N/A

23 users:
Band: Dark Buddha Rising
Album: Inversum
Style: Dark Ambient, Drone doom metal
Release date: September 2015

01. E S O
02. E X O

A bell is struck in a silent temple. Black clouds gather over the Himalayas. A yogi lights incense in a forest, isolated. He approaches death, and is ready for the trip.

The yogi hears a resounding hum all around him, a quiet, yet powerful drone. He blinks off and on, as his vision begins to gradually darken before vanishing entirely. He feels the full, heaving force of his consciousness as it is ejected from its earthly shell and thrust into the bardo. It is weightless, and feeling at bliss as he enters this transitory state, the yogi can hear endless layers of sounds all around him, intermingling, and unsettled in their intent. He imagines the chants of the healers from his village, and they are there, as a steady pulse in the void that guides him on his way. He pictures the rains during monsoon season, and hears them, as the heavy beating of drums and the thud of guitars within the background. Clearly, reality in this new realm is shaped by his consciousness.

With this sudden realization, the yogi's environment takes a turn for the ominous. Unable to control his thoughts, features shift and sway radically all around him, as his environment becomes a tempest too strong to command. He hears his fear, projected outward now as terrible shrieks, enhanced by loud whooshing noises encircling them. Looking upwards, the yogi can see a dark Buddha rising on the horizon, with a head of flame, and surrounded by two dancing snakes. The yogi's thoughts begin racing now, tripping over each other in a frenzied panic, faster and faster, and the hum from earlier intensifies now in its volume. The rain he imagined now begins to fall at a manic pace, with the shrieks and chants accompanying into a frightening, yet magnificent climax.

And then, when the combination of everything feels as if it is almost too much to bear, the yogi is thrust like lighting through the void, blurring his surroundings, and headed straight to the open jaws of the dark Buddha. Things have come to a standstill now. He exits the mouth of death.

The journey is complete, yet starts anew
Tranquility regained
He can hear a baby's crying
More is yet to come

Written on 25.08.2015 by Metal Storm’s own Babalao. Comforting the disturbed and disturbing the comfortable since 2013.

Comments

Comments: 11   Visited by: 211 users
25.08.2015 - 10:18
Rating: 9
Maratha
The yogi must be found in the newly begun journey.
25.08.2015 - 13:28
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
elite
Written by Maratha on 25.08.2015 at 10:18

The yogi must be found in the newly begun journey.

In case you're wondering, those last four lines are my way of saying that the yogi has been reincarnated into the body of a new baby, so "more is yet to come" in a new life. But, at the same time, after hearing this album, the musical journey is over as well, and I'm eagerly awaiting "more to come" from the band itself
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
25.08.2015 - 21:14
Lionthrone
I've been listening to Dakhmandal a lot lately but their earlier work sure is hard to find. I'm hopeful this new album is good and accessible in all the major legal locations. Looking forward to it!
25.08.2015 - 22:04
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
elite
Written by Lionthrone on 25.08.2015 at 21:14

I've been listening to Dakhmandal a lot lately but their earlier work sure is hard to find. I'm hopeful this new album is good and accessible in all the major legal locations. Looking forward to it!

Doing some research now, and I'm able to find all their material for buy online. It is, however, crazy expensive, probably because they're a pretty obscure band, they usually release stuff on vinyl only, and there are a limited number of copies.

In comparison to Dakhmandal, I'd say this one's a lot more droney and formless. Dakhmandal was more drone DOOM than pure drone, and therefore a lot more structured at points (especially that K track)... this meanwhile is more like their older material in the sense that it's very free flowing and has less of a clear sense of direction.
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
26.08.2015 - 01:13
Zap
Wow, this is one of your best reviews if you ask me.
Gonna check the album out soon, have only listened to Dakhmandal so far (which I really liked, although I haven't listened to it since it came out or something,) but you made me wanna check this band out further, so good on you for that.
26.08.2015 - 01:22
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
elite
Written by Zap on 26.08.2015 at 01:13

Wow, this is one of your best reviews if you ask me.
Gonna check the album out soon, have only listened to Dakhmandal so far (which I really liked, although I haven't listened to it since it came out or something,) but you made me wanna check this band out further, so good on you for that.

Thanks for the kind words
Yeah, I was wondering whether the different format would be a hit or a miss with people... glad it seems to be the former! As far as listening to the band goes, like I kinda said above... each of their albums kind of varies, in terms of whether it sits more towards a heavier drone doom sound, or a more shapeless, pure drone approach. I'm sure someone of your tastes will find a little something to enjoy in each of them
----

~ II. VII
26.08.2015 - 06:18
Rating: 9
Maratha
Quote:
In case you're wondering, those last four lines are my way of saying that the yogi has been reincarnated into the body of a new baby, so "more is yet to come" in a new life. But, at the same time, after hearing this album, the musical journey is over as well, and I'm eagerly awaiting "more to come" from the band itself

I've just heard the sample on soundcloud of Inversum uploaded by neurot records. So yes, the review you put up marks the exact sense of understanding of the musical voyage created by these drone doom purveyors. Will have to listen to the whole album to clearly understand the choices that have come in the path of the yogi's life journey.
The album seems short for their previous material length though.
But in any case, I've tried to perceive the sample in the light of your review, and yes, the 'more to come' aspect plays a major role here. A unique blending of understanding ancient life practices of natives from north India have been put on display for the readers, It makes Inversum highly anticipated.
26.08.2015 - 14:20
Zap
Written by Auntie Sahar on 26.08.2015 at 01:22

Yeah, I was wondering whether the different format would be a hit or a miss with people... glad it seems to be the former!

I imagine it won't click with everyone, but I like a different kind of review every now and then.
26.08.2015 - 22:22
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
elite
Written by Maratha on 26.08.2015 at 06:18

The album seems short for their previous material length though.

It is, Dakhmandal was about 80 minutes in length, this is more around 50. So considerably shorter, but still great.
I remember when I first saw the announcement for this in my updates, I saw that it was only two tracks and at first thought that it was just an EP
----

~ II. VII
30.08.2015 - 02:20
Rating: 8
ScreamingSteelUS
Editor-in-Chief
admin
I'd say this is easily one of the best reviews featured on this site.
----
"Earth is small and I hate it" - Lum Invader

I'm the Agent of Steel.
30.08.2015 - 02:54
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
elite
Written by ScreamingSteelUS on 30.08.2015 at 02:20

I'd say this is easily one of the best reviews featured on this site.

Thank you very much!
I think we need a more unorthodox one or two like this every now and then just to keep things fresh and interesting, and I'm very happy that in general the MS community both tolerates and supports it.
----

~ II. VII

Hits total: 5864 | This month: 9