Album: The Boats Of The Glen Carrig
Release date: August 2015

01. The Isle
02. The Thing That Made Search
03. Like Red Foam (The Great Storm)
04. The Weedmen
05. To Mourn Job
06. The Light In The Weed (Mary Madison) [bonus]

Don't call it a comeback. They've been crushing us for years.

Ahab, now on their IVth album, continue their maritime theme as the masters of nautical funeral doom tell the story of the crew of The Boats Of Glenn Danzig. Sailors, adrift in two life boats, beginning their Long Way Back From Hell, a tale of Blood And Tears as they are attacked by pre-Lovecraftian beasts Not Of This World in an attempt to make it home to London.

This is one Mother of an album.

Ok, an end to cheesy Danzig puns, they couldn't be helped, though the summation of The Boats Of "Glen-Carrig" by William Hope Hodgson apparently reads very similarly. Or so Wikipedia tells me. Sorry, had time to listen to the album a dozen times, but not dig up a copy of the book. Just couldn't resist.

What matters most is that this is a return to form from Ahab, rather than continuing the rather skewed path of The Giant. After The Call Of The Wretched Sea and The Divinity Of Oceans, The Giant seemed a hop, a skip and a jump, from points A to B to F on the development chart. TBoGC is much more akin to the first two, particularly Divinity, at least IMBO.

The focus is the rather ocean-like tidal flux between quieter moments and clean vocals that lull you in like calm waters and clear skies before the Tsunami-force doomcrush riffs slam into the listener like that fearsome storm did to the SS Minnow*. This dichotomy is what drives my interest most, the musical and emotional shifting between lament to dread to absolute doom and back to just some light mourning. The band further mix things up, with mid-paced, clearly \m/MEtAL\m/ riffs joined by clean vocals, a la "Red Foam".

Also of equal importance to the style is the emotion and impact. Doom is more than just hammering out a power chord and letting it resonate for 3 minutes while you chug a beer with your strum hand. It's about imparting and impacting the listener. It must evoke something in the listener else it comes across boring or riffing by (very, very slowly counted) numbers. As mentioned in the path prior, the ebbs and flows between styles combined with the vibe makes this album something that draws you in and enables you to live, at least imagine yourself undergoing the trials and tribulations of the seaman trying to live to see just one more day When The Dying Calls.

Sorry, couldn't risk just putting one more in there.

In the meantime, suffice it to say Ahab have returned in mighty fashion.

Sail and Kill!

*Hey, Ahab, if you read this, perhaps "Gilligan's Island" might make good source material for your next? I'd at least love to hear a 10 minute nautik funeral doom version of the theme song. I'm positive you could turn the cheerful tune into the most harrowing and foreboding of ordeals.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 8
Production: 9

Written on 18.08.2015 by BitterCOld has been officially reviewing albums for MetalStorm since 2009.

Comments

Comments: 21   Visited by: 535 users
18.08.2015 - 05:48
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
I couldn't even finish with Anticosm and you drop another motherfucker right in.

It's time to speed up and listen to good records first. My list going size of a full-size python.
18.08.2015 - 05:54
Rating: 9
Opethian

Personally for me 'The Giant' left a bad taste in my mouth. So, honestly i wasn't looking forward to this
18.08.2015 - 09:45
Lionthrone

Day one purchase here. Can't wait.
18.08.2015 - 12:44
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Album who don't need a review, because whit or whit out it it don't change anything . 2 songs so far online and both are awesome
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
18.08.2015 - 13:44
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Hmmm.... so from what you're saying, it sounds as though it's a bit of a return to the sound of the first two albums, with still some slight influences from The Giant. That's what I was looking for, really: The Giant wasn't bad, just went a little too deep into the post-y side of things for my liking.

Also

Quote:

*Hey, Ahab, if you read this, perhaps "Gilligan's Island" might make good source material for your next? I'd at least love to hear a 10 minute nautik funeral doom version of the theme song. I'm positive you could turn the cheerful tune into the most harrowing and foreboding of ordeals.

This. So much this.
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
19.08.2015 - 07:42
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Written by Auntie Sahar on 18.08.2015 at 13:44

Hmmm.... so from what you're saying, it sounds as though it's a bit of a return to the sound of the first two albums, with still some slight influences from The Giant.

Very little Giant. Very little if any at all. It's closest to Divinity, which is probably my fave Ahab album, with enough of Call to make it Marcel's 2nd favorite overall, between Call and Divinity.

So there you have it. Marcel and I like a lot of the same music, but as our twin review of Procession and other topics shows, often we're both attracted to different aspects/songs off artists we both enjoy.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
19.08.2015 - 15:13
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by BitterCOld on 19.08.2015 at 07:42

Very little Giant. Very little if any at all. It's closest to Divinity, which is probably my fave Ahab album, with enough of Call to make it Marcel's 2nd favorite overall, between Call and Divinity.

Haha, that album cover was misleading as fuck then. Seriously, when I first saw that, I just assumed it'd be more atmospheric, what with all the bright colors and shit. Joke's on me, I guess
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
19.08.2015 - 19:04
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Auntie Sahar on 19.08.2015 at 15:13

Written by BitterCOld on 19.08.2015 at 07:42

Haha, that album cover was misleading as fuck then. Seriously, when I first saw that, I just assumed it'd be more atmospheric, what with all the bright colors and shit. Joke's on me, I guess

More often than not. Artworks dont mean shit.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
21.08.2015 - 14:54
Rating: 10
Daniell
_爱情_
Full album stream:
http://www.cvltnation.com/cvlt-nation-premiere-streaming-ahab-the-boats-of-the-glen-carrig/
22.08.2015 - 12:10
Daniell
_爱情_
So far, this is the only rival for Tribulation in the album of the year category.
22.08.2015 - 14:02
Rating: 6
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
Written by Daniell on 22.08.2015 at 12:10

So far, this is the only rival for Tribulation in the album of the year category.

Think I'll have to get this one then. The Tribulation album has been one of my favourites this year as well. I think the new one from Paradise Lost is very strong too, so it's been a good year. Even the Lamb of God album was solid.
----
The sun shines over The Fool...
22.08.2015 - 20:44
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress

Leviathan? AFOS? Death Karma?
----

~ II. VII
22.08.2015 - 20:50
Daniell
_爱情_
Written by Auntie Sahar on 22.08.2015 at 20:44

Huh?
22.08.2015 - 21:17
Chobo_jokeR

Written by Daniell on 22.08.2015 at 20:50

Huh?

I think he's listing 3 other bands that have albums out there that are album of the year contenders as well.

I've only fully listened to the Death Karma album, which was quite good, but it wouldn't been in my AOTY category.

EDIT: Went back and looked at what I gave Death Karma haha, guess it technically would be in my AOTY category as I rated it a 9. Guess it needs another spin. My 5 albums in there right now would be the new ones from Enslaved, Bell Witch, Cattle Decapitation, Minsk, and High on Fire. I have a feeling this album is going to be in there too.
22.08.2015 - 21:25
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by Chobo_jokeR on 22.08.2015 at 21:17

Bell Witch

Another serious contender, fantastic album.

But anyway, don't want to disrespect Craig too much here with hijacking this thread with AOTY recommendations

----

~ II. VII
24.08.2015 - 11:01
Daniell
_爱情_
Having heard Bell Witch, Death Karma and Leviathan, I can repeat what I said before. "The Boats of the Glen Carrig" is a magnificent release and it's a strong contender for album of the year. The only album that instilled so much awe in me this year was Tribulation. Of course, there are quite a few other great albums (Bell Witch out of those mentioned), so it's a matter of personal taste.

Ahab surprised my be quite a bit, I must admit. I expected they would follow up on their post-doomy "The Giant". But the new album fits somewhere between "Call" and "Divinity", perhaps closer to "Divinity". The songs on the album are VERY well written, and the proportion between acoustic, atmospheric passages and crushingly heavy outbursts is perfect. The surprising "Like Red Foam" shows the band's versatility. This uptempo song is an indication of what a talented bunch these guys are - if they want, they can switch to a new genre and pump out great songs too. This is definitely one of the most interesting doom bands around.

My personal order of Ahab's albums:
1. "The Call of the Wretched Sea" - 10
2. "The Boats of the Glen Carrig" - 9.2
3. "The Divinity of Oceans" - 9
4. "The Giant" - 8

EDIT: "The Thing That Made Search" is a monster of a song!
25.08.2015 - 03:57
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by Daniell on 24.08.2015 at 11:01

Ahab surprised my be quite a bit, I must admit

Seconded. I'm on my second playthrough now, and while I'm not sure I'd call it AOTY material just yet, it's certainly a contender for Biggest Surprise at the very least
----

~ II. VII
29.08.2015 - 23:43
Hood's Gate

I've been listening to this album over and over. For me, I personally feel the most attached to The Divinity of Oceans by these guys because of how the songs are sung about the actual events of the Essex. But this album is seriously competing for my favorite by them easily. Ahab is an amazing band.
29.09.2015 - 20:25
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Written by Daniell on 24.08.2015 at 11:01

EDIT: "The Thing That Made Search" is a monster of a song!

Seconded. It is truly monstrous and breathtaking.
01.10.2015 - 20:43
Rating: 8
flightoficarus
Stamp Tramp

This. I would add Abyssal to the list as well. And many might disagree, but also the new BTBAM.
----
Daily underground metal recommendations at Metal Trenches.
Listen to the Trench Talk podcast.
01.10.2015 - 20:44
Rating: 8
flightoficarus
Stamp Tramp
Also, mad bonus points to this review for applying an LL Cool J reference to a doom metal album.
----
Daily underground metal recommendations at Metal Trenches.
Listen to the Trench Talk podcast.

Hits total: 11601 | This month: 10