:45

Written by Deadmeat on 16.09.2016 at 19:58

Well i dont know... While listening to one song alone seems pleasing, listening to the whole album seems kinda tiring... Just me probably...

You still give it a 7. That means that you enjoy it.

the way i rate albums, 7 is a not so good rating.. On the other hand, as i commented first, the album had some nice moments but it failed to overal attract me..
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
09.08.2018 - 05:37
Maco
Pvt Funderground
Way better than Ecdysis
----

Hits total: 7999 | This month: 12