Metal Storm logo
Deathcore

Original post

Posted by Clintagräm, 08.03.2007 - 17:58
I hadn't made a topic in a while and I was just listening to Job For A Cowboy and The Faceless and I was wondering what everyone thought about this new breed of Death/Metalcore mix known as "Deathcore?" I am still in the middle as to whether or not I like it, as they often present mosh-friendly music, but a lot of their music sounds similar. Does anyone else have any thoughts about this genre? Bands would be:

Through the Eyes of the Dead
Beneath the Massace
The Faceless
From A Second Story Window
Glass Casket
Animosity
Job For A Cowboy
17.03.2012 - 14:06
Branzig

I don't generally care for Deathcore at all...but I will admit that old-school "Through the Eyes of the Dead" is one of my deep down and dirty guilty pleasures.
----
In Grind We Crust
17.03.2012 - 21:44
Uldreth

Found this on Bandcamp. Looks like the guys are a fan of BoO but I found this to be pretty decent nontheless.
EP freely downloadable from Bandcamp anyways.
12.03.2014 - 15:22
Darkside Momo
Retired
In response to the latest locked topic...

Check THIS
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
12.03.2014 - 15:25
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Completely forgot about that article. Some pretty decent recs for sure, even if it does read like a Boxcar article.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
12.03.2014 - 17:55
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
I'll just leave this here.

----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
12.03.2014 - 18:36
Lit.
Account deleted
^...And when you get tired of that:

Well plaid, WC. Well plaid, indeed.
12.03.2014 - 20:14
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
With this thread I concluded something: I don't know the difference between metalcore and deathcore.
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
12.03.2014 - 20:24
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Karlabos on 12.03.2014 at 20:14
With this thread I concluded something: I don't know the difference between metalcore and deathcore.

Unless you listen extensively to both, it can be hard to differentiate. The same applies to deathcore and brutal death metal. It's one of those things you just kind of "know" after a while, although stylistically there are some differences.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
12.03.2014 - 23:10
Mattybu

Karlabos: As far as I know metalcore is more like thrashy beats but melodic leads and the switchy vocals style between cleans and growls. Whereas deathcore doesn't have any clean vocals and makes more use of brutal death metal beats and a lot of breakdowns. Mind you my knowledge on either genre isn't extensive.

And on "Boxcar article".... SHOTS FIRED
14.03.2014 - 00:25
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Mattybu on 12.03.2014 at 23:10

I take it as a compliment. That's a fun read. Much more interesting than any "proper" article.
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
14.03.2014 - 01:58
Lit.
Account deleted
^Counter-Terrorists Win.
14.03.2014 - 03:31
Mattybu

Written by Boxcar Willy on 14.03.2014 at 00:25

Written by Mattybu on 12.03.2014 at 23:10

I take it as a compliment. That's a fun read. Much more interesting than any "proper" article.

I'm down for the on the fly format sometimes too, I imagine if I wrote an article it would be similarly "unproper".... it's just too bad you aren't the type to get all offended and start a big catfight, those are fun
16.03.2014 - 08:27
SuicidalCyco
Account deleted
I do not like deathcore. At all. Locally there are more deathcore bands than anything else and its extremely annoying. They all sound the same, chug chug chug, breakdown after breakdown. Awful stuff I think.
17.03.2014 - 00:13
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Guest on 16.03.2014 at 08:27

I do not like deathcore. At all. Locally there are more deathcore bands than anything else and its extremely annoying. They all sound the same, chug chug chug, breakdown after breakdown. Awful stuff I think.

AND SUDDENLY

----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
17.03.2014 - 00:47
SuicidalCyco
Account deleted
Written by Boxcar Willy on 17.03.2014 at 00:13

Written by Guest on 16.03.2014 at 08:27

AND SUDDENLY

I'm not sure what that is supposed to mean.
17.03.2014 - 01:09
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Guest on 17.03.2014 at 00:47

Just posting some deathcore that isn't so run-of-the-mill for you.
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
17.03.2014 - 03:21
SuicidalCyco
Account deleted
Written by Boxcar Willy on 17.03.2014 at 01:09

Written by Guest on 17.03.2014 at 00:47

Just posting some deathcore that isn't so run-of-the-mill for you.

Ah okay, makes sense. I will check it out man.
26.03.2014 - 15:34
s_t_s

Deathcore isn't my fave kind of music but I really love All Shall Perish albums and I'm pretty pissed off since I heard about Hermida leaving the band Hope the other guys will keep going as they promised to and that the band will kick ass once more. In the meantime gotta say I've discovered Carnifex and their latest effort is quite enjoyable !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1hafyakGXE
27.03.2014 - 01:48
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
So long as good deathcore bands are still going I couldn't care less what All Shall Perish are up to.
----
31.03.2014 - 00:27
Uldreth

Written by Karlabos on 12.03.2014 at 20:14

Metalcore in its purest sense is more hardcore than metal, basically a spastic and abrasive form of hardcore with metal tones and technicality, but not really metal riffs and progressions. I still consider it to be metal though.

Then there is "melodic metalcore" which is gothenburg or thrash with some actual metalcore elements, but that is mostly metal.

Deathcore is "melodic metalcore" that takes more from actual death metal than thrash or gothenburg. They tend to use growls as vocals along with higher shrieks as opposed to hardcore vocals and tend to use death metal tremolo riffs and blast beats. Also they tend to put a greater emphasis on breakdowns compared to metalcore bands.

Also since it was requested by Lit. and Psykometal, I am leaving this here:

http://www.metalstorm.net/users/list.php?list_id=3583
17.05.2014 - 13:08
God of shadows

Haven't checked out either Ion Dissonance nor Beneath The Massacre, BUT I would consider myself having some experience with deathcore.

Since it seem that there's many that's not big on liking deathcore, and I want to tell some of my opinions about a few comments:

1. Saying you don't like deathcore because of the "bree" is like saying you don't like candy because of the licourice. Very few bands that uses that kind of vocals, and just shows that you haven't heard that much of deathcore, or just heard the "licourice" of deathcore.

2. Yes, I can understand if you don't like the extensive amount of breakdowns in deathcore, since it's one of the elements in deathcore. Personally though I like them, and some can be pretty damn epic. It's a matter of taste, as it always is when it comes to something you can choose from.

3. There are actually a few deathcore bands that uses clean vocals, but, again with this licourice thing, a pretty stupid reason to dislike deathcore imo.

4. EVERYTHING sounds the same from a distance when you're inexperienced with it. To show you an example, my grandparents(was raised by them rather than mom and dad) also have told me plenty of times that all metal sound the same, and they haven't really listened to it themselves. The more experience and closer you come to something, the more details you notice. That's probably why I think deathcore can be pretty diverse, though I can absolutely understand people thinking it sounds generic.
I guess you choose what kind of things you want to take a closer look to and see its details.

5. I have a few experiences myself with the "newbie core fans" that can say things like: "I also listen to death metal, like suicide silence and bring me the horizon", "omg I also listen to deathcore!!! I love, like, 3 different bands", "Killswitch Engage is a good deathcore band", "We Came As Romans iz te heavizt shiet out ther" and the likes. That can be pretty annoying even for a more experienced deathcore "fan" myself. The only way to fix this is to educate them, one aren't really helping if you throw profanities at these people, even if you're boiling with frustration over their stupidity.

And now to recommendations, since it seems to be pretty scarce with new additions here. Trying to give you some interesting and/or unique bands as well. Let's see if I manage that...

Ovid's Withering - I wouldn't limit them to being JUST a deathcore band, but since they have elements from it I'll include them. A pretty new band that seems to appeal to plenty of people, and their vocals are apocalyptically epic. My favourite band as well.

Aegaeon - Often when I listen to them I get a feeling like drifting and floating through space. They don't have any of that high pitched screams that most deathcore bands has, which I really like about them. And their new vocalist is, with risk of sounding like a typical "brocore fan", brutal.

Acrania - Fast as hell and feels like a combination between deathcore and brutal death metal, these guys has some of the best lyrics I've encountered, and I'm not that big into reading lyrical content for that matter.

The Browning - They're a "love them or hate them" band, which combines deathcore with... electronic? Even if their lyrical content can be pretty lae at times they are indeed broading the deathcore horizon imo.

Disfiguring The Goddess - Before you throw rotten tomatoes at me, YES, I know they're first and foremost a brutal death band, but since they(or him, since it's a one man band) contain some deathcore I throw them/him into this recommendation list. If you listen to more brutal stuff you might want to try DTG before trying a more "pure" deathcore band.

Make Them Suffer - At least on their debut full-length and their material before that is worth a listen. Symphonic deathcore might have got a bad reputation from Winds Of Plague(though personally I like them), you might reconsider it being that bad after listening to MTS.

Hopefully you might find something on this list being decent at least, and hopefully I can add some more goodies in the future.
----
"Everything will be ok
I'll just sit down and watch some bullshit"
-Acrania
11.04.2020 - 23:25
Dxrk1sm

The genre has evolved a lot lately, Blackened Deathcore is dominating the genre at the moment.