Metal Storm logo
Opeth - 'Deliverance' And 'Damnation' To Be Re-Released Together

Opeth has just announced a special release, particularly for the fans of their Deliverance and Damnation albums. Deliverance & Damnation is a double album almost 15 years in the making, which will be made available on October 30th via Music For Nations. Originally released separately in 2002 and 2003 respectively, these sessions were written and recorded together and it's time for Music For Nations to present the album as a complete piece.

Music For Nations will issue the double album in two beautifully reissued formats that includes new stereo and 5.1 mixes, with artwork redesigned by original designer Travis Smith; liner notes by Mikael Åkerfeldt and Jerry Ewing of Prog in a lavish four-disc bookset as well as triple vinyl on classic 180-gram black vinyl.

Mikael Åkerfeldt comments: "Myself and Martin Mendez are very excited to see the re-release(s) of Deliverance and Damnation coming out. The 5.1 surround mix for Damnation was done a while ago by my buddy and co-producer for both albums, Steven Wilson, and I've been itching to have it released as it's simply stunning! My new-ish friend, Bruce Soord, has done a fantastic remix for Deliverance, literally giving new life to the record and making me start loving it. Finally! It was with pure excitement I went through the tracks, discovering them again. I'm especially impressed with the sound of Martin Lopez's drums but also baffled by how wicked and strange this album is. I'm scratching my head wondering how the hell we came up with these songs. On top of everything, our old-time head of art, Travis Smith, has touched up on the artwork having it looking great (bleak) too! Enjoy!"

Joel De'ath of Music For Nations adds: "What an honour to work with Opeth on these seminal albums, and to bring them together makes this all the more special. A career highlight."

"Deliverance & Damnation" four-disc bookset can be preordered at this location. The "Deliverance & Damnation" triple LP can be preordered at this location.

4 Disc (2CD/2DVD) Book Set:
  • New Stereo and 5.1 mixes by Steven Wilson (Damnation) and Bruce Soord (Deliverance)
  • Liner notes by Mikael Åkerfeldt from Opeth and Jerry Ewing of Prog Magazine
  • New unseen photos
  • Redesigned artwork from original designer, Travis Smith
  • Loving presented in a beautiful book set

3LP 180g Black Vinyl:
  • New Stereo mixes by Steven Wilson (Damnation) and Bruce Soord (Deliverance)
  • 180g Black vinyl
  • Mastered for vinyl by Jaime Gomez
  • Redesigned artwork from original designer, Travis Smith

Source: facebook.com
    Band profile: Opeth
  • Posted: 12.09.2015 by Bad English

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
    Comments: 17   Visited by: 243 users
    12.09.2015 - 22:21
    Korah

I was about to say that I don't care but seeing the picture I changed my mind
    ----
    Don't cry for my English
    12.09.2015 - 22:35
    LeKiwi
    High Fist Prog
    Written by Korah on 12.09.2015 at 22:21

I was about to say that I don't care but seeing the picture I changed my mind

Even then...monies
    12.09.2015 - 23:11
    MelancholiaC

Very exciting release! Since Deliverance and Damnation are yet missing from my Opeth collection, I'm definitely putting my money on this one.
    13.09.2015 - 00:01
    pantherace

"...literally giving new life to the record and making me start loving it. Finally! It was with pure excitement I went through the tracks, discovering them again. I'm especially impressed with the sound of Martin Lopez's drums but also baffled by how wicked and strange this album is. I'm scratching my head wondering how the hell we came up with these songs." Good, so after listening to your older stuff again maybe you're remembering what Opeth sounded like before you turned it into the mediocre prog-rock sideshow it's become and maybe want to start making heavy shit again? When I listen to Deliverance I've been scratching my head wondering how the hell you lost your balls.
    13.09.2015 - 02:57
    LeKiwi
    High Fist Prog
    Written by pantherace on 13.09.2015 at 00:01

"...literally giving new life to the record and making me start loving it. Finally! It was with pure excitement I went through the tracks, discovering them again. I'm especially impressed with the sound of Martin Lopez's drums but also baffled by how wicked and strange this album is. I'm scratching my head wondering how the hell we came up with these songs." Good, so after listening to your older stuff again maybe you're remembering what Opeth sounded like before you turned it into the mediocre prog-rock sideshow it's become and maybe want to start making heavy shit again? When I listen to Deliverance I've been scratching my head wondering how the hell you lost your balls.

Chill bruv Plus it's probably some shit he made up on behalf of the label.
    13.09.2015 - 04:43
    MelancholiaC

I miss the more extreme sound of Opeth as well, but out of this duality I think Damnation is superior to Deliverance. Am I the only one? Actually I would have been more satisfied if Opeth had chosen to explore their softer realms in the direction of Damnation rather than in the style of the last two albums.
    13.09.2015 - 12:08
    BloodTears
    ANA-thema
    Written by MelancholiaC on 13.09.2015 at 04:43

I miss the more extreme sound of Opeth as well, but out of this duality I think Damnation is superior to Deliverance. Am I the only one? Actually I would have been more satisfied if Opeth had chosen to explore their softer realms in the direction of Damnation rather than in the style of the last two albums.

I think I prefer Deliverance. I find that most people actually prefer Damnation much more. But both of them have really good songs. Since I already have both of these, there is no point in buying this though.
    ----
    Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
    13.09.2015 - 12:58
    Zap

Couldn't agree more. I also think Deliverance is the worst Opeth album pre-Heritage. And if they had explored the Damnation sound after Watershed instead of the prog rock I would have been fine with it.
    13.09.2015 - 13:49
    Jaeryd
    Nihil's Maw
    Written by LeKiwi on 13.09.2015 at 02:57

Chill bruv Plus it's probably some shit he made up on behalf of the label.

Yeah, it almost sounds like he'd rather be saying "I'm baffled by how wickedly messy and strange this album is. I'm scratching my head wondering how the hell we came up with these crappy songs." Don't get me wrong, I like the Deliverance album a lot, but it's definitely one of their worst albums... and I'm sure Mikael, in his current state of all-70s-prog-all-the-time, would definitely have the opinion that it's not very good. I could be wrong--maybe he genuinely likes it--but for some reason I don't think so.
    ----
    13.09.2015 - 14:10
    Marcel Hubregtse
    Grumpy Old Fuck

I miss the more extreme sound of Opeth as well, but out of this duality I think Damnation is superior to Deliverance. Am I the only one?

No you're not. I am also of that opinion.

I remember at the time those two were recorded that the band said they would release a soft album and a heavy one.
    Deliverance hit the stores and me and my friends bought it and after listening to it said "Okay, this is clearly the soft album." How wrong we were.
    ----
    Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
    Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
    05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

13.09.2015 - 19:44
    Nicko's Nose

Looks like the discs will be in cardboard sleeves = fail.
    13.09.2015 - 19:55
    qnick90

Well, I think that the reason for that is he lost his ability to growl (he still can do it, but it sounds weaker and it is hurting him - he once saind "I never had that sore throat feel after growling, but now I do"). Otherwise I think that he would make some bonus songs or something like that for the old fans - or perhaps, he would have stayed with bloodbath.
    But I am wondering, if this was caused by the in ear monitors as he said, that he was trying to overcompensate it and he hurt his throat (sure, if soundman cannot setup it properly, then yeah, you´re pretty much fucked)
    13.09.2015 - 23:07
    Opethian

Written by Nicko's Nose on 13.09.2015 at 19:44

Looks like the discs will be in cardboard sleeves = fail.

My thoughts and fear exactly. I already own these two albums this is just a cash grab. Nothing new or special about this re - release
    14.09.2015 - 03:58
    BenWasHere

Why the hate for Deliverance? I've always loved this album. Deliverance, A Fair Judgement, Master's Apprentices are all great tracks. Damnation is great too.
    14.09.2015 - 08:12
    My arms your hearse also needs a re-release, is the birth of Opeth.
    16.09.2015 - 18:04
    BehzadSh

Written by BenWasHere on 14.09.2015 at 03:58

Why the hate for Deliverance? I've always loved this album. Deliverance, A Fair Judgement, Master's Apprentices are all great tracks. Damnation is great too.

Damnation was the first album I heard from Opeth, I loved the albums, melodies and lyrics. Deliverance, is also one of my favorite albums. The songs BenWasHere mentioned are in my top 10 best songs of Opeth playlist.

I enjoyed the last two albums too, but not as well as other releases. I hope if there will be no more growl, songs would be like damnation or lighter songs in Ghost Reveries and Watershed
    ----
    http://www.last.fm/user/behzadsh
    19.09.2015 - 19:38
    theembryo

Deliverance and Still Life are the most listened to studio bits for me, if I had to choose, so I am glad to see the double release, also available as the 5.1 as well!

Hits total: 3827 | This month: 3