04. Without You
05. Kiss Of Fire
06. Charon
07. To Hell And Back
08. In My Darkest Hour
09. Run With The Devil
10. Swan Song
11. Legend

Fantastic production and instrumental prowess make up for some cheesy song titles & lyrics.

Over the years Symphony X have been a common initiation into progressive metal; though perhaps after listening to the 'gateway' band of the genre, Dream Theater. Since 2002 Symphony X have not been overly prolific, generally taking 4-5 years between album releases. However, they've always made it worth the wait and Underworld is no exception. Their 2015 album is certainly not a radical reinvention of style, but rather a solid continuation of the prog-power metal sound of their last two albums: Paradise Lost and Iconoclast. There are also hints to the more classical elements of their earlier works like V: The New Mythology Suite and even The Divine Wings of Tragedy. For the most part, these classical elements are blended seamlessly with the more modern and accessible sound of their last two albums.

A standout track would definitely be "Without You"; A beautiful ballad in a similar vein to "Paradise Lost" and "When All is Lost". It greatly benefits from Underworld's incredible production, with a particular highlight being the exquisite acoustic guitar and raindrop-like synths in the middle section.

Those familiar with Symphony X will likely be neither surprised nor disappointed with Underworld, as the technical prowess of all the members has certainly not diminished. The tracks aren't overly samey either - a trap Iconoclast fell into in its second half. The nine minute epic "To Hell and Back" has a very catchy chorus, though it is not quite on par with past epics like "The Accolade" and "Revelation (Divus Pennae ex Tragoedia)".

Despite having some rather cliched lyrics and song names, the fantastic instrumentations more than make up for this shortcoming. The closing track "Legend" is a stellar example of this, with a very tasty opening riff which I would consider one of Michael Romeo's best of his career. It's catchy and epic as hell, despite some of the lyrics, and ends Underworld on a very positive note.

In terms of production, Underworld is their most polished album yet, though some fans may prefer the raw sound of their earlier releases. Overall it does not disappoint, with enough memorable moments to ensure it is not a redundant addition to their discography. This cannot be said for the many artists who are twenty plus years into their career. In a time where progressive metal is long past being an innovative new genre, it is impressive that Symphony X can still release one of the most consistent metal albums of 2015.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 10
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 7
Production: 10

Written by Boris_Pembroke | 27.09.2015

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Staff review by
Belegûr
Rating:
After 4 years of waiting since the release of Iconoclast, Symphony X return with Underworld, an album that may divide fans of the band depending on the expectations placed on this 9th studio effort.

Read more ››
published 13.07.2015 | Comments (38)

Guest review by
qlacs
Rating:
N/A
In medias res - I guess I'm just missing some neoclassical bits and the monumental compositions that grab me and drag me along from start to finish.

Read more ››
published 21.02.2018 | Comments (1)

Comments

Comments: 4   Visited by: 120 users
27.09.2015 - 18:47
Rating: 8
Belegûr
Arise In Might!
Started with an 8.9 myself, but dropped it. I definitely agree with the production score and your views on the lyrics and song names. I think it was Michael Romeo that impressed me the most and helped me boost the performance and final score of the album.
28.09.2015 - 18:28
Rating: 9
mariano

For me, the standout tracks are Underworld and To Hell And Back. The latter keeps growing in me, can't stop listening inside my head the bridge part where it says "On and on and on... No quarter asked, no quarter given"
02.11.2015 - 16:25
FelixtheMetalcat

I would have to completely agree with the assessment of this album. Having lived with it now for a few months, it is a step up (for me) from Iconoclast due to the references to their older material while still being in their more modern vein. They have reintroduce more keyboard work in this album which also makes me happy while remaining heavy. All in all, Symphony X is just a great metal band !
22.12.2018 - 23:43
BlankFile

Love the concept and the agressivness of the álbum. With "Underworld", SX have really matured their heaviest side. I really dig it, altough I miss some of the neoclassical elements they´ve used to had in their sound. Highlights for me are: "Underworld", "Without You", "Kiss of Fire", "To Hell and Back", "In My Darkest Hour", "Run With the Devil" and "Legend"

Hits total: 2687 | This month: 5